Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:17 am

Does anyone know if there is a deadline to make an award booking using VA points on ANA? So could I book just 24-48 hours before for the outbound? I know booking direct with ANA points you need to do 72 hours before.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:57 pm

Which policy governs child fare age 2 rule

Hi y'all

Apologies if already covered. It's apparent to me that VA's policy of low award miles charge and nominal fee for child award fare rules the day over ANA's 10% of ticket cost rule.

Does this logic also apply to VA's stated child fare policy that if a child turns two before a return flight on an itinerary, the seat is complementary? Or will they just charge him as an infant award fare like the outbound which I'm fine with.

I want to avoid a situation where ANA's RT only policy causes a problem if I can only find a return flight after he turns 2. If that's the case, I need to consider other alternatives on other airlines or a dumby return booking on ANA and book a one way return on another airline, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by Teddy Ruxpin; Jun 5, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin
Hi y'all

Apologies if already covered. It's apparent to me that VA's policy of low award miles charge and nominal fee for child award fare rules the day over ANA's 10% of ticket cost rule.

Does this logic also apply to VA's stated child fare policy that if a child turns two before a return flight on an itinerary, the seat is complementary? Or will they just charge him as an infant award fare like the outbound which I'm fine with.

I want to avoid a situation where ANA's RT only policy causes a problem if I can only find a return flight after he turns 2. If that's the case, I need to consider other alternatives on other airlines or a dumby return booking on ANA and book a one way return on another airline, etc.

Thanks!
https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en...n-airways.html

SInce infant rewards can be booked as a one-way, it's safe to assume that you won't get a free seat for a 2 year old. (i.e. VS isn't forcing you into a return infant ticket, which suggests that they are aware of situations such as yours) You would then run into the return-only policy if trying to use miles for it.
Teddy Ruxpin likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:38 pm

can you book flight into osaka and out of tokyo?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:05 pm

Has anybody booked ANA award ticket with Japan domestic ANA flights? For example, LAX-NRT-CTS/CTS-NRT-LAX.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lincoln boy
Has anybody booked ANA award ticket with Japan domestic ANA flights? For example, LAX-NRT-CTS/CTS-NRT-LAX.
You pay extra for the domestic legs, but it can be done.
IndyHoosier and lincoln boy like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:05 pm

Have read through most of this thread and have read multiple travel bloggers posts regarding award booking but have yet to see this answered so apologies in advance if this is common knowledge.....

When setting an alert in expert flyer for a NH award ticket from USA to TYO should I be searching for O class only and not F or A class ?

I ask this as flights i've searched for this fall through expert flyer have not only zero availability in O class but its not even an option available. I expected an O class showing up with zero availability but this is not the case the O class does not show up at all....it doesn't exist. I see F and A class show up but when cross referencing with Unite's website there is no first class availability either award or cash booking. So just wanted to make sure this was the correct class of ticket I should be creating an alert for

Thanks to anyone willing to help !
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by space pilot
Have read through most of this thread and have read multiple travel bloggers posts regarding award booking but have yet to see this answered so apologies in advance if this is common knowledge.....

When setting an alert in expert flyer for a NH award ticket from USA to TYO should I be searching for O class only and not F or A class ?

I ask this as flights i've searched for this fall through expert flyer have not only zero availability in O class but its not even an option available. I expected an O class showing up with zero availability but this is not the case the O class does not show up at all....it doesn't exist. I see F and A class show up but when cross referencing with Unite's website there is no first class availability either award or cash booking. So just wanted to make sure this was the correct class of ticket I should be creating an alert for

Thanks to anyone willing to help !
Yes O only... Not sure when your dates are exactly but it looks like there's nothing in October and only found one seat from the east coast in November (ORD-NRT on 11/15, O1)

If you're willing to position to LAX there's 1 seat on 9/19 to NRT, 1 on 10/13 to HND (don't book that one, much reduced service on the redeye), while the 10/30 IAH-NRT has 1 seat available as well
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by truncated
Yes O only... Not sure when your dates are exactly but it looks like there's nothing in October and only found one seat from the east coast in November (ORD-NRT on 11/15, O1)

If you're willing to position to LAX there's 1 seat on 9/19 to NRT, 1 on 10/13 to HND (don't book that one, much reduced service on the redeye), while the 10/30 IAH-NRT has 1 seat available as well
Thanks for all the info really appreciate it.

Am trying for this fall. In looking back through this thread for an answer to my original question I quickly learned most people book their F flights 330 days out so my hopes for a flight this fall are now very low. Trying to ex-ORD so I can check out the Polaris lounge. An 11/15 departure is too close to the Thanksgiving holiday to consider. Trying to avoid west coast flights as I want to maximize my time in the air but the 9/19 LAX flight would work well for my schedule. IAH is an interesting choice. Any issues with catering from there? Have read a few reports of hit or miss catering ex-IAD so passing on that as an option.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying to avoid west coast flights as I want to maximize my time in the air
Suggest you do a bit of research. LAX is a 12-hour flight and ORD is 13. I certainly wouldn't fly J or an inconvenient date from ORD because I thought LAX was too short of a flight for F...

It's far more appropriate to decide based on aircraft type, departure / arrival timing, lounges, HND / most convenient departure airport, etc.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Thanks for all the info really appreciate it.

Am trying for this fall. In looking back through this thread for an answer to my original question I quickly learned most people book their F flights 330 days out so my hopes for a flight this fall are now very low. Trying to ex-ORD so I can check out the Polaris lounge. An 11/15 departure is too close to the Thanksgiving holiday to consider. Trying to avoid west coast flights as I want to maximize my time in the air but the 9/19 LAX flight would work well for my schedule. IAH is an interesting choice. Any issues with catering from there? Have read a few reports of hit or miss catering ex-IAD so passing on that as an option.
You do realize that ex-US catering in F is basically very similar to that in J right... (go to the NH website and pull up the menus) so that would probably be the last factor in my decision
Right now given how limited availability is I'd really just go with what dates work best for me before those seats get taken as well...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:28 am
kkl

Im looking at the new PER-NRT route in J for 2.

EF shows 2 seats, KF/United shows 1 seat.
Can’t search on VS website.

does VS use EF availability ? Or star alliance partners?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Honors
Can I add a domestic leg?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I was wondering if VS allows STL-ORD-NRT-ORD-STL for 120000 miles? Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by rog92
I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I was wondering if VS allows STL-ORD-NRT-ORD-STL for 120000 miles? Thanks!
If you mean in F, indeed already asked and answered, but that's a no. You can only get the ORD-NRT segment for 120k. Domestic leg will be charged extra or for you to source.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
If you mean in F, indeed already asked and answered, but that's a no. You can only get the ORD-NRT segment for 120k. Domestic leg will be charged extra or for you to source.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.