Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

If no First Class seats are open when you check in at the airport, you'll have the option to be added to the standby list, but you must be the only person listed in your reservation.
If there are multiple Preferred members in one reservation, you must ask to have your reservation separated at the airport.
If you're traveling with a non-Preferred member, you will also need to have your reservation separated at the airport; however, your companion will no longer be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? click, "Edit Wikipost," and make the changes @:-)

Prior thread can be found here:
US Automatic Upgrades (Elite)
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: US DM Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by MEABFlyer
As US Platinum this is what I saw today.

Those "American Airlines Express" flights were showing as "operated by Republic" until today.
Flying GSP-->CLT-->YYZ tuesday morning. There are multiple FC seats available on both segments, but I received the same email (too early for one, not eligible for the other) both last night AND this morning in my normal window as a Gold.

I called the Gold desk and was told that FC seats have not been released for UG for my status level (guess they are holding them for rev).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:12 am

According to other posters IT from both sides tried to integrate some stuff (upgrades maybe) and it failed.

However it sounds like upgrades on both sides will come sooner rather than later.

Who am I kidding. US flights are still going to be much cheaper.

from Jaxbill on another thread.

There was a failed integration event on the US side tonight a few hours before the sites went offline.

A lot of US preferred members received an e-mail message from US about our upgrades for future flights not being "offered" (different from "not available") and our US Express/Republic flights were mistakenly branded as "American Airlines Express" in the e-mail notification.

I called into the Preferred Desk and the rep said that IT was trying to integrate a feature that would allow automatic upgrades between frequent flier programs. She said the effort failed and incorrect upgrade notices went out. She said there were lots of calls and knew what I was talking about before I even finished my first sentence. (Check the US Automatic Upgrade Thread in the US sub-forum)

Edit - Here is a URL to show what the incorrect messages looked like:

Last edited by shaddie; Jan 25, 2014 at 7:53 am Reason: added jaxbill comments
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Well I am 6/6 for paid flights and first award ticket flight came into week window and I got upgraded on CLT-IAH flight (not on IAH-RTB as it is UA).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
It seems the problem is limited to US Express flights operated by Republic (at least). The upgrade system thinks they are code share flights and we don't get upgrades on code share flights I assume. It makes sense that upgrades are "not offered". These flights are being treated just like United Express code shares except they are mistakenly classified as American Airlines Express.

EDIT - In the past hour, my US/Republic flight for next week just went from 7 to 3 F seats available. The seat count did not change during the Plat window overnight. It seems that no one was cleared until now. Perhaps automatic upgrades are running again.

Last edited by jaxbill; Jan 25, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I got the email for a Feb 8 flight. The 3000 series flight said AA Express and the 4000 series flight said US Express.

I checked Expert Flyer and it's screwed up, showing 4 seats in each fare bucket and an unavailable seat map.

Something is amiss.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:45 pm

Has anyone had a successful automatic upgrade for a US Express flight since Saturday?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jaxbill
Has anyone had a successful automatic upgrade for a US Express flight since Saturday?
For me, successful only after calling in, and that's for 4 Express (Republic flights). System completely ignored them, even though they are now re-branded (since yesterday afternoon) as US Airways Express.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:07 am

The upgrade system worked for me this morning for a US Express flight. I wasn't upgraded but I got the e-mail at the right time and it correctly said "Upgrades not available yet" but they would keep trying.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I got an upgrade for the PHL-BUF Republic flight tonight at the proper window for Silver. FWIW
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I got an upgrade for the PHL-BUF Republic flight tonight at the proper window for Silver. FWIW
And it was taken away at the gate last night. I was told "F was oversold", not that I think that is true since F showed 1 seat available at T-4. I didn't persist inquiring since it was a 1 hour flight.

Perhaps it was due to upgrade glitches mentioned in this thread? What other reasons could this have occurred?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
And it was taken away at the gate last night. I was told "F was oversold", .........Perhaps it was due to upgrade glitches mentioned in this thread? What other reasons could this have occurred?
Perhaps due to glitch; also, FAM is the first thought that comes to mind when such things happen and an untrue reason given (since US does not oversell F as a rule).

Did you have a seat assignment when your upgrade cleared at window?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: free agent
Data point: Haven't received a ^ or email for flight coming up LAS-PHL on Thursday (and this one's usually an easy UG). Last week for a different flight (as others have said) I got 3 identical emails saying upgrade not available yet. So, IT are messing about with something. Got the email offering a fresh meal for purchase OK though
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:11 am

My Republic upgrade finally cleared for Wed. I did get a seat assignment and will report back if I get bumped. I hope/suspect the other bump was due to FAM and not an IT problem.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by kudzu
Perhaps due to glitch; also, FAM is the first thought that comes to mind when such things happen and an untrue reason given (since US does not oversell F as a rule).

Did you have a seat assignment when your upgrade cleared at window?
I had a seat assignment and even printed a boarding pass at OLCI at T-8 hours. Time for an email to US, maybe a few free miles are in it for me.

I was the only elite that boarded after F (save for one person that boarded at the EXP/CP call who I suspect was EXP since he was in the back with me).
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jaxbill
I was upgraded on Sunday, but the upgrade processed prior to Saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.