Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:25 am

Hello two questions:

(1) Can I do ATL-JFK-NRT/HND on Virgin Points making this a complete connecting itinerary?

(2) Can I do JFK-BKK-NRT-JFK on one itinerary? If so, how would this price for first class?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by osxunf
Hello two questions:

(1) Can I do ATL-JFK-NRT/HND on Virgin Points making this a complete connecting itinerary?
ANA does not fly to ATL so no... (no mixing partners, even VS)

Originally Posted by osxunf

(2) Can I do JFK-BKK-NRT-JFK on one itinerary? If so, how would this price for first class?
It would price 120k for the return between JFK and Japan and another 65k for the return from Japan to Thailand in Business or 80k if you find F.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:41 am

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it

Originally Posted by craigthemif
ANA does not fly to ATL so no... (no mixing partners, even VS)

It would price 120k for the return between JFK and Japan and another 65k for the return from Japan to Thailand in Business or 80k if you find F.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:24 am

I am 1k points away from an upgrade from business to first for a flight that I suspect won't be available for much longer, anyone got any tips besides spend another 1k?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:31 am

Do you hold an Amex Gold or Platinum MR card?

I believe in the UK you can purchase MR points (which transfer at 1:1) from American Express directly and then convert those to VA miles. The rate is 1.50p per point so the same rate as buying direct from Virgin but you'd save the £15 transaction fee.

Not sure where you are based and/or whether the above applies though.

You can buy miles from Virgin (via points.com) if needs be, but there is a fixed admin fee that makes buying such a small number of miles quite expensive.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Toonshorty
Do you hold an Amex Gold or Platinum MR card?

I believe in the UK you can purchase MR points (which transfer at 1:1) from American Express directly and then convert those to VA miles. The rate is 1.50p per point so the same rate as buying direct from Virgin but you'd save the £15 transaction fee.

Not sure where you are based and/or whether the above applies though.

You can buy miles from Virgin (via points.com) if needs be, but there is a fixed admin fee that makes buying such a small number of miles quite expensive.

I have an AMEX gold but i don't believe purchasing MR is available.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by very_metal
I have an AMEX gold but i don't believe purchasing MR is available.
https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...p-to-50-off-3/

This article seems to suggest it is possible but a number of agents will deny any knowledge of it. Maybe worth pursuing?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by very_metal
I am 1k points away from an upgrade from business to first for a flight that I suspect won't be available for much longer, anyone got any tips besides spend another 1k?
Tesco Clubcard if you're UK based and have any vouchers. Some hotel schemes allow transfers to airlines if you have any hotel points. You can also buy Virgin miles if the Amex MR option is unattractive - I don't know how the costs compare. Finally, you could call and see if the Virgin agent can hold the upgrade for you while you sort out the points. I think they can and will for VS metal flights, unsure when on partner metal.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Another painless VS redemption on ANA in F. 2 seats ex-US...120K ea plus $262.
lax01 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, SWA, UAL, DAL
Amex is doing a targeted 30% transfer bonus to Flying Club for the month of December. Hmm. Is it excessive to go to Japan twice in a year...?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by zedkyuu
Amex is doing a targeted 30% transfer bonus to Flying Club for the month of December. Hmm. Is it excessive to go to Japan twice in a year...?
Haha, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 30% transfer bonus again.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by aquanine
Booked another ANA F through VS for SFO - NRT rt over Christmas/New Years. 110k miles and $352 for taxes, perfectly in line with expectations.
What were your dates if you don't mind sharing? How was availability and were there any dates that were blocked? I'm considering a speculative transfer for the current MR bonus and redeeming when partner availability opens up.

I'm probably willing to book 2020/12/21-24 outbound and returning sometime between 1/4-10.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by lokisnake
What were your dates if you don't mind sharing? How was availability and were there any dates that were blocked? I'm considering a speculative transfer for the current MR bonus and redeeming when partner availability opens up.

I'm probably willing to book 2020/12/21-24 outbound and returning sometime between 1/4-10.
No dates blocked. However, availability was crap. I wanted to depart 12/19 - 1/5 LAX-HND RT, but had to change to 12/22 - 1/4 SFO-NRT RT because that was the only thing available on the west coast and pretty sure was the last seat. So I have positioning flights to and from SFO. I monitored for 1/5 and 1/6 and I didn't see anything inbound to SFO and LAX.

If you transfer, it's a gamble but may be worth it. I think you're likely to have trouble booking the outbound, but booking the inbound will probably be easier since you could do 1/7 or 1/8 or later.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Thanks for the DP!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:57 am

I'd like to book an open jaw going something like this: East Coast US -> TYO -> LHR/FRA

I'm able to find availability in F from the US to Tokyo, but haven't been able to find anything to Europe. If I book a return to the US now, would I be able to change that to an open jaw to Europe should it become available at a later date? (Assuming any changes in taxes and fees would apply)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.