Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samunique
Is there a restriction on what routes Virgin can book? I just called for BRU-NRT and was told they couldn't book this route. The agent claimed only 4 routes were available: LHR, CDG, FRA, CPH. I'm inclined to think it's an error since ANA does not even fly from CPH?
LHR, CDG and FRA are the only European routes with an F cabin. BRU, MUC, DUS, etc. only offer J.

Could be a misunderstanding on either your side or the agent's side about the desired cabin...
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
LHR, CDG and FRA are the only European routes with an F cabin. BRU, MUC, DUS, etc. only offer J.

Could be a misunderstanding on either your side or the agent's side about the desired cabin...
To my knowlegde FRA and LHR are the only European routes with F. CDG is operated with a 789 which doesn't have an F cabin.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
To my knowlegde FRA and LHR are the only European routes with F. CDG is operated with a 789 which doesn't have an F cabin.
Possible... I haven't checked lately.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Delta Platinum
Just booked two reservations on ANA using Virgin Atlantic miles (from chase - instant transfer while on the phone). first reservation, two J tickets round trip ORD - NRT , return HND - ORD and one reservation of (1) F class. Same flights. I had to book two different reservations since they couldn't do a mixed flight of J and F . Could be all J or all F coming and going, but not inter mixed each way. This took a ton of time trying to find flights for Mid May to Tokyo. I had them hold the return flights for a couple days while I kept looking and calling back trying to get the outbound booked. Don't ever try getting three or more business class or first class flight on ANA... you will lose your mind.. lol I used united to find the flights and about half the time Virgin would be able to pull the same inventory.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:08 am

Yesterday I finished booking ORD-NRT-JFK in F for next May. I'm looking forward to it!

I originally completed ticketing using a "dummy" return (i.e., an earlier-than-desired return used to lock in the outbound until the desired return became available). At 330 days out from the return I wanted, I called VS and switched the return for $50.

Two potentially useful observations:
1) If in doubt, just call VS and ask them to search for availability.
As noted in this thread and based on my own testing, award availability on united.com regularly doesn't get updated over the weekend (maybe never?). That was the case yesterday--no NH award availability was showing on united.com 330 days out, even though there was availability on expertflyer.com. (I didn't search Aeroplan.) JFK flights seem to go more quickly than others so, rather than waiting, I called VS and asked if there was availability. There was, and I switched my return to the desired date.
2) Instead of completing ticketing before return availability opens up at 330 days out, then having to pay $50 to switch, one could put a ticket on hold and repeatedly renew the hold until the desired return opens up. However . . .
I did this for a few days before giving up and ticketing. Here's why:
A) Holds only last until 23:00 London time the next day. That meant I had to call every day to renew the hold, which for me wasn't worth the bother to save $50. Others may feel differently.

B) There was a chance that I'd lose my outbound flight. After a couple of days of rolling over my hold, the agent had to create a new reservation. Fortunately, the agent checked on availability before cancelling the original reservation, but anytime you release an award hold you run the chance of availability disappearing. I didn't want to chance it.
Here's hoping a JFK-TYO seat opens up for my outbound. If not, a short flight to ORD and a visit to the Polaris lounge aren't so bad.

Thanks to pop311 and CedarSwampThing for their generous advice over PMs.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Petdog
Yesterday I finished booking ORD-NRT-JFK in F for next May. I'm looking forward to it!

I originally completed ticketing using a "dummy" return (i.e., an earlier-than-desired return used to lock in the outbound until the desired return became available). At 330 days out from the return I wanted, I called VS and switched the return for $50.

As noted in this thread and based on my own testing, award availability on united.com regularly doesn't get updated over the weekend (maybe never?). That was the case yesterday--no NH award availability was showing on united.com 330 days out, even though there was availability on expertflyer.com. (I didn't search Aeroplan.) JFK flights seem to go more quickly than others so, rather than waiting, I called VS and asked if there was availability. There was, and I switched my return to the desired date.
2) Instead of completing ticketing before return availability opens up at 330 days out, then having to pay $50 to switch, one could put a ticket on hold and repeatedly renew the hold until the desired return opens up. However . . .
I did this for a few days before giving up and ticketing. Here's why:
A) Holds only last until 23:00 London time the next day. That meant I had to call every day to renew the hold, which for me wasn't worth the bother to save $50. Others may feel differently.

B) There was a chance that I'd lose my outbound flight. After a couple of days of rolling over my hold, the agent had to create a new reservation. Fortunately, the agent checked on availability before cancelling the original reservation, but anytime you release an award hold you run the chance of availability disappearing. I didn't want to chance it.
Here's hoping a JFK-TYO seat opens up for my outbound. If not, a short flight to ORD and a visit to the Polaris lounge aren't so bad.

Thanks to pop311 and CedarSwampThing for their generous advice over PMs.
Congrats, glad to hear the success story. Out of curiosity, since I'm based out of NY as well, what day of the week for your return leg did you find availability? I immensely struggled to find anything returning to JFK on Friday to Sunday. Ultimately, I settled for two round trip tickets in F to/from IAH, but nothing to really complain about.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kchao1213
Congrats, glad to hear the success story. Out of curiosity, since I'm based out of NY as well, what day of the week for your return leg did you find availability? I immensely struggled to find anything returning to JFK on Friday to Sunday. Ultimately, I settled for two round trip tickets in F to/from IAH, but nothing to really complain about.
Thanks.

Originally had a Saturday. Now have a Sunday.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mataushas
Hi Petdog,
Thanks for a thorough explanation. I'm actually trying to book something coming back to JFK. I'm from the East Coast. What I am trying to do is make a ORD-TYO-JFK trip, with a domestic flight to JFK-ORD. This domestic leg is only ~$90 + few hours of my time. It seems impossible to get something RT from JFK and back that's why I'm positioning in ORD. I want to book something coming back as soon as it becomes available but there's nothing on the 23rd or 24th of May 2020. Now, ORD does show some premium award cabins on 23rd, so it means JFK is just sold out. I am curious when United Opens up 24th of May awards based on today's date. If I knew exact hour it opens up, I can get on the phone with VS that exact time. I may just give VS a call and ask if they see availability.
There's availability on TYO-JFK on May 22-24.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:21 am

ANA has announced new cabins on the 77W today. The first aircraft will go to LHR on even-numbered days in August and odd-numbered days in September. A second aircraft will be added at the end of August or early September but they haven't announced when just yet.

press release: https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/pr/201907/20190711.html
F details: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/be/servicei...300er_new.html
J details: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/be/serviceinfo/international/inflight/guide/c/seat/c-777_300er_new.html
and the FT thread: New 777-300ER (77W) F/C/PY/Y Seating (consolidated)

Let's hope this rolls out quickly! I'm glad to see they've unblocked the windows in F and the partition in the middle block is much better now if you're traveling with two people. The screen is insanely big and it looks like the ottoman might serve as a temporary second seat if you wish to talk to someone but I'm not sure.

Last edited by CosmicGirl; Jul 11, 2019 at 11:23 am Reason: Fixed url
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Wondering when they'll roll out the rest of the new cabins, and on which routes.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: ANA Pt

Did the same for a SFO NRT flight next year with return date Sun June 7 from NRT. UA and Aeroplan didn't show NH availability: from my past experience, looking for flights 330 days out from a weekend, info is delayed on those platforms til Tues or Wed. Called VAFC at the 330 day mark and they could see availability, so ticketed successfully.
Petdog likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:29 pm

Anyone been able to add a domestic connection between Tokyo HND and Osaka ITM with reward points? Have spoken to a few different agents and they cannot find any availability at all.

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbryans605
Anyone been able to add a domestic connection between Tokyo HND and Osaka ITM with reward points? Have spoken to a few different agents and they cannot find any availability at all.

Thanks
Search this thread for "domestic" and you'll see that folks have been able to add domestic legs.

Just speculating, but the problem may be with Virgin's search functionality. For example, ANA's own site doesn't allow for domestic-only award searches (e.g., HND-ITM), but does allow for international + domestic (e.g., JFK-HND-ITM).

United's website does allow for domestic-only award searches on ANA. The advice previously provided on this thread was to find saver availability on United and then feed the flight details to the Virgin agent.

FWIW, United only charges 5,000 miles and I believe will book one-way. Virgin charges 15,000 miles and, I believe, requires round-trip. All economy.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:43 pm

Thanks, I was only looking to book a single leg, that explains it. I'm from the UK, so it's difficult to get United points, unfortunately. I'll see what BA AVIOS options come up (think they only open up 2 months in advance)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: ANA Pt
ANA's own site doesn't allow for domestic-only award searches (e.g., HND-ITM), but does allow for international + domestic (e.g., JFK-HND-ITM).
You can search and book domestic one way and return on the ANA website, just change country to Japan. One way award cost from 5,000 miles depending on season and destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.