Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
At airports where ESTA users can use APC machines, she can still use the APC kiosks. Either way, she will be talking to a US CBP employee in much the same way as before -- that means giving fingerprint, face photo at the staffed counters even after getting the APC kiosk receipt.
Thanks. So in reality it will be a waste of time to use the machines as she will receive the cross on the receipt and be directed to have the usual checks with an official.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Thanks. So in reality it will be a waste of time to use the machines as she will receive the cross on the receipt and be directed to have the usual checks with an official.
It won't be a waste of time, unless and until the line for the APC kiosks and/or APC kiosk users (after the kiosk use) line is longer than the line for visitors using visas affixed in the passport.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:14 pm

OK, so the new ESTA rules.
I talked about this in another thread but I'm still thinking about this.
Has anyone here travelled recently to the States on an "old" ESTA? My ESTA is from mid-2014 so it's still valid. I've been the New York on it twice, once in 2014 and once in 2015, with no problems. Do old ESTAS remain valid even though there are significant changes made to the questionnaire?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by akb8812
OK, so the new ESTA rules.
I talked about this in another thread but I'm still thinking about this.
Has anyone here travelled recently to the States on an "old" ESTA? My ESTA is from mid-2014 so it's still valid. I've been the New York on it twice, once in 2014 and once in 2015, with no problems. Do old ESTAS remain valid even though there are significant changes made to the questionnaire?
Yes. Although if the US government gets a whiff that the new questions/"enhancements" may trip someone up and mess up a trip, then it may mess up the trip by revoking the ESTA or otherwise denying travel and/or admission into or even via the US.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:09 am

Yes. Although if the US government gets a whiff that the new questions/"enhancements" may trip someone up and mess up a trip, then it may mess up the trip by revoking the ESTA or otherwise denying travel and/or admission into or even via the US.
I saw that there were some changes made in late 2014 and me personally had no issue with my Esta in 2015. Would it be worth it though to re apply just to be current and safe or would that be a waste of time and money since the current changes don't apply to me and 99 percent of the rest of Iceland?
The US embassy here has a really good social media presence so I guess I could just ask them.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

I saw that there were some changes made in late 2014 and me personally had no issue with my Esta in 2015. Would it be worth it though to re apply just to be current and safe or would that be a waste of time and money since the current changes don't apply to me and 99 percent of the rest of Iceland?
The US embassy here has a really good social media presence so I guess I could just ask them.
If the ESTA is showing up as valid still online at the DHS/CBP/ESTA site and linked to your current passport, I would suggest probably doing nothing with regard to getting a new ESTA if you're just planning to use the US Visa Waiver Program to enter the US for tourism purposes and/or limited business purposes.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:12 am

If the ESTA is showing up as valid still online at the DHS/CBP/ESTA site and linked to your current passport, I would suggest probably doing nothing with regard to getting a new ESTA if you're just planning to use the US Visa Waiver Program to enter the US for tourism purposes and/or limited business purposes.
I checked the other day and it was approved. Just going for a vacation for 1 week lol
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
It won't be a waste of time, unless and until the line for the APC kiosks and/or APC kiosk users (after the kiosk use) line is longer than the line for visitors using visas affixed in the passport.
Sorry I don't follow your logic. at Mia if you use the APC machines and get the Red Cross you are directed to the back of the regular line to see an officer in the normal way. There isn't a special line for those rejected by APC machine that need to be formally processed. Therefore if you use the APC and get rejected you end up being further back in the queue had you just gone down the normal visitor line.

Of course if IAD which is our port of entry this time operates a system such that there is a dedicated APC officer reviewing all passengers with a Red Cross then that will make the process faster. Can anyone advise.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Sorry I don't follow your logic. at Mia if you use the APC machines and get the Red Cross you are directed to the back of the regular line to see an officer in the normal way. There isn't a special line for those rejected by APC machine that need to be formally processed. Therefore if you use the APC and get rejected you end up being further back in the queue had you just gone down the normal visitor line.

Of course if IAD which is our port of entry this time operates a system such that there is a dedicated APC officer reviewing all passengers with a Red Cross then that will make the process faster. Can anyone advise.
I can't speak to MIA or even IAD in particular; but at various airports with APC kiosks combined for US citizens and previous ESTA users in the same line, people who get an APC kiosk receipt even with a BF referral code and a big X don't get pushed to a differrent line. You'll have to call it by ear when you get to the airport. At IAD, the passport control lines can be awful.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:41 pm

Would it hurt if I contacted the local embassy and asked them what the best course of action would be?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Would it hurt if I contacted the local embassy and asked them what the best course of action would be?
Drawing attention to yourself isn't what I would do -- even as most times it would be harmless unless and until there is something that otherwise renders you inadmissible or unable to use the US VWP while attempting to use the US VWP to enter the US.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:02 pm

Drawing attention to yourself isn't what I would do -- even as most times it would be harmless unless and until there is something that otherwise renders you inadmissible or unable to use the US VWP while attempting to use the US VWP to enter the US.
Isn't posting here drawing attention to myself too? lol

Maybe I should just get off the internet before I go to the States LOL You people are scaring me
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:49 am

Would transiting through Tehran without leaving the airport, getting stamped be classed as going to Iran?

I recently did this and have messaged the US embassy in Australia, they replied saying contact the border control, So I have messaged them several weeks ago and have not had a reply.

I'd like to find an answer to this soon because if I need to apply for a visa I will need to begin it ASAP.

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Ben170292
Would transiting through Tehran without leaving the airport, getting stamped be classed as going to Iran?

I recently did this and have messaged the US embassy in Australia, they replied saying contact the border control, So I have messaged them several weeks ago and have not had a reply.

I'd like to find an answer to this soon because if I need to apply for a visa I will need to begin it ASAP.

Thanks
This is from http://m.state.gov/md251577.htm

in the section describing those who are now ineligible:

Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country).

Now while I see your point that transiting the airport isn't really travelling to that country, the phrase "been present in" is harder to argue. If it were me, I'd probably get the visa, but it's a question of what level of risk you're comfortable with.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
ESTA question

Hey folks, so just a question regarding the ESTA for US. I wasn't sure where the best place was to post this question. But doing CPH-LHR-JFK in July and their is a question which asks if you are going through transit. I suppose yes, but at the same time it's BA metal from CPH to LHR. Then change of terminal to fly from T3 on AA metal. So is this considered transit for ESTA purposes?

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.