Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Good to see they (VS) waived the taxes and fees though I'll be fine if I have to absorb $50/person if we end up canceling our trip (highly likely at this point).

Just a shame though -- love ANA and was looking forward to this trip (booked these tickets via VS 9-10 months ago)
When I booked, they told me the only fee would be $50 per ticket if I cancel. All points and fees/taxes would be refunded. Do you believe something different than that?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by aquanine
Read the thread and above posts.

It appears some VS agents did not know the policy that ANA is RT only and could be tricked into booking one-ways. ANA complained to VS, and now all VS agents will require you to book a round trip as required by long-standing policy.
I have a one way ANA reward through VS, but I won't go into detail until I complete the flight.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by VoiD
I have a one way ANA reward through VS, but I won't go into detail until I complete the flight.
I'm planning on changing a flight from US City A to Tokyo return to US City A to Tokyo to US City B. In Business/First this appears to not be an issue for them so far. Anyone else had an issue doing that?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyer_11
I'm planning on changing a flight from US City A to Tokyo return to US City A to Tokyo to US City B. In Business/First this appears to not be an issue for them so far. Anyone else had an issue doing that?
Not an issue. The only tiny chance of a problem is if City A is East Coast and City B is West Coast or HNL...
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:14 am

Questions regarding stopovers and open jaws:

Open Jaw: Can I book IAD-HND-CTS-(open jaw)-HND-IAD on one award?

Stopover: Can I book IAD-HND-CTS-(stopover)-HND-IAD on one award?

Also, I spoke to two agents this morning who said they don't offer ANA flights to CTS which just seems weird. Am I getting uninformed agents or can you really only fly to Tokyo?

This is all new for me so trying to figure this all out.

Thanks.

Last edited by danpeake; Feb 28, 2020 at 6:22 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danpeake
Questions regarding stopovers and open jaws:

Open Jaw: Can I book IAD-HND-CTS-(open jaw)-HND-IAD on one award?

Stopover: Can I book IAD-HND-CTS-(stopover)-HND-IAD on one award?

Also, I spoke to two agents this morning who said they don't offer ANA flights to CTS which just seems weird. Am I getting uninformed agents or can you really only fly to Tokyo?

This is all new for me so trying to figure this all out.

Thanks.
You have to pay extra miles for the TYO-CTS and you probably have to fly it return. So no open jaw as you want to do it...

Unless you really want a short connection in HND, you should just book return to HND and then book the one-way flight up to CTS separately, but with lots of extra time built in for delays, customs, etc.

P.S. you are using "stopover" incorrectly... You don't stopover before returning home.
danpeake likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You have to pay extra miles for the TYO-CTS and you probably have to fly it return. So no open jaw as you want to do it...

Unless you really want a short connection in HND, you should just book return to HND and then book the one-way flight up to CTS separately, but with lots of extra time built in for delays, customs, etc.

P.S. you are using "stopover" incorrectly... You don't stopover before returning home.
Ah, ok. Thanks.

So, for going to visit Japan, VS miles on ANA are only good for going to/from Tokyo?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danpeake
Ah, ok. Thanks.

So, for going to visit Japan, VS miles on ANA are only good for going to/from Tokyo?
You can continue onwards to anywhere that ANA flies, but you pay more miles and you have book it as a return to/from Tokyo. AFAIK ANA doesn't have any long haul flights to/from Osaka or any other Japanese airport besides HND and NRT.
danpeake likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You can continue onwards to anywhere that ANA flies, but you pay more miles and you have book it as a return to/from Tokyo. AFAIK ANA doesn't have any long haul flights to/from Osaka or any other Japanese airport besides HND and NRT.
I see. I figured the award was more traditional (ie, US city to Japanese city). It appears it's really segment based.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Looking for some help.
Been a lifetime United flier. I have AMEX and have 600k+ MR points. Looking to book SFO to NRT in First for 110k miles through Virgin.
What's the best way to look up award tickets? Should I just find the award ticker through United website. If it's available then call Virgin to see if they have the tickets for award redemption? Then if confirmed, hold with Virgin and transfer points? Is that the most accurate way?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Looking for some help.
Been a lifetime United flier. I have AMEX and have 600k+ MR points. Looking to book SFO to NRT in First for 110k miles through Virgin.
What's the best way to look up award tickets? Should I just find the award ticker through United website. If it's available then call Virgin to see if they have the tickets for award redemption? Then if confirmed, hold with Virgin and transfer points? Is that the most accurate way?
You can't hold with Virgin while waiting for the transfer, you'd need to transfer first. Or cross your fingers that availability remains until the transfer is complete. (latter option not recommended)
Skip that, my mind was on transferring to their own program apologies
​​​​​
Search is indeed best via United.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 1, 2020 at 10:13 am
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can't hold with Virgin while waiting for the transfer, you'd need to transfer first. Or cross your fingers that availability remains until the transfer is complete. (latter option not recommended)

Search is indeed best via United.

Virgin Atlantic award holds on ANA

Virgin Atlantic Flying Club can hold ANA awards for up to 48 hours. More accurately, they request the space, and once they do that, it’s 48 hours before the flights drop out of the record. So you do have up to 48 hours, which should be plenty of time to transfer points (Amex points transfer to Virgin Atlantic instantly).
https://onemileatatime.com/redeeming...tic-miles-ana/
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by twkidM3

Virgin Atlantic award holds on ANA

Virgin Atlantic Flying Club can hold ANA awards for up to 48 hours. More accurately, they request the space, and once they do that, it’s 48 hours before the flights drop out of the record. So you do have up to 48 hours, which should be plenty of time to transfer points (Amex points transfer to Virgin Atlantic instantly).
https://onemileatatime.com/redeeming...tic-miles-ana/
My bad indeed, my mind was somewhere else. Too much Bollinger Rosé at Qatar Airways in Singapore?
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
I have to say, using text messaging to make the booking is convenient. Considering that they're more or less unable to help you find free seats, because they can't see availability and only try to book specific flights, might as well give them the exact data via text (e.g. Sat, Jul 11, 2020 NH217 HND - MUC 12:30 pm). Eliminates also any confusion about airport codes or which flight you want to take if there is more than one. To process payment they send a link to a form.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Bandit
I called 1-800-862-8621, went through some prompts and said I wanted to cancel my trip to Japan because of coronavirus and provided my reference number. The points were refunded and immediately showed up in my VS account. They are going to process a refund for the taxes and fees and I should get an email in a week or two. Worst case is that I'm out $50/person as VS has a generous award cancellation policy.
Originally Posted by Duke787
Good to see they (VS) waived the taxes and fees though I'll be fine if I have to absorb $50/person if we end up canceling our trip (highly likely at this point).

Just a shame though -- love ANA and was looking forward to this trip (booked these tickets via VS 9-10 months ago)
I just called and they said they would not waive the fee for me at this time even though ANA has a published waiver that covers the date I'm traveling. Will give it a couple more days and call back and see if it's a YMMV situation or they just won't waive that $50 fee full stop. I figure there's also a chance of ANA service reductions that would hit one of my flights which would make cancelling without the fee more straightforward

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.