Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:28 pm

I've read this thread and found the information very useful.

I'm trying to book a flight about a year out, with pretty flexible dates. I understand that flights open up 330 days out. Looking 330 days out today, I see an availability to Tokyo. However, I can't book a return flight as I understand since there's no award availability 331+ days out. Are you able to book a non-ANA return flight for 331+ days out, and then pay the change fee once a return flight opens up?

Thanks

Last edited by Boringbarry; Oct 8, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I hope not... but I wouldn't be surprised if ANA finally said "enough is enough" regarding the clearly unbalanced situation of VS members grabbing much of ANA's premium cabin award space whilst I can't see too many ANA members booking rewards on VS metal.

When these things don't net off to close to zero, freezes are often put on partnerships. i.e. Avianca Lifemiles and Lufthansa for example...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by Boringbarry
I've read this thread and found the information very useful.

I'm trying to book a flight about a year out, with pretty flexible dates. I understand that flights open up 330 days out. Looking 330 days out today, I see an availability to Tokyo. However, I can't book a return flight as I understand since there's no award availability 331+ days out. Are you able to book a non-ANA return flight for 331+ days out, and then pay the change fee once a return flight opens up?

Thanks
No. Virgin Atlantic will not allow you to book any flight 331+ days out, period.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by aquanine
No. Virgin Atlantic will not allow you to book any flight 331+ days out, period.
Are you able to book the outbound and inbound flight for the same day, or would basically have to wait for +329 (or +328) days on the outbound, and then +330 for the return? I.E am I able to book both flights together even if they are not possibly flyable since the outbound would be occuring during the time of the inbound?

Last edited by Boringbarry; Oct 9, 2019 at 6:50 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boringbarry;[url=tel:31608856
31608856[/url]]Are you able to book the outbound and inbound flight for the same day, or would basically have to wait for +329 (or +328) days on the outbound, and then +330 for the return?
Search this thread and the ANA forum for “dummy.” There’s lots of discussion on booking dummy flights so you can lock in one way while waiting for the other to open up.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA++
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I hope not... but I wouldn't be surprised if ANA finally said "enough is enough" regarding the clearly unbalanced situation of VS members grabbing much of ANA's premium cabin award space whilst I can't see too many ANA members booking rewards on VS metal.

When these things don't net off to close to zero, freezes are often put on partnerships. i.e. Avianca Lifemiles and Lufthansa for example...

Guess what, folks?

I was using SMS contact instead of toll free phone calls, since VS provides US customer a SMS agent. I could not find the seats with SMS agent. BUT, i called in amd the agent could dind the seats amd I booked it!

So, do not use their SMS.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

Outside of the LHR-HND flights, are there any others which carry the new 212 Business Class seat The Room?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by manutd123
Outside of the LHR-HND flights, are there any others which carry the new 212 Business Class seat The Room?
See this thread for the latest: New 777-300ER (77W) F/C/PY/Y Seating (consolidated)
manutd123 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
Just went through a painful 1.5h SMS booking to secure F seats. Apparently the agent wasn't able to see any Y seats on ANA even though they are available on UA and Aeroplan's search. I had to find another F flight on the fly (no pun intended) to secure the RT requirement.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:54 am

I put a hold on a reservation for FRA - HND in July next year last weekend but then got a bit bogged down in work and forgot to confirm it. Phoned back about 12 hours later and my business class return had gone, put another hold on a new booking for F both ways and waited to see if anything would come up to save me having to buy more miles for the return. Some availability in J popped up again today so managed to get everything booked for 107,500 miles and £210 in tax - can't argue with that at all.

Living in the UK, LHR is easier for me but the sheer lack of availability whatsoever and increased taxes makes FRA a much better choice.

Was a pretty painless experience all in all, can't really fault it.

Fingers crossed the new layout will be in operation to/from FRA by July 2020.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Is this for two people or just one?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Lewis42
Is this for two people or just one?
That was for one person, although from what I've heard finding availability for 2+ seats with ANA can be quite challenging. I know when I was looking on the united site, a lot of dates only had one ticket available in F or J.

You should be able to use the UA checker to find availability for two people though. If you aren't bothered about the new seats then there may also be options out of DUS.
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Is it possible to book an open jaw for this redemption? LAX to NRT then NRT back to SFO for example?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by seigex
Is it possible to book an open jaw for this redemption? LAX to NRT then NRT back to SFO for example?
yes
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by blitzen
yes
Thanks. I figured but the VS rep said they don't allow open jaws anymore. Did a HUCA and the next person didn't seem to have an issue changing my flight from direct to open jaw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.