Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Would VS book cabotage-violating NH award?

US citizens booked SFO->NRT, HND->SJC award flights on one PNR, both NH operated. Staying in Tokyo and Kyoto 8 days between flights.

Does this create cabotage issue, even though SFO and SJC are fifty km apart? Would booking a (no cancellation-fee) throwaway SJC-LAX segment, same days as return, on another airline mitigate?

ANA did ticket... presumably if cabotage violation, they’d bounce it, right?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by esquiar
US citizens booked SFO->NRT, HND->SJC award flights on one PNR, both NH operated. Staying in Tokyo and Kyoto 8 days between flights.

Does this create cabotage issue, even though SFO and SJC are fifty km apart? Would booking a (no cancellation-fee) throwaway SJC-LAX segment, same days as return, on another airline mitigate?

I see no risk that this will count as cabotage. The stay abroad is long enough.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by esquiar

Cabotage? Why would you ever think that a simple open jaw return is cabotage?

Cabotage is SFO-TYO-GUM/HNL/etc. on the same day.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by osxunf
an issue with this plan is that you can only hold for 24 hours and each time it gets removed and into the system you risk someone booking.
Right - I guess my hope is that because no availability is showing, the risk of someone waitlisting is lower than someone just snagging the tickets.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by pateljay89
Right - I guess my hope is that because no availability is showing, the risk of someone waitlisting is lower than someone just snagging the tickets.

maybe! I can tell you I’m actively looking for a dec 25-28first class. So if it’s open I’m gonna waitlist it immediately and book a economy dummy ticket so I would just snag what you got to risk someone like me whose actively obsessively checking
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:42 am

Trying to find two seats in bus/first from any EU country to TYO in Sep/Oct, united is showing no availability other than economy from anywhere, is it usually that impossible to find availability or is there a better way to search than united? Do they make more seats available or is that likely to be it?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by slidey
Trying to find two seats in bus/first from any EU country to TYO in Sep/Oct, united is showing no availability other than economy from anywhere, is it usually that impossible to find availability or is there a better way to search than united? Do they make more seats available or is that likely to be it?
Me thinks you are too late for a J/F
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Besides probably being late, most EU destinations don't offer 2 business or 2 first seats at all. Exception are the new destinations MXP & ARN (business only).
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Too late for the initial release, and too early for additional releases. I would probably start liking frequently about 3 weeks before your desired travel period.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
Me thinks you are too late for a J/F
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Too late for the initial release, and too early for additional releases. I would probably start liking frequently about 3 weeks before your desired travel period.
You simply have to keep checking back every morning.

I just managed to grab an F seat for late June HND-FRA. Happily paid the change fee to upgrade from NRT-DUS. (it's worth checking to see whether that J seat pops back up on united.com in the next day or two)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:25 am

I was able to book US to Tokyo in first both ways for 3 people. So that is the good news. The bad, is that my 24 hour hold ended without my Chase points completing the transfer. Chase's response is nothing we can do and maybe 6-7 more days. Citi points transferred in 2 minutes. Chase in the past was the same, but just my luck. Anyone else having issues with Chase transfers this week?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI Europeans...

It appears that ANA have scheduled a 777 onto the Munich route for July/August at the very least. I haven't looked farther than that.

Absolutely loads of F space on united.com. Most days with 1 seat - sometimes with 2 or more...
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
I just booked IAH-HND-IAH in J and F for early December... got very lucky with the returning F being available at that time, I think. The J+F RT combo for 2 people priced out at 215K VS points + $534.30 taxes/fees.

I'm crossing my fingers hard to somehow get F on the way there also (VS said I can pay the difference and make this happen, should be another 25K points total). Does NH tend to open up more partner space closer to day of travel? I have an alert set on EF but I'm just wondering how likely that is to trigger in the absence of someone else canceling.

For anyone else looking to book, here's a list of J/F availability I saw to HND or NRT as of a couple days ago. Note that this isn't exhaustive... I checked July for all as well as Nov-Dec but not every month between July-November.

IAD:
  • Out: 11/24 J,
IAH:
  • Out: 11/24 F, 1/1 F, 1/6 F, 1/7 F, 1/8 F, 1/9 F
  • Return: 11/12 F, 12/17 J, 12/22 J, 12/24 F
ORD:
  • Out: 11/24 J, 11/28 F, 12/1 J, 12/28 F, 12/29 F, 12/30 J/F, 12/31 F, 1/6 F, 1/7 F, 1/8 F, 1/9 F
  • Ret: 11/25 F, 12/2 F, 12/3 F, 12/4 F, 12/9 F, 12/10 F, 12/15 F, 12/16 J/F, 12/17 F, 12/18 F, 12/19 F, 12/22 J/F, 12/23 F
LAX:
  • Out: 7/2 F, 12/28 F, 12/30 F
  • Ret: 7/3 F
SJC:
  • Out: 12/2 J, 12/27 J, 12/28 J, 12/29 J, 12/30 J, 1/5 J
  • Ret: 12/18 J, 12/19 J
SFO:
  • Out: 12/2 J, 12/28-31 (didn't check class), 1/7 (didn't check class)
  • Ret: July N/A, 12/16 J, 12/18 J, 12/19 J, 12/22 J
SEA:
  • Out: 11/3 J, 11/9 J, 11/16 J, 11/29 J, 11/30 J, 12/1 J, 12/2 J, 12/7 J, 12/27 J, 12/28 J, 12/31 J
  • Ret: July N/A,
HNL:
  • Out: Nov. N/A, Dec. N/A
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Feb 19, 2020 at 11:09 am
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
FYI Europeans...

It appears that ANA have scheduled a 777 onto the Munich route for July/August at the very least. I haven't looked farther than that.

Absolutely loads of F space on united.com. Most days with 1 seat - sometimes with 2 or more...
https://insideflyer.co.uk/2020/02/go...o-this-summer/
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:45 am

Delay in Virgin seeing ANA availability

Hello,

Has anyone had issues with getting VS to book an ANA flight that is showing as available on United?

Availability showed up on United 3 days ago and I've tried for the last 2 days to book with different agents, but they're both saying there's no availability. Anyone know how long the delay is?

Thanks,
Adrian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.