Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sbryans605
Thank you, if they give less than two weeks notice, does that change things at all?

Or do they still only have to look at award availability? I'm trying to avoid the hassle of trying to find award seats again for travel in April 2021 (when they are released 331 days prior)
You will not avoid that hassle.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbryans605
Thank you, if they give less than two weeks notice, does that change things at all?

Or do they still only have to look at award availability? I'm trying to avoid the hassle of trying to find award seats again for travel in April 2021 (when they are released 331 days prior)
Under normal circumstances, you would be entitled to compensation for cancellations within 14 days. This has been suspended for coronavirus-related cancellations.

You will only be allowed to re-book into award space, so you're probably better off just getting your full taxes refunded and miles back - there should be no cancellation fee - then rebook at your leisure for whenever you think you might be able to travel. If you try to change dates, VS may want to charge you the fee.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Dean19
Looking to book an F award seat thru VA next year JFK - NRT and the return BKK - JFK.

Does anyone think it would be possible to book this route thru Virgin Atlantic?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by craigthemif
No.

AFAIK you also need to book the TYO/BKK element as a return, not a one-way as part of an open jaw.
Thanks for the reply. When I entered this route on the ANA website for next Feb/March, there were seats available for 150k miles and around $300 in taxes/fees I believe.

I was wondering if I could snatch this same route thru VA for 120k.

Hopefully this pandemic is under control by this time next year.

Hope everyone is well.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We would like to travel to Japan in late October/early November for around 10 days - I realize I might be too late. I have 155k tied up with 2 F seats AMS/LHR/MSP/OMA for April 21 - obviously not going to happen. If I can get the 155 back + 60 now in my account maybe a chance. I would be willing to travel to JFK/ORD/LAX on my dime to make it work. I tried calling, couldn’t get through, then texted Virgin they said please wait until 72 hours before departure which normally, of course I would.
I have great routing on AA on a 5 day hold but it will run me 240k
Any suggestions

Got through last night, miles put back in my account
No luck on ANA, ticketed AA
Will try for an April trip to Amsterdam

Last edited by kmandrew; Mar 23, 2020 at 3:46 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
I just called and they said they would not waive the fee for me at this time even though ANA has a published waiver that covers the date I'm traveling. Will give it a couple more days and call back and see if it's a YMMV situation or they just won't waive that $50 fee full stop. I figure there's also a chance of ANA service reductions that would hit one of my flights which would make cancelling without the fee more straightforward
Haven't received my refund yet from VS. Have other who canceled gotten their taxes/fees back?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Haven't received my refund yet from VS. Have other who canceled gotten their taxes/fees back?
Here's what's happened for me so far.

11 March 2020 - Called and cancelled two tickets and agent said I'd be charged the $50 fee
20 March 2020 - Received email from refunds department stating that they'd received my request

And as of today nothing else - I can't even imagine how backed up both ANA and Virgin are right now so I figure we'll be waiting a while.

5 April 2020 - Still waiting and no updates
26 April 2020 - Forever waiting... I followed up via email on the 15th and never heard back.
7 May 2020 - I remain in limbo
13 May 2020 - I texted the US number on Monday 5/11, heard back today on Wednesday 5/13. Asked where's my refund - told essentially that they're very busy and there is no estimate.

Last edited by mag_nate; May 13, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Watch this space
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...for-state-aid/
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
hmmmm yes I was wondering about this.

Sitting on a modest number of Virgin miles right now, enough for a first class redemption, and wondering if it’s worth booking a redemption right now, instead of waiting to see what happens. Buuutttt.....

if the booking was made and confirmed/ticketed before the bailout talks happened, say it was booked for March 2021 and the virus had cleared up worldwide...

Could a confirmed award ticket be cancelled if:

1) virgin and ANA change their relationship (albeit increased mileage requirements or a cancellation of the agreement)
2) due to some requirements from the uk government for receipt of a bailout?
3) Virgin go bankrupt and are dissolved

Or... if it was all booked in and ticketed would it be honoured/safe still in March 2021?!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Once you have a valid e-ticket you should be fine. E-tickets are only typically issued when payment has been made. You have definitely paid the booking agent - in this case VS Flying Club - and the contract between VS and ANA will determine what sort of payment terms are agreed between two large airlines (netting off against what ANA pays VS for rewards on VS metal for its own miles collectors).

I also doubt that the US DoT or EU authorities would look kindly upon ANA cancelling valid tickets because of VS not paying up.

P.S. This is unfortunate, because the last thing VS need right now is a bunch of people clogging up the telephone lines with ANA bookings / changes.
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
There is absolutely no guarantee that ANA will honour a ticket if Virgin goes under. When Air Berlin went bankrupt other oneworld members decided to honour the tickets, meanwhile partners did not. I highly doubt that any authorities get involved into this (how many people would be affected by this?) and not getting paid sounds a like pretty good reason to cancel a ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
ANA has cancelled my 11:10am flight HND-FRA and the entire reservation disappeared from both the ANA and Virgin website. No notification, nothing.

I can use the ticket at a later point, that's not really a problem but still the entire process sucks.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
ANA has cancelled my 11:10am flight HND-FRA and the entire reservation disappeared from both the ANA and Virgin website. No notification, nothing.

I can use the ticket at a later point, that's not really a problem but still the entire process sucks.
What was the date of the flight? And was this an outbound or inbound? Did you get an automatic refund of the miles?

We are currently booked on the JFK-HND mid-May and that has currently been suspended until April 24th. By now I fully expect this to be extended so our flight will be cancelled given the situation in NY and the increasing concerns in Tokyo. I'm trying to figure out what our best move is. Do I wait for the cancellation, do I cancel proactively, or do I try to move it? Refund estimates are upwards of 90 days so if this turns bad/worse for VS then it is likely already too late to even salvage the fees. The tickets have been reissued once before so the valid ticket numbers no longer match the ticket numbers on the credit card charges for the fees. As a result I'm not sure if the CC would cover that loss. And then, of course, there's the miles. I really want this to end well for VS but I don't trust Boris and his minions.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
What was the date of the flight? And was this an outbound or inbound? Did you get an automatic refund of the miles?

We are currently booked on the JFK-HND mid-May and that has currently been suspended until April 24th. By now I fully expect this to be extended so our flight will be cancelled given the situation in NY and the increasing concerns in Tokyo. I'm trying to figure out what our best move is. Do I wait for the cancellation, do I cancel proactively, or do I try to move it? Refund estimates are upwards of 90 days so if this turns bad/worse for VS then it is likely already too late to even salvage the fees. The tickets have been reissued once before so the valid ticket numbers no longer match the ticket numbers on the credit card charges for the fees. As a result I'm not sure if the CC would cover that loss. And then, of course, there's the miles. I really want this to end well for VS but I don't trust Boris and his minions.
APR 10th. I'm undecided if I really want a refund or just use the segment at a later time. Having 55k laying in the account isn't really what I desire right now because you can't just book a new one way, they force you to book rt.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mag_nate
Here's what's happened for me so far.

11 March 2020 - Called and cancelled two tickets and agent said I'd be charged the $50 fee
20 March 2020 - Received email from refunds department stating that they'd received my request

And as of today nothing else - I can't even imagine how backed up both ANA and Virgin are right now so I figure we'll be waiting a while.
Still haven't even gotten the email. Pretty soon here I'm just going to contest the charge to try and get this moving. Clearly trying to hold onto my money right now since they had no problem giving me back my miles on the spot
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:55 am

Still haven't even gotten the email. Pretty soon here I'm just going to contest the charge to try and get this moving. Clearly trying to hold onto my money right now since they had no problem giving me back my miles on the spot
VS were very slow with two refunds I got from them in the past year, and that was before all this madness started. The first one took over a month but it was minimal so I didn't push it. The second one came through after about four weeks and a lot of pushing.
From what I've read on another board they're giving people estimates of 90 to 100 days now.
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.