Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Number of Points Required for a Mixed Class Itinerary

I"m sure this has been answered already, but I haven't found that particular posting yet...

So, when redeeming Virgin points to book round trip tickets, is it possible to do business class going and first class coming back? If so, how are the points calculated. I see that, for example, ORD to HND/NRT is 95K for business and 120K for first class RT. Do they charge me 95K/2 + 120K/2 = 107.5 K per person?

Thanks.

Last edited by psoque; Dec 19, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: typo corrected
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by psoque
I"m sure this has been answered already, but I haven't found that particular posting yet...

So, when redeeming Virgin points to book round trip tickets, is it possible to do business class going and first class coming back? If so, how are the points calculated. I see that, for example, ORD to HND/NRT is 95K for business and 120K for first class RT. Do they charge me 95K/2 + 120K/2 = 107.5 K per person?

Thanks.
Yes, it is possible, and yes, 107,500 points.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:10 pm

Does anyone know if its a problem changing the Outbound-inbound order? For instance If i originally booked Nrt-ord , Ord-Nrt... but then wanted to change the date of the Nrt-Ord to after Ord-Nrt flight - thus making it the inbound flight... would this be possible?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:25 pm

Open-Jaw?

Is it possible to book a VS-J award on ANA from IAD-NRT, then TPE-IAD for 95k VS?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by agrippa04
Is it possible to book a VS-J award on ANA from IAD-NRT, then TPE-IAD for 95k VS?
No. You can only book nonstops with this pricing. Your booking would be IAD-NRT, NRT-IAD for 95k VS in J, then the TPE-NRT leg added on for some additional points.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Just a heads up. The agents I worked with over the weekend were adamant the hold period for NH awards is now 24 hours. VS can hold the reservation for longer, but NH may drop the segments if not ticketed within 24 hours. Incredibly competent team at VS, although YMMV.

I was able to find 2 F seats SFO-NRT-LAX for our dates. Not perfect quite yet but we have 7 months for it to fall in place. There was plenty of space if traveling solo.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 am

I have been doing thinking of how to get to Tokyo using vs miles. I live on east coast , but finding availability for ANA can be problematic at times from JFK. I am wondering if its possible to do ORD-NRT/HND and have return flight from NRT/HND-JFK. If it matter I would probably be flying F since there seems to be more availability.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cm007d
I have been doing thinking of how to get to Tokyo using vs miles. I live on east coast , but finding availability for ANA can be problematic at times from JFK. I am wondering if its possible to do ORD-NRT/HND and have return flight from NRT/HND-JFK. If it matter I would probably be flying F since there seems to be more availability.
That sort of routing should be possible. My only VS redemption ever was ORD-NRT, HND-LAX all in ANA F. It doesn't get much more "odd" than mixed east/west coast and using both of the Tokyo airports.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
That sort of routing should be possible. My only VS redemption ever was ORD-NRT, HND-LAX all in ANA F. It doesn't get much more "odd" than mixed east/west coast and using both of the Tokyo airports.
Thanks, maybe i should give VS a call and see if routing is possible it would really would be nice if i could it would save me a lot of miles.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Trying to book VS award on ANA in early March. Searched on United to book with miles and saw availability for business seats, but when I called Virgin Atlantic they said there's no availability for award tickets. Any advice here? I thought if United had availability VS should have some as well? Should I keep calling and see if another agent has more luck? Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is what I ended up doing. I was looking for business/first class ORD to HND/NRT round trip around Thanksgiving 2019. I have done this before, and I know these seats go away very quickly. I also found out that ANA releases their award seats to ANA members sooner than to United or Virgin Atlantic. So, I bit the bullet, transferred my AMEX MR points to ANA and secured the award seats that way (more points required and had to pay some fees). I also took note of what was available at that time on ANA website for the same dates. Then I checked the United website when they finally loaded the ANA business/first flights for the same dates. They were all gone. I would have preferred to use the Virgin Atlantic route to secure these, but I'm glad I did it this way.

I think use of Virgin Atlantic points for ANA flights would be great if the schedule is flexible and if the travel is not during a popular time of the year. However, in my case, I had to act sooner by going directly through ANA. This has its disadvantages, including
a) they don't hold award seats
b) they only allow round trips
c) it requires more points than VS
d) fees are higher

Last edited by psoque; Jan 21, 2019 at 6:18 am Reason: typo corrected
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:17 pm

I would HUCA several more times to see if you get a different result. I had to HUCA like 4-5 times before I was able to get my flights booked for F class.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by psoque
This is what I ended up doing. I was looking for business/first class ORD to HND/NRT round trip around Thanksgiving 2019. I have done this before, and I know these seats go away very quickly. I also found out that ANA releases their award seats to ANA members sooner than to United or Virgin Atlantic. So, I bit the bullet, transferred my AMEX MR points to ANA and secured the award seats that way (more points required and had to pay some fees). I also took note of what was available at that time on ANA website for the same dates. Then I checked the United website when they finally loaded the ANA business/first flights for the same dates. They were all gone. I would have preferred to use the Virgin Atlantic route to secure these, but I'm glad I did it this way.

I think use of Virgin Atlantic points for ANA flights would be great if the schedule is flexible and if the travel is not during a popular time of the year. However, in my case, I had to act sooner by going directly through ANA. This has its disadvantages, including
a) they don't hold award seats
b) they only allow round trips
c) it requires more points than VS
d) fees are higher
You're only allowed to book round trip through Virgin Atlantic as well. Also fees should be the same booking through ANA or through Virgin Atlantic.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:21 pm

Just booked my first ANA award through VS. After years of calling and booking partner awards through various programs that has to be the easiest and most straightforward process ever. I searched availability on UA. Availability was pretty poor but I was ultimately able to find two seats in J flying outbound SEA to NRT and return to SJC. I called and said I wanted to book an ANA award. They guy asked me the cities and the dates, and had the itinerary held within about 2 minutes. I transferred miles and called back and spent maybe another 3 minutes on the phone to pay and ticket and that was that. Crazy efficiency.

Taxes were a bit higher than I expected, but maybe that's the new departure fee from TYO? Anyway, 180,000 miles and $704 for two tickets. Great deal.
IndyHoosier, joachimm and nexusCFX like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Booked another ANA F through VS for SFO - NRT rt over Christmas/New Years. 110k miles and $352 for taxes, perfectly in line with expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.