Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ssg10
Just to refresh my mind. Do we check for availability with UNITED search engine?
Yes but look for saver bucket (i.e. NYC-TYO 110k United miles shown for first)
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by cm007d
I am tempted to transfer my MR to VS now even though i can't book my flight till early next year. I am just worried if i transfer now , what if I find no availability for JFK-HND or JFK-NRT
I transferred some yesterday (instant transfer) as I didn't want to miss the 30% MR bonus (which ends in a week or so). Citi ThankYou points transfer have to bonus up until Oct 10-15 or thereabouts. Transferred some today and instant too. Very impressed expected to wait a day or two
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:28 am

Data Point- called into VS today to ask for a date just released (330 days out). I see it on United. VS agent told me she could not see the availability. I put the date on 24 hour hold, but was told that I would have more luck calling back next week. Will HUCA later today to check on status... has any one else experienced this for a date just released?

Also- Hi! Long time reader, first time poster.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Debbed
Data Point- called into VS today to ask for a date just released (330 days out). I see it on United. VS agent told me she could not see the availability. I put the date on 24 hour hold, but was told that I would have more luck calling back next week. Will HUCA later today to check on status... has any one else experienced this for a date just released?

Also- Hi! Long time reader, first time poster.
Firstly, welcome to FT!

I believe sometimes this can happen because of the time differences between the UK and Japan, and how VS refreshes newly onboarded NH inventory. Whereas the UA system is 'live', I'm not sure the VS one is.

So if inventory is released at 1 a.m. T-330 in Japan, it will be seen by UA 'live', but for the UK system (which needs to send an availability request) it's still T-331 in the UK, and it may be that the UK system automatically blocks it, or hasn't refreshed newly onboarded inventory yet.

But the short answer is what you've already worked out: HUCA!

Let us know how you got on!

T.
Debbed likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Firstly, welcome to FT!

I believe sometimes this can happen because of the time differences between the UK and Japan, and how VS refreshes newly onboarded NH inventory. Whereas the UA system is 'live', I'm not sure the VS one is.

So if inventory is released at 1 a.m. T-330 in Japan, it will be seen by UA 'live', but for the UK system (which needs to send an availability request) it's still T-331 in the UK, and it may be that the UK system automatically blocks it, or hasn't refreshed newly onboarded inventory yet.

But the short answer is what you've already worked out: HUCA!

Let us know how you got on!

T.
Thank you for the welcome! I'm a bit exasperated after my first booking attempt. I called every day to check availability, and VS could not see it. As of this morning I saw the availability on United, ANA, and Expert Flyer. However, availability is now gone from all three, but no seats are taken on Expert Flyer.

Maybe ANA is limiting availability to VS? Do they usually release award seats and then rescind them?

I'll keep trying...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:48 pm

Thank you for the welcome! I'm a bit exasperated after my first booking attempt. I called every day to check availability, and VS could not see it. As of this morning I saw the availability on United, ANA, and Expert Flyer. However, availability is now gone from all three, but no seats are taken on Expert Flyer.

Maybe ANA is limiting availability to VS? Do they usually release award seats and then rescind them?

I'll keep trying...
What I have noticed that if someone puts the flight on hold, it will disappear from ExpertFlying. What date are you looking for? I was able to book a return flight today for August 7th.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by totoropanda
What I have noticed that if someone puts the flight on hold, it will disappear from ExpertFlying. What date are you looking for? I was able to book a return flight today for August 7th.
I’m looking at 8/3/18, but I’m flexible for any date after 8/2. NRT-IAD- NRT. The outbound leg is fine, but they couldn’t see anything for IAD-NRT from the 2nd to 5th.

Were you you able to see 8/7 on United?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:11 pm

I’m looking at 8/3/18, but I’m flexible for any date after 8/2. NRT-IAD- NRT. The outbound leg is fine, but they couldn’t see anything for IAD-NRT from the 2nd to 5th.

Were you you able to see 8/7 on United?
I was not but I assume United didn't update over the weekend and today is the first day 7th is available. Not seeing anything available for those dates ;/
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

I'm a bit confused on booking with the t-330 method. How do you book the outbound leg right when it opens up before a return leg is available? Do you book the return for the next day and then do a date change?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I'm a bit confused on booking with the t-330 method. How do you book the outbound leg right when it opens up before a return leg is available? Do you book the return for the next day and then do a date change?
Yes, exactly that. It's only a $50 award change fee, which is quite reasonable.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by aquanine
do you need to book first for the dummy return or will economy do (in case nothing opens up)?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by totoropanda
I was not but I assume United didn't update over the weekend and today is the first day 7th is available. Not seeing anything available for those dates ;/
FYI- I had success booking 8/6. BUT it should be noted that neither flight (outbound/inbound) was showing up in United's award calendar when I booked. Let's hope the change for the actual return is smoother.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by aquanine
Does anyone know if you can change the "return" flight to depart before your outbound flight, so to speak? If I am trying to fly LAX - TYO RT, in order to get the desired LAX --> TYO outbound when it opens (e.g. 9/1) , can I book an earlier, open TYO --> LAX flight (e.g. 7/25), and then when my actual desired TYO --> LAX date opens (e.g. 9/8), I can change my originally booked TYO --> LAX leg to a date after my LAX --> TYO booking? Effectively, does the LAX --> TYO vs. TYO --> LAX order matter for award changes?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
/Possible to change R/T partner award after outbound sector flown

I'm looking to book an ex-US ANA J/F award in December. I understand how to find availability. My outbound US-Japan flight will be on December 19. My return Japan-US flight could be anytime between Jan 10-24. I may not know until I arrive in Japan.

Can I book a roundtrip reward using VS miles on ANA, fly the December outbound US-Japan flight, and while in Japan, change the return date? As a Gold member, would there be a fee?

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I am struggling to get two F awards ticketed. I found a day when EF showed 2 O seats for LAX-HND and then a day where EF showed 1 each for the NRT-LAX flights and so had planned to book us on the LAX-HND flight together and the separate returns, with a plan to look for an O seat opening where we could get on the same plane home. Strangely, the first ticket went through fine, but the second one came back unconfirmed for LAX-HND. The agent tried submitting it again and same problem. Then I saw that the morning LAX-NRT flight had space and so had him try that and he said neither the LAX-HND nor LAX-NRT flights would come back confirmed. This is strange as still shows one O seat for each of the outbound flights from LAX on that day. The agent said to give it three hours and call back to try again, anyone experience something like this? I was under the impression that EF availability mapped to what VS would be able to book (within the 330 day window of course, which I am well within).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.