Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:48 pm

Its expiration shouldn't matter. Note that many (most?) people have been having their ESTA cancelled automatically, and they have been avoiding that being a problem by checking in at the airport rather than online so as to enable its reinstatement with a check of your whereabouts the preceding two weeks. I.e., it's reinstated when you can show that you weren't in a banned area the 14 days prior to travel. It's surmised that the online check-in and presumed APIS data transfer that triggers is cause for the ESTA cancellations.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: British Airways Exec Club Gold, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold, United Airlines Premier Gold
Hi, I have travelled a few times this year to Israel to do my 14 days outside of the UK. I have renewed my ESTA before my second trip (due to expiry) and face no problems at all. Approval came through within 10 hrs. I am a British Citizen/Passport holder. Hope this helps. Have a good trip!
greenmeadie likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by benjamingluck1
Hi, I have travelled a few times this year to Israel to do my 14 days outside of the UK. I have renewed my ESTA before my second trip (due to expiry) and face no problems at all. Approval came through within 10 hrs. I am a British Citizen/Passport holder. Hope this helps. Have a good trip!
Thanks Benjamin! Thats helpful. So is there any benefit to renewing it now, or should I just let it expire while i'm in the US and then reapply after that point? I've read on the CBP website its fine to let it expire while in the US but as always with these things, I'd like to play it safe.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No issue at all, but there is no need to renew it now.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ Skywards Gold/Hilton Diamond
Anybody ever come across this message after putting in payment details on my cc.

The payment status could not be determined at this time. Please check back later for the payment status.

Unfortunately there is now nothing on the page for me to be able to resubmit payment and travel to US next Thursday. Anyone have any ideas how I get this paid for now
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by muskysman
Anybody ever come across this message after putting in payment details on my cc.

The payment status could not be determined at this time. Please check back later for the payment status.

Unfortunately there is now nothing on the page for me to be able to resubmit payment and travel to US next Thursday. Anyone have any ideas how I get this paid for now
I had this recently when I tried to use PayPal. I waited for about 3 hours, could see no transactions on PP, kept checking on the ESTA site and eventually I managed to pay using a credit card. For the life of me I cannot recall what the status changed to for it to allow me to pay by card but that went through almost immediately. I won't be trying with PP again on that site.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ Skywards Gold/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I had this recently when I tried to use PayPal. I waited for about 3 hours, could see no transactions on PP, kept checking on the ESTA site and eventually I managed to pay using a credit card. For the life of me I cannot recall what the status changed to for it to allow me to pay by card but that went through almost immediately. I won't be trying with PP again on that site.
Ironically my partner used Paypal for her's straight after me and her's went through fine. Mine just has a page saying I need to pay but no ability to do it..even tried calling but looks like everyone in US on holiday until Monday.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:34 pm

ESTA on new passport of new nationality

Hello! I'm hoping to go to NYC for a week in March for a holiday. I am (by birth) Italian and Swiss and (for the past year) naturalized British. I have been to the US several times (with family in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 [on this occasion alone on a J-1 visa], 2015 again with family) using my Italian or my Swiss passports while flying from Italy (choice was made depending on passport validity/whether it was electronic etc.) In 2015 I flew in from Canada and could not use the self-kiosks as I was directed immediately to an agent by staff at YUL, even if I was using the Italian passport I had used in 2008 and 2010.

As I will be flying to the US from the UK, I have applied for and received an ESTA using my new British passport. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Will I be able to use the self-kiosks? Or will I have to go through the finger-print etc. processing again as I'm flying with a new passport from a new country?
  2. Should I bring my previous passports at all?
  3. Do you think any of this would cause any further questioning from CBP staff? I am an extremely anxiety-prone person and tend to imagine worst-case scenarios. I am a single man, in his late 20s, homeowner, studying full-time and receiving a grant in the UK. No trouble with the law. Any chance of this causing issues for my solo trip?
Thanks!

Edit: If I plan on visiting again the next few years, would you also recommend applying for Global Entry and use the Enrollment on Arrival service?

Last edited by flyertalker0013223; Jan 9, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
On your last point even you applied for GE today it’s highly unlikely you’d get conditional approval to do EOA in March.

IMHO EOA is badly misnamed as it is Interview on Arrival. Enrolement implies applying.
flyertalker0013223 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
On your last point even you applied for GE today it’s highly unlikely you’d get conditional approval to do EOA in March.

IMHO EOA is badly misnamed as it is Interview on Arrival. Enrolement implies applying.
Thank you. In the end I decided against it simply because it's quite a bit of money (the $100 plus the £42 to the Home Office) and I'd rather spend that on a good dinner in NYC itself. Besides, I don't have any plans to actually travel to the US after this trip.

Any ideas as to the other points?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:44 am

Quick ESTA question....

Just had my ESTA approved, but when printing out the approval I spotted my pasport expiry date is out by 2 days - typo error on my part, clearly.

Don't think this can be corrected on line so - as I am paaoved will this cause an issue on arrival, or is it best to re-apply with the right details? Will a second application cancel out the one that's approved?

Best steps forward? TIA!
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by drscoop
Quick ESTA question....

Just had my ESTA approved, but when printing out the approval I spotted my pasport expiry date is out by 2 days - typo error on my part, clearly.

Don't think this can be corrected on line so - as I am paaoved will this cause an issue on arrival, or is it best to re-apply with the right details? Will a second application cancel out the one that's approved?

Best steps forward? TIA!
You should apply for a new one, I think. The old one would be canceled.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by drscoop
Quick ESTA question....

Best steps forward? TIA!
it was approved so I would accept that approval. Whatever systems DHS uses to approve the application approved yours via the other data you submitted.

it won’t cause an issue on arrival into the US as ESTA is a pre arrival authorisation to travel.

if you do reapply then it will automatically cancel the existing one But there would be a message flash up saying something like “you already have an esta are you sure?”
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:04 am

This is my first time applying for an ESTA. I've gotten to the final page titled "PAY NOW AND COMPLETE APPLICATION". It lists US$14 as the total due, along with a checkbox. Below the checkbox are the words:
---

DISCLAIMER*

I understand that a request by the cardholder to the bank or PayPal for a refund of the fees will result in an automatic denial of the application.
We are unable to process your payment. Please try again later.
---

What does that mean? It never asked me for payment, and the only input form I've ever seen is that one checkbox, which I've checked. Is the website just broken? How often does this happen, and how much later is later? I've had the same issue in both Firefox and Edge, both with no ad or popup blocker enabled.

Edit: I tried again 12 hours later, and a Payment button has appered overnight. The website may just be unavailable on Sundays, or perhaps was just broken yesterday.

Last edited by Xobs; Mar 6, 2022 at 8:41 pm Reason: Adding more information
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’s probably just a website glitch. What it means is that if you attempt to cancel the payment after it is made your ESTA will not be processed. I would try again in a few minutes with your application details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.