Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Cymro
Apparently not:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ited-states%3F

However, given the choice between

a. Paying $20; and
b. Being questioned by a CBP/TSA agent who does't know the rule

I wouldn't want to explore any further.
Has the ESTA cost increased? I got one for my father last month and it was only $14.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
ESTA = $14
Valid for 24 months at $0.58 a month
Thus a saving of about £2.30 for not covering Dec-May.

I'm not being cruel, but that seems like incredible thriftiness in the face of risking a long wait in immigration when you get bumped into the "dodgy foreigners from countries we don't approve of" queue.
Good to know that didn't happen though!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Foltan
ESTA = $14
Valid for 24 months at $0.58 a month
Thus a saving of about £2.30 for not covering Dec-May.

I'm not being cruel, but that seems like incredible thriftiness in the face of risking a long wait in immigration when you get bumped into the "dodgy foreigners from countries we don't approve of" queue.
Good to know that didn't happen though!
But there is no risk at all, the requirement is clear: valid on arrival.
In my opinion, if there are no further trips planned in the near future, applying for a new ESTA would be overreacting. And besides, if eligible (previous entry on same passport since 2008) most main airports now have APC kiosks, so interaction with immigration officers is minimal.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, OWE Saphire, VS, IB, HHonours, Former Under The Sea Dweller
I have an Esta for my trip last June, I am going again this june, I have changed the 1st Hotel Location etc, the the flight arrival number seems not to be able to be change. Should I worry about this or just go and get a new ESTA?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Tuggster, don't worry about changing the details as these are optional information. I didn't even change hotel details on mine on my previous visit.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by Tuggster
I have an Esta for my trip last June, I am going again this june, I have changed the 1st Hotel Location etc, the the flight arrival number seems not to be able to be change. Should I worry about this or just go and get a new ESTA?
Hi Tuggster,

Ive never put in any flight information or hotel details into my esta applications and have been fine so, far, in fact I have just viewed what I submitted, and those details are optional.

You dont need a new esta for every visit or for every flight as the one you have is valid of 2 years and multiple entrys into the US.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:56 am

I have to renew it anyway - I just realised we're crossing the border into Mexico and returning into the USA about three days after it expires. That could cause difficulty, embarrassment or both!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, we raised the ESTA price a few years ago. I am just waiting to see when we raise the ESTA price again, but there will be advance notice of a price hike.

Originally Posted by bealine
I have to renew it anyway - I just realised we're crossing the border into Mexico and returning into the USA about three days after it expires. That could cause difficulty, embarrassment or both!
ESTAs aren't generally required of British citizens if coming in by land from Canada or Mexico. By sea or air, yes, needed commonly; by land, not necessary.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
ESTAs aren't generally required of British citizens if coming in by land from Canada or Mexico. By sea or air, yes, needed commonly; by land, not necessary.
Do you know any scenarios where they do need one then - or was that just insurance for some rare and weird scenario you couldn't think of where you might need it?

I was under the impression that it had nothing to do with land borders whatsoever. And as the ESTA doesn't give any eligibility to actually enter the country, I'm not sure it would help you out anyway?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
Do you know any scenarios where they do need one then - or was that just insurance for some rare and weird scenario you couldn't think of where you might need it?

I was under the impression that it had nothing to do with land borders whatsoever. And as the ESTA doesn't give any eligibility to actually enter the country, I'm not sure it would help you out anyway?
ESTA is only required for people eligible for VWP arriving by air or sea - period. It is NOT required for land border crossings.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:16 am
Suspended

"By land, not necessary".
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:38 pm

"By land, not necessary".
"Aren't generally required" = possibly could be required...
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:54 pm
Suspended

"Aren't generally required" = possibly could be required...
Not how I would put it.

Yes, we raised the ESTA price a few years ago. I am just waiting to see when we raise the ESTA price again, but there will be advance notice of a price hike.

Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Another visit to US on ESTA

An immigration agent still checks your passport and stamps it as you are passing from the immigration hall into baggage claim but it took about 30 seconds because the computer has done most of the work.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:58 am

Hi all,

Hijacking this thread: one of my friend got her ESTA and her daughter's filled by a third party website (dumb, I know).

They made a mistake for her 10 yo daughter, it says she's a boy (her name is Noa, hence the confusion).

Is this a big deal?
If so, is it possible to just redo the ESTA or is this gonna be flagged?

Thanks,
Ben.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.