Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

On the ESTA application, don't lie, but don't volunteer information either. Just answer what is asked truthfully and concisely.

When you arrive, you can try using the machine and see what happens. If the system doesn't recognize you, you will have to go through the first-timers process.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
On the ESTA application, don't lie, but don't volunteer information either. Just answer what is asked truthfully and concisely.

When you arrive, you can try using the machine and see what happens. If the system doesn't recognize you, you will have to go through the first-timers process.
Thanks for that. Should I take both passports with me just in case?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I would take both passports, I think that when you enter your passport that has the "old" ESTA it will pop-up your flight details as that is assosicated with the advance passenger information you will have supplied. If you put in your "new" passport and ESTA it will likely say "huh?" and not find the flight details. As for filling in the ESTA for your new passport all you can do is fill in (or scan) the details from it and enter them exactly as they are, there is a part where you have to say if you have other passports or "alias", and that is where I would put it. On the basis I don't think there is anywhere else to put it. But as someone said, whatever you do don't lie or try to be clever, just answer what they put in front of you honestly and all will be fine.

And yes, having to endure the first time ESTA, and in fact US immigration (without GE), is like a step back in time.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I recommend not transiting via the US on an international-international flight. Unless you're going to spend some time here, why deal with the potential for delay and other problems? Can you connect through Canada or somewhere else?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:36 am

ESTA form problems (Merged into master thread)

I've had two previous ESTA's and had no problems completing the application form.

However, this time when I fill in my details correctly and click to proceed to the next page red errors appear on my name and phone number.

Yesterday afternoon I wasted 2 hours trying to geet the site to accept my details. I tried 2 different browsers and a tablet as well as my PC. Still the same problem.

Another half an hour this morning and I still can't get past Page 2.

The only thing I haven't done is upload my passport. Perhaps this is the key? Unfortunately I don't know how to do this, despite searching for instructions.

Is the site down? Or are weekends the worst time to complete the form?

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:31 am

Esta form now completed.

The key was managing to upload a scan of my passport!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried the scan once. I won't be doing that again.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I would take both passports, I think that when you enter your passport that has the "old" ESTA it will pop-up your flight details as that is associated with the advance passenger information you will have supplied. If you put in your "new" passport and ESTA it will likely say "huh?" and not find the flight details. As for filling in the ESTA for your new passport all you can do is fill in (or scan) the details from it and enter them exactly as they are, there is a part where you have to say if you have other passports or "alias", and that is where I would put it. On the basis, I don't think there is anywhere else to put it. But as someone said, whatever you do don't lie or try to be clever, just answer what they put in front of you honestly and all will be fine.

And yes, having to endure the first time ESTA, and in fact, US immigration (without GE), is like a step back in time.
I somehow missed your reply until now. My flight details are associated with the new passport, as I went through the name changing process with BA before I got the tickets. It's just that my first ever entry on ESTA was at JFK, and it took over 2 hours, i really hope i don't have to go through that again this time, my connection time is less than that.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Is the application site broken for anyone? I get all my details in and then get to the verification step [passport number, DOB, name and citizenship] the progress wheel whirls once and dumps me back to the same page with no error or progress.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably ate too much turkey
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Can I ask a couple of quick questions?

I got an ESTA in October 2018 for a visit to NYC with my son, done as a group application.
I'm going to Chicago in October 2020 on my own.

I believe the ESTA was issued in September 2018, so I'm guessing that it won't be valid in October 2020. If I renew it now, can I have time added on to the old ESTA, or does the clock start again from the moment I apply for the new one.
Do I have to go through the first-timers' process again when I arrive, or can I use the automated gates? Does the fact that I did a group application last time make any difference?

In an ideal world, I'd like to keep an ESTA constantly valid so I can visit the USA on a whim when I find an exciting airfare.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No time is added. You get a brand new one so there is no "renewal" as such (ie. ESTA is extended). You should go on the system, plug in your details, and see what it says the end date is. The ideal world does not exist so I stick a reminder in my diary when renewal is a month away (I find their automated reminder flaky in the extreme) to keep it valid at all times. C'est la vie.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC, VAFC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No time is added. You get a brand new one so there is no "renewal" as such (ie. ESTA is extended). You should go on the system, plug in your details, and see what it says the end date is. The ideal world does not exist so I stick a reminder in my diary when renewal is a month away (I find their automated reminder flaky in the extreme) to keep it valid at all times. C'est la vie.
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Is a new ESTA on the original passport a new entry that requires me to stand in line for a long time? Or can I go through the machines?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it is slower when it is a new, ie. first time use, ESTA. How slow depends on your port of entry and what has landed ahead of you.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2
Thanks, that's what I thought.

Is a new ESTA on the original passport a new entry that requires me to stand in line for a long time? Or can I go through the machines?
Not necessarily requiring you to stand in line for a long time, but the line lengths vary a lot.

About the second question, some US ports of entry don’t segregate first-time ESTA users apart from repeat ESTA users while others may.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.