Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by fgd
We are visiting my husband's family for Christmas and I am wondering if I may join my US husband in the US citizen line? I am neither US citizen neither US resident and am traveling on the regular ESTA visa. Do I need proof that we are married?

Any recent information would be highly appreciated. We will be flying into SJC.
Have you ever been in the US with an ESTA before? In several airports they have one line that can be used by both US citizens and returning ESTA users.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:06 am
fgd

Programs: British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by Arctifox
Have you ever been in the US with an ESTA before? In several airports they have one line that can be used by both US citizens and returning ESTA users.
I fly to to the US quite frequently and I have never seen such a line. I'll keep my eyes open since nobody seems to agree about what is right and what isn't!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Arctifox
Is this the line for APC kiosks? Some information on them here if so https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KARFA
Is this the line for APC kiosks? Some information on them here if so https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc
Often yes, but not always. The line arrangements, and even the presence of APC kiosks, has varied from port of entry to port of entry and sometimes even from one terminal to another terminal at the same airport.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by fgd
I fly to to the US quite frequently and I have never seen such a line. I'll keep my eyes open since nobody seems to agree about what is right and what isn't!
I confirm that such a "returning ESTA" line exists, at least at Atlanta. I used it last year. I remember that the sign was quite small, I almost missed it.
This is an example of such a sign (not from Atlanta):
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:51 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
any benefit in using a 'clean' passport for ESTA application?

Going to the US in March, first time in 6-7 years. I have two UK passports, one of which has about 25 random visas for places that the USA might deem 'suspicious' (Nigeria, DRC, Mauritania, Uzbekistan, etc) while one has only 3 stamps in it. I'd prefer to use the mostly finished passport, but not if it's going to make my application or treatment harder. Does anyone have any idea if 'stamps in a passport' make any difference?

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
None at all as far as I am aware.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Just want to confirm my thinking. The ESTA (Australian Passport holders applying) is multi entry? We will fly through to JFK and stay 1 night and then fly out. Then 2 weeks later will stay in New York for 4 nights. Our flights will be traveling from AUSTRALIA-TAIWAN-USA-UK-USA-TAIWAN-AUSTRALIA.
Just a family member is telling me it might only allow single entry and would then need to re-apply once we have done 1 entry and exit.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:01 pm

Yes, it is valid for multiple entries within the validity period.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by tris06
Just want to confirm my thinking. The ESTA (Australian Passport holders applying) is multi entry? We will fly through to JFK and stay 1 night and then fly out. Then 2 weeks later will stay in New York for 4 nights. Our flights will be traveling from AUSTRALIA-TAIWAN-USA-UK-USA-TAIWAN-AUSTRALIA.
Just a family member is telling me it might only allow single entry and would then need to re-apply once we have done 1 entry and exit.

Thanks in advance
You have to love family members that "think" or are "only trying to help".
secondsoprano likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
FYI

I had problems paying when attempting to renew my ESTA. The CBP site redirects you to https://pay.gov to make the payment and that site failed to connect for me since Sunday 13th May, both from work and home.

After inspecting the network traffic with Wireshark I realised that I was attempting to access pay.gov over IPv6, but the site was not responding correctly. After disabling IPv6 on my PC and restarting Chrome I was able to finally connect to pay.gov and complete the payment.

I've contacted pay.gov to let them know of the issue.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:07 am

My wife is a dual Australian and US Citizen. Is there any reason why she couldn’t get an ESTA and travel on her Australian passport when we go the US? Is she required to use her US passport? If she travels on her Australian passport will the system flag that she is also a US citizen?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Plat
She must use her US passport to go to the USA
secondsoprano likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CBP claims that real-time (as application submission) approvals for ESTA are no longer taking place.

I will eventually find out if this means that DHS uses this to reject ESTA applications made by and on behalf of US dual-citizens wanting to use the non-US passport from a US Visa Waiver Program country to travel to the US as has been possible since before and even after ESTA first went live.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 18, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA
Just applied for a new ESTA, it's been pending for over an hour. I used to get instant approval but I guess that's a thing of the past. I wonder if it will be slower than usual due to US government shutdown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.