Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Gold Status Match

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Just received status match from P25K to WS Gold. Also curious if the Gold packages will be mailed out for this first phase?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
  1. By August 31, 2018, send in proof of your current frequent flyer status (valid till February 28, 2019) with a competitive Canadian airline to [email protected]?subject=Status%20match%202 018 and get Gold until October 31, 2018.*
Does that mean they'll match my UA Gold since AC hasn't had a frequent flyer program since 2002 and UA is an AC partner?

Also, get the WestJet RBC® World Elite Mastercard‡ between July 23 and December 31,2018 and receive 120 bonus WestJet dollars. Plus, you’ll have your Gold status extended to August 31, 2019.
Does that mean that if I have that card I don't have to fly those 6 segments on WS (would be hard to justify since WS doesn't fly out of MAN/LBA (* Does)!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
since AC hasn't had a frequent flyer program since 2002
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith

See this timeline, basically AC used to have a FFP called Aeroplan where you would earn miles flying on AC and *A partners to earn status which gave you various benefits. Then in 2002 they spun off the frequent flyer program first to Onyx then to Aimia. Since then there hasn't been a 1:1 correspondence between frequent flyer program and airline (it has been somewhat loosely defined as Altitude which tracks the airline part of Aeroplan). To top it off there are additional statuses you can gain with Aeroplan (i.e. Aeroplan Diamond) which offer different benefits in terms of redemption and rebooking award flights. In any event, the integration between the airline and the milage program went away since then to the point where if things go sideways your Altitude status doesn't mean anything since it is Aimia not AC who is holding your award ticket.

It'll be interesting to see in 2020 what AC's frequent flyer program looks like and how it compares to other leading programs like UA's MilagePlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, etc both in terms of gaining status (and the benefits associated with it) and how tightly AC handles award redemptions. Certainly not have two disjoint entities to deal with I suspect will make things easier for AC's most loyal flyers. We'll see what they do for redemption rates and carrier surcharges as well (hopefully they leave UA and other * partners alone).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
This isn't the right thread to discuss further, but the statement that "AC hasn't had a frequent flyer program since 2002" is indeed as much a head-scratcher as others have expressed. Altitude is their current frequent flyer program, and prior to that, Aeroplan was -- regardless of ownership. Suggesting otherwise is nonsense and contradicts reality.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Just received status match from P25K to WS Gold. Also curious if the Gold packages will be mailed out for this first phase?
How long between request and receiving the match?

Also very curious as to if we will receive the Gold package
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by stevescott1983
How long between request and receiving the match?

Also very curious as to if we will receive the Gold package
Submitted request on July 31st and received email August 2nd saying the status match was successful.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:08 am

leading programs like …. SkyMiles
Someone's drinking the cool aid!
DL runs a great airline, but their FFP is pretty piss-poor.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by cedric
Someone's drinking the cool aid!
DL runs a great airline, but their FFP is pretty piss-poor.
They're all pretty piss-poor these days, aren't they? But I'd have a hard time saying DL's program is any worse than AC's.

If you have status and fly ex-YYZ or other point with fewer status pax, your chances of getting upgraded are excellent - and with no R Games ......... Flight redemptions seem to leave something to be desired, but can you really say Errorplan is a whole lot better these days? On the whole (and with admitted exceptions) DL Skyclubs are for the most part better than either UA or AC lounges.

If Westjet's program evolves to something comparable to DL Skymiles, I'd be happy with it. I choose flights for factors like schedule, price, comfort, OTP and convenience. Given that none of them are anything to get terribly excited about, the carrier's FFP is about the last thing I give consideration to.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
Does that mean they'll match my UA Gold since AC hasn't had a frequent flyer program since 2002 and UA is an AC partner?

Does that mean that if I have that card I don't have to fly those 6 segments on WS (would be hard to justify since WS doesn't fly out of MAN/LBA (* Does)!

Safe Travels,

James
FYI- AC does have a FFP - it's called Altitude. Prestige level meets this status match requirement.

T&C's says you must complete phase 1 (the match from other FFP) and phase 2 (the 6 flights) for phase 3 to kick in (the extension to August 2019).
  • Members that have completed Phase 1 and Phase 2 and are current WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard primary cardholders will be granted Gold status until August 31, 2019 but will not be eligible for the 120 bonus WestJet dollars.
  • Phase 1 and 2 of the Offer must be completed successfully to receive the benefits of Phase 3.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:24 am

Status match offer has been updated again.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/reward...s/RBC-get-gold
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Status match offer has been updated again.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/reward...s/RBC-get-gold
...thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

OK so there is an additional offer of Gold until Mar 31,2019 if you have $1000 in spend before years end.
My question is that $1000 in new spend?
Say I previously booked 2 tickets (one Oct., one Nov.) but booked them before this new promo.
They fall in the promotion period...my question is do they count towards the additional promo?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
OK so there is an additional offer of Gold until Mar 31,2019 if you have $1000 in spend before years end.
My question is that $1000 in new spend?
Say I previously booked 2 tickets (one Oct., one Nov.) but booked them before this new promo.
They fall in the promotion period...my question is do they count towards the additional promo?
From the T&C:

Both new and existing bookings with qualifying spend on flights flown during the Offer Period will be eligible.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:20 am

You are....

From the T&C:

Both new and existing bookings with qualifying spend on flights flown during the Offer Period will be eligible.
......a bastion of useful information.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.