Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by weirdblastoise
I currently have the search set just for O, but I will have it search for general award availability as you said.

And I'll keep an eye on Aeroplan as well, thanks for the heads up!
Good luck and don't run off with my return flights!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
In my experience this past week AP updated a couple of hours before UA. If you can see availability on EF I would just call VS and see what they say. What is your alert for: O-class or general award searches? I had better luck with the award search as O simply didn't show up.
What would be the best way to do this?

I'm setting up a Flight Alert in EF now. Is there a class code to use to cover general award seats as an alert, as opposed to how I have a few alerts set exclusively for O seats at the moment? Or would I just need to perform manual searches in the Award & Upgrade Availability Search?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by weirdblastoise
What would be the best way to do this?

I'm setting up a Flight Alert in EF now. Is there a class code to use to cover general award seats as an alert, as opposed to how I have a few alerts set exclusively for O seats at the moment? Or would I just need to perform manual searches in the Award & Upgrade Availability Search?
I used the latter.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Does anyone know the close in release logic? It seems quite a few seats get released between two and three weeks from departure - is this cancellations or the airline releasing award availability? Also, does the UA site not updating over the weekend hold true for close-in releasing of seats?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by pmfc
Does anyone know the close in release logic? It seems quite a few seats get released between two and three weeks from departure - is this cancellations or the airline releasing award availability? Also, does the UA site not updating over the weekend hold true for close-in releasing of seats?
I've only been keeping track of 330 days out, so sorry but I don't know.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Just Booked a IAH-NRT-ORD for outbound in july return in dec, super easy, 120k miles.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:39 pm

Does anyone know exactly at what time eatly 330 day seats get released? Is it local time midnight in Tokyo? I've been checking for ANA flights 330+1 day out for two days and nothing is available.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mataushas
Does anyone know exactly at what time eatly 330 day seats get released? Is it local time midnight in Tokyo? I've been checking for ANA flights 330+1 day out for two days and nothing is available.
Mataushas,

I've seen different answers to your question: e.g,, from specific times to explanations that it can take a few days for United to update it's system. Recently I did some test searches, comparing ExpertFlyer availability with United. Based on those searches, all I can say is, "It seems to vary."

The best advice I've read is to call Virgin Atlantic (VS) at 330 days out and ask them to check for availability. Fundamentally, that's all that matters. Finding availability on ExpertFlyer or a partner (e.g., United or Aeroplan) obviously gives you more data, but if you're having difficulty just go straight to VS.

Where are you checking award availability? I just did a random search on United for ORD-TYO on May 23, 2020, which is 330 days out. (Technically 331 already in Tokyo.) There was NH award availability:

For example,
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by pmfc
Based on my upgrade waitlist experience, most commonly O space opens 12-14 days before departure - if it does (keep in mind that NH often will not release any award space close-in, and also that waitlisters obviously will clear first). The UA website should reflect availability immediately.

Originally Posted by Petdog
Recently I did some test searches, comparing ExpertFlyer availability with United.
Keep in mind that EF shows NH availability, not partner availability.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Petdog
Mataushas,

I've seen different answers to your question: e.g,, from specific times to explanations that it can take a few days for United to update it's system. Recently I did some test searches, comparing ExpertFlyer availability with United. Based on those searches, all I can say is, "It seems to vary."

The best advice I've read is to call Virgin Atlantic (VS) at 330 days out and ask them to check for availability. Fundamentally, that's all that matters. Finding availability on ExpertFlyer or a partner (e.g., United or Aeroplan) obviously gives you more data, but if you're having difficulty just go straight to VS.

Where are you checking award availability? I just did a random search on United for ORD-TYO on May 23, 2020, which is 330 days out. (Technically 331 already in Tokyo.) There was NH award availability:

For example,
Hi Petdog,
Thanks for a thorough explanation. I'm actually trying to book something coming back to JFK. I'm from the East Coast. What I am trying to do is make a ORD-TYO-JFK trip, with a domestic flight to JFK-ORD. This domestic leg is only ~$90 + few hours of my time. It seems impossible to get something RT from JFK and back that's why I'm positioning in ORD. I want to book something coming back as soon as it becomes available but there's nothing on the 23rd or 24th of May 2020. Now, ORD does show some premium award cabins on 23rd, so it means JFK is just sold out. I am curious when United Opens up 24th of May awards based on today's date. If I knew exact hour it opens up, I can get on the phone with VS that exact time. I may just give VS a call and ask if they see availability.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:22 pm

Is there a restriction on what routes Virgin can book? I just called for BRU-NRT and was told they couldn't book this route. The agent claimed only 4 routes were available: LHR, CDG, FRA, CPH. I'm inclined to think it's an error since ANA does not even fly from CPH?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:33 am
kkl

Originally Posted by samunique
Is there a restriction on what routes Virgin can book? I just called for BRU-NRT and was told they couldn't book this route. The agent claimed only 4 routes were available: LHR, CDG, FRA, CPH. I'm inclined to think it's an error since ANA does not even fly from CPH?
Weird cos agent also said they can't book flight to Australia due to some laws? Not sure how accurate
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by gengar

Keep in mind that EF shows NH availability, not partner availability.
Thanks Gengar. I should have made that clear in case anyone doesn't understand that. I search EF first because it's easier and more flexible, and because if there's no NH availability on EF then there's no reason to even bother trying to search for NH on a partner.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by samunique
Are you sure there is availability from BRU on your dates? It's been extremely scarce the past few weeks for travel in May 2020.
They can book it but the agent might have meant that nothing was available. Or HUCA.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Are you sure there is availability from BRU on your dates? It's been extremely scarce the past few weeks for travel in May 2020.
They can book it but the agent might have meant that nothing was available. Or HUCA.
I’m booking for July 2019. The agent asked for the route, told me to wait whilst she checked for a list of “permitted routes” and came back that she couldn’t book it. Without asking for my desired dates. Guess I’ll just try again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.