Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The latter half of the above compound sentence is not necessarily true, even as generally there is indeed no harm from the address being used.
What's your point? Can you back that up with something substantial?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What's your point? Can you back that up with something substantial?
“Guilt by (address) association” has been used by US intelligence and law enforcement personnel. I’ve seen it done on the job, but you’re free to doubt whatever you wish, including that the world is round.

But we also “follow the money”.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
“Guilt by (address) association” has been used by US intelligence and law enforcement personnel. I’ve seen it done on the job, but you’re free to doubt whatever you wish, including that the world is round.

But we also “follow the money”.
No then. Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
This has been a bit derailed. GUWonder and Silver Fox, thanks for trying to help but I'm a bit confused now.

Without starting a war, will either of you give your opinion on whether or not using my address will be a problem for either me or the guest?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
This has been a bit derailed. GUWonder and Silver Fox, thanks for trying to help but I'm a bit confused now.

Without starting a war, will either of you give your opinion on whether or not using my address will be a problem for either me or the guest?
Not a problem in the slightest.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Not a problem for ESTA.

They'll also need to use it again for APIS as they have to give the address for their first night's accommodation when checking in.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Thank you!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:23 am
Suspended

No then. Thanks.
Wrong answer.

GE membership has even been denied or revoked on the basis of “guilty by association” using addresses. It’s rare, but it happens.

Generally there is indeed no harm from the address being used by a tenant seeking an ESTA using the address of the accommodation being rented.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skatering
Not a problem for ESTA.

They'll also need to use it again for APIS as they have to give the address for their first night's accommodation when checking in.
The addresses may be different for ESTA and APIS.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you just take your misplaced paranoia elsewhere. Annually, thousands of people from outside the US have been filling in ESTA and APIS in exactly these same circumstances and there is not an issue. You are just derailing this thread with your inferences that you are unable to backup with anything meaningful so far.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Can you just take your misplaced paranoia elsewhere. Annually, thousands of people from outside the US have been filling in ESTA and APIS in exactly these same circumstances and there is not an issue. You are just derailing this thread with your inferences that you are unable to backup with anything meaningful so far.
No paranoia here. Just relying upon facts that I’ve observed on the job repeatedly.

And if reading what I posted you would see repeated indications of this: “Generally there is indeed no harm from the address being used by a tenant seeking an ESTA using the address of the accommodation being rented.”. Paranoia?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:31 am
fgd

Programs: British Airways Silver
Neither US citizen nor US resident, regular ESTA visa. Which line in SJC?

We are visiting my husband's family for Christmas and I am wondering if I may join my US husband in the US citizen line? I am neither US citizen neither US resident and am traveling on the regular ESTA visa. Do I need proof that we are married?

Any recent information would be highly appreciated. We will be flying into SJC.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by fgd
We are visiting my husband's family for Christmas and I am wondering if I may join my US husband in the US citizen line? I am neither US citizen neither US resident and am traveling on the regular ESTA visa. Do I need proof that we are married?

No, but he can join you in the Non-US citizen/resident line.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgd

Whether it is official or not, wife and I have done it for the last 14 years when travelling with daughter and never had an issue. It is one blue customs form per family (assuming no frequent traveller programs in play) and as she is a US citizen we enter the US citizen line as a family. The passport readers are more than capable of handling Johnny Foreigner passports (despite what some people may say) and it has been a total non-event.

Strangely the only time we did get told off was when by some absolute miracle and an obvious screw-up in desk allocation, we all went down the non-US citizen line with her and the agent said "you should have all gone through the US citizen line".

YMMV.

My strategy with family now: just pick the shortest line.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:04 pm

I was told by more than one CBP officer that the correct procedure is to go through the US Citizen line if you are with an US spouse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.