Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:30 pm

Looks like a case for getting a 3rd passport...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I know that the plural of anecdote is not data but some years ago a colleague was given a lengthy (20+ mins) questioning about having two UK passports when we entered the US.

It seems the USBP agent just couldn't get his head around someone legitimately having two UK passports with different numbers, dates etc. I think he said that in the rare cases US citizens need a second passport it's a copy of the first, not another number. So he was very suspicious - but ultimately let him through.
A British friend of mine has three US passports, one of them an "Official Business" passport. Apparently he has to keep his UK passport at the British Embassy in case he tries to run off at short notice.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Calchas
A British friend of mine has three US passports, one of them an "Official Business" passport. Apparently he has to keep his UK passport at the British Embassy in case he tries to run off at short notice.
We issue at least three kinds of US passports for US citizens, and we issue separate types of US passports for the minority of US nationals who are not US citizens.

An ordinary US passport, an official passport and a diplomatic passport are the three types most common in the US for US citizens -- in that order IIRC. Within those types of passports, we also issue limited validity period second passports. The passport numbers are different for each passport, even if the same person has two valid US passports of the same type with some concurrent validity period (usually two years).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:17 pm

Will these circumstances be a red flag for ESTA entry?

I live in the UK, and have a full time job, and proof social and economic ties etc. That' all fine, I have scans of everything but no hard copies.

I've taken a couple of months off. I've been in Europe the past month, flying to the USA tomorrow via London transit.

I have a 24 inch computer monitor in my possession. I have no way of getting it safely home in time before the flight.

I'm thinking about dumping it as I'm worried it will flag me up as an immigrant. Especially with the travel pattern.

Am I being overcautious? It cost £130 new.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by samko0
I live in the UK, and have a full time job, and proof social and economic ties etc. That' all fine, I have scans of everything but no hard copies.

I've taken a couple of months off. I've been in Europe the past month, flying to the USA tomorrow via London transit.

I have a 24 inch computer monitor in my possession. I have no way of getting it safely home in time before the flight.

I'm thinking about dumping it as I'm worried it will flag me up as an immigrant. Especially with the travel pattern.

Am I being overcautious? It cost £130 new.
It's tough to predict, but regardless, there are any number of reasons why you shouldn't carry it to the US. Chief among them: The likelihood of it being stolen or damaged en route is huge. Also, why lug something that size around if you don't have to? You may also incur checked-bag fees.

Where in the UK are you based? Is there anyone who could pick it up for you while you're in transit in London? Are you flying back through London? What about one of the left-luggage storage services?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:55 am

Another visit to US on ESTA

Hi everyone, I've tried looking on the us customs website and googling for an answer to this question but couldn't get that clear a response.

I travelled to the US in December for a three week trip on an ESTA. My passport was stamped at border control with the expiry date on March 16th. I am now returning to the US for a week long trip, and I have a few questions:

I know the esta runs for two years, but do I need to update the details?
As I am still well within the 90 day period, is there any way I can 'fast track' border control, as if I was a returning citizen to avoid the lengthy queues?
Also, will my return to the US for another trip so soon after my last raise suspicion? Must I take documentation proving I have reason to return to the UK?

In addition, i am flying EDI-EWR-IAH with united. Am I correct in saying that I will pass through border control at EWR, and will therefore be required to collect my checked luggage and re check it for my domestic flight?

Thanks you all in advance
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Up to you whether you update details - I very rarely do.
No you will have to enter as usual - and shouldn't raise suspicion - assume is just vacation again.
Yes collect luggage, and drop off again
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1k
Another visit to US on ESTA

Not sure if Newark has them yet, but US customs and immigration are introducing Automated Passport Control kiosks at hubs for oversees visitors on returning ESTA visas. Certainly Washington has them already. They work in the same way as the global entry machines. Scan your passport, finger print and iris scan then answer the customs questions. Present your receipt to the officer at the desk with your passport and away you go.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jacobprince
In addition, i am flying EDI-EWR-IAH with united. Am I correct in saying that I will pass through border control at EWR, and will therefore be required to collect my checked luggage and re check it for my domestic flight?
All persons arriving in the US undergo immigrations and customs inspections at their port of entry, which for you is Newark.

Your bags should be tagged all the way through to Houston, however, you will have to collect them at EWR, go through customs and then drop them at the transfer desk when you exit the customs hall.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Richym99
Not sure if Newark has them yet, but US customs and immigration are introducing Automated Passport Control kiosks at hubs for oversees visitors on returning ESTA visas. Certainly Washington has them already. They work in the same way as the global entry machines. Scan your passport, finger print and iris scan then answer the customs questions. Present your receipt to the officer at the desk with your passport and away you go.
Now does that mean you don't have to stand at the kiosk being asked questions?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:55 am

ESTA - A Quickie Please............

We're due to go to the USA on 17th March, returning on 23rd. Wifey's ESTA expires on 20th March. Does the ESTA need to be valid for the entire length of stay, or only matter as long as it's valid on the day we arrive please?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Apparently not:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ited-states%3F

However, given the choice between

a. Paying $20; and
b. Being questioned by a CBP/TSA agent who does't know the rule

I wouldn't want to explore any further.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by Cymro
Apparently not:

a. Paying $20; and

^ +1
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Apparently not:

a. Paying $20; and

Since you are not required to carry the ESTA with you when you travel, I would suspect that the computer just gives a Yes/No status when the passport is scanned.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Last December my ESTA expired whilst in the US. It just has to be valid on arrival.
It is after all for entering. Stay is granted by one’s visa or VWP passport.

After finding the CBP link myself, I decided not to apply for a new one.
My next trip was not until May, so I didn’t want to waste those months.
No problems or questions whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.