Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by synergypi
You can search and book domestic one way and return on the ANA website, just change country to Japan. One way award cost from 5,000 miles depending on season and destination.
Good to know! Thank you.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Question regarding dummy booking of the return leg that's not yet available to book: has anyone done the dummy leg before the outbound, then switched it later to after? Seems like it would be necessary in order to book the outbound on T-330.

Example: let's say I want to fly to Japan next year from July 8-18. I can book the July 8 outbound on August 6, 2019. On August 6, can I call and book TYO-USA for July 6 and USA-TYO for July 8, then once booking for July 18 opens up, call and change TYO-USA from July 6 to July 18? Can I do that even though it would technically change which is the "outbound" and which the "return"?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by JJ804
Question regarding dummy booking of the return leg that's not yet available to book: has anyone done the dummy leg before the outbound, then switched it later to after? Seems like it would be necessary in order to book the outbound on T-330.

Example: let's say I want to fly to Japan next year from July 8-18. I can book the July 8 outbound on August 6, 2019. On August 6, can I call and book TYO-USA for July 6 and USA-TYO for July 8, then once booking for July 18 opens up, call and change TYO-USA from July 6 to July 18? Can I do that even though it would technically change which is the "outbound" and which the "return"?
1) According to my calculations, July 8, 2020 - 330 = August 13

2) Flyertalkers have told me directly that yes, they were able to switch the order; and no, they weren't able to.

But why bother? Instead, call August 6 and put a hold on just as you described, but don't finalize. On August 7, call back and change the reservation with a dummy return for July 9 in the "right" direction. The only risk is that VS isn't able to switch the order, has to release your hold, and the award availability disappears. But you also run that risk if you fully ticket in the wrong order and then try to switch it.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:46 am

It looks like there's a fuel surcharge increase coming August 1st: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
It looks like there's a fuel surcharge increase coming August 1st: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/.
Good to know, but ultimately irrelevant to the value proposition. No need to rush into sub-optimal reward options...
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Good to know, but ultimately irrelevant to the value proposition. No need to rush into sub-optimal reward options...
It's relevant information. Everyone can make their own decisions.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
It's relevant information. Everyone can make their own decisions.
If you're going to pass on a F return ticket for 120k miles because of an extra $40 in surcharges, you're definitely not thinking clearly.

Like I said.. nice to know... but shouldn't change a thing.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:24 am

So I've managed to book:

LHR-HND 24 October
NRT-BRU 5 November

I need to get back to UK or Europe in the week commencing 28 October, but nothing shows up as available in Business. Any advices please? Is there a Premium Economy option I can select instead for the return leg?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:21 am

ANA does offer premium economy awards: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/amc/promo/py_flightawd/

Have you tried searching for availability on ANA's website? Or called VS to see if VS can book?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:57 pm

Haven't tried that yet, thanks. So would ANA allow outbound via Biz and return via Prem? Would that mean I pay less miles?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I don't think NH's PEY can be booked through any of its partners. On most (if not all) *A carriers, PEY is very much forbidden fruit for partner awards.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by manutd123
Haven't tried that yet, thanks. So would ANA allow outbound via Biz and return via Prem? Would that mean I pay less miles?
you can do outbound biz/first and return Y, but prem is not bookable via VS (or any other ANA partner that I’m aware of...)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings

you can do outbound biz/first and return Y, but prem is not bookable via VS (or any other ANA partner that I’m aware of...)
So I have to book a return redemption with ANA via VS.

Do you mean to say book a separate cash Premium flight for the return leg? And what of the biz return I already have? Lose the miles, or can I cancel?

I thought redemption via VS needed to be a return booking.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:50 pm

Just booked a seat in F for April 2020 traveling LAX NRT and HND LAX. Availability out of SFO and LAX was slim so I had to book April 10th on the outbound when I need to fly out a week earlier. Hoping someone cancels or changes their dates before then but not counting on it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by manutd123
Do you mean to say book a separate cash Premium flight for the return leg? And what of the biz return I already have? Lose the miles, or can I cancel?
What was meant was:
  1. the reward has to be round trip;
  2. it doesn't have to be in the same class each way (e.g., you can fly first (F) outbound and economy (Y) on the return); and
  3. your choices, subject to availability are first, business, economy (i.e., premium economy is not an option).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.