Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I just booked some one-way awards SEA-JFK-LHR on AA and AS, on an AA flight. Net cost in cash: $5, two TSA $2.50 charges.

(APD only happens on departure from LHR, not on inbound. BA YQ is folded into fares and only shows up on awards.)
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The APD is determined by the distance you are flying out of the UK, as well as the cabin class. However, if you are only connecting through the U.K. (and the connection is under 24hrs) you are not levied the tax. Those who are in F or J flying LHR-U.S. get hit pretty hard. In addition to the other taxes on a ticket. It's why some people will take the train over to BRU/AMS/CDG and fly back from there. Although, CDG has a tax flying out on J and F as well, but not as much. And the ubiquitous LCC flights out of London to the Continent help as well. Price a one way award ticket from MAD or BCN to the U.S. versus from LHR, and you will see a HUGE difference in taxes.

As for this slot redemption, BA can give up a slot pair of any choosing. It doesn't have to be from a U.S.-LHR flight pair. But I doubt that anyone wants to commit 4 years on a PHL-LHR run (most likely at a loss) when it might just be cheaper to buy a slot pair from another carrier and fly to LHR from a more desired airport from the get-go. I guess the EU Commission just wants to give off the appearance of showing a little bit of concern.
All great info, thanks!

Until the well is dry, I'm going to keep booking BOS-DUB on EI using Avios - they tend to have tons of award space available, even in J, and from BOS it's only 25k Avios each way. With the last Amex transfer bonus, I booked two seats in J for 38k MR (haven't booked the return yet, was hoping for some AZ FCO-BOS space). It's just so much easier to get places directly from LHR than DUB. But now I'm off-topic.

Does the US to LHR slot have to be agreed upon by anyone, or is it any slot of US/AA's choosing? Any incentive to not give up a middle of the day slot or something undesirable?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is seemingly a fine distinction, but an important one. Keep in mind that LHR is going to soon serve the role for the combined airline that FRA does now for US: hub for a lot of Europe/Africa/India destinations the airlines doesn't serve directly. AA isn't going to be dropping all of their own service from a major hub to LHR, nor is BA going to drop half of their service. The EU wants competition on the route, not outright surrender from AA. My bet is AA drops a slot pair from somewhere else in the network. This would allow them to fulfill the EU's request and keep capacity stable, which they likely need to do given that US won't be flowing traffic into *A and will into OW fairly shortly.
The slots that AA/BA made available to competitors for BOS and MIA when the immunized joint venture was approved were provided by BA. One of those slot pairs is currently held by US - the MIA pair - as DL gave up on MIA and returned the slots. US applied for permission to fly MIA-CLT-LHR (with change of plane at CLT) and was awarded the slot.

My guess is that BA will provide a well-timed slot pair from its inventory of slots; MAH4546 suggested one of its BRU slots.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
As for this slot redemption, BA can give up a slot pair of any choosing. It doesn't have to be from a U.S.-LHR flight pair. But I doubt that anyone wants to commit 4 years on a PHL-LHR run (most likely at a loss) when it might just be cheaper to buy a slot pair from another carrier and fly to LHR from a more desired airport from the get-go. I guess the EU Commission just wants to give off the appearance of showing a little bit of concern.
I agree completely. Slots are available in the open market and I don't see anyone trying to go head to head at PHL with new AA.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Does the US to LHR slot have to be agreed upon by anyone, or is it any slot of US/AA's choosing? Any incentive to not give up a middle of the day slot or something undesirable?
Quite obviously, new AA agreed to provide an appropriately-timed slots that would make PHL-LHR viable (at least from a scheduling perspective).

New AA and BA will NOT be reducing flights from PHL to LHR. If anything, new AA and BA will collectively increase flights from PHL to LHR. All they offered the EU was that they would make a slot pair available to a competitor to use for PHL-LHR.

A Philly newspaper reporter interpreted that to mean that AA/BA would "give up" one daily flight PHL-LHR, and that's simply fabricated.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nevansm
Saw a memo sitting on the check in desk at the DCA club today stating that starting 9/1 AC members and US Club members will have reciprocal access. Memo had US and New American logos at the top and dated 8/1.
9/1 - oh boy...hold on to our hats!

I was flying PHX-DCA today and from my seat was able to listen to all but one of the FAs chatting about upcoming raises, new uniforms (something about teal), worries about seniority (blending crews) and base locations (reassignments for some). It was quite interesting, really.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
I heard a similar story from the Chairman's Desk, that status will be reciprocal sometime in September, so my October BA flight I'll have access to the good London club room!

One good thing about the merger - fewer connections in dreaded Frankfurt!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by rltycheck
I heard a similar story from the Chairman's Desk, that status will be reciprocal sometime in September, so my October BA flight I'll have access to the good London club room!

...and LHR is a cakewalk?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
So I have a question, which I am hoping will be answered even speculatively....

What about scheduled flights I have on Star partners through the end of the year... will those still be credited to my US Airways account? I am in desperate need of those miles for my status this year.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree completely. Slots are available in the open market and I don't see anyone trying to go head to head at PHL with new AA.
Well, DL already flies longhaul out of PHL (CDG). I could see them experimenting like they did in MIA (and it might not work out, like it did in MIA). DL is pretty willing to try things and bail if it doesn't work (more so than AA or UA).

Originally Posted by miffSC

What about scheduled flights I have on Star partners through the end of the year... will those still be credited to my US Airways account? I am in desperate need of those miles for my status this year.
No effin' clue. Welcome to merger uncertainty (it's not like this hasn't been a secret for the past few months). My guess is if you're desperate, be prepared to take it in the shorts and switch from *A to OW if earning after 11/1 goes up in smoke.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by miffSC

When VS ended their earning partnership with US, tickets booked before the announcement was made but after the travel date were indeed honored for mileage accrual, however in most cases (or at least from my own experience) it was not automatic. You had to put in a missing miles request. I'd screenshot the earnings chart as it stands today, so that the ticket purchase date can be compared to the T&C in place, just in case you get any pushback on collecting those miles.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
.................I agree completely. Slots are available in the open market and I don't see anyone trying to go head to head at PHL with new AA..........
Don't forget, the EU agreement is not only to provide a slot pair, but to also provide a competitive FEED to the flight. This surely reduces the risk of failure for a new entry - as long as AA interprets this as a "requirement" to provide sufficient Feed at both PHL and LHR to support a successful flight - based on Loads. The FEED requirement would seem to favor a One World entrant, however I could see someone like Virgin Atlantic, using their loose relationship with VX, starting this route, or as I mentioned in an earlier post, QA might combine it with their announced non-stop, or add another flight.

Last edited by perseus11; Aug 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat

No effin' clue. Welcome to merger uncertainty (it's not like this hasn't been a secret for the past few months). My guess is if you're desperate, be prepared to take it in the shorts and switch from *A to OW if earning after 11/1 goes up in smoke.
I just hate the uncertainty of just what to do!

Originally Posted by dcpatti
When VS ended their earning partnership with US, tickets booked before the announcement was made but after the travel date were indeed honored for mileage accrual, however in most cases (or at least from my own experience) it was not automatic. You had to put in a missing miles request. I'd screenshot the earnings chart as it stands today, so that the ticket purchase date can be compared to the T&C in place, just in case you get any pushback on collecting those miles.
Thanks. I'll do that. I have a couple of flights booked on UA and I definitely need the miles towards status.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
...and LHR is a cakewalk?
AGREED! LHR is one of the most complicated airports to make connections. The signage is sometimes confusing, even HAL employees don't know directions, security lines are terrible between terminals, the fun bus rides (mixing all travel classes) negating the Fast Track, etc. I hope the USdbaAA will create new schedules in their slot loss (maybe a trade deal?).
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:26 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by relangford
AGREED! LHR is one of the most complicated airports to make connections. The signage is sometimes confusing, even HAL employees don't know directions, security lines are terrible between terminals, the fun bus rides (mixing all travel classes) negating the Fast Track, etc. I hope the USdbaAA will create new schedules in their slot loss (maybe a trade deal?).
AA holds coveted prime slot times at LHR. I doubt the current or new AA try to deal for different sAA times. They may seek to work with other oneworld partners to get better timed sUS slots at LHR.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rltycheck

I find that very hard to believe. For status to be reciprocal, each flier must have an AA and US FF account. Then they have to be linked, with weekly "sweeps" to be done to update them. I would be surprised if that happened anytime before 2014. They will first focus on putting each others code on their flights. So that every AA flight will have a US code on it, and vice versa. Which will make a AA flight the same as a US flight, and therefore earning full EQM and elite level bonus credit. And I would guess that reciprocating benefits on both carriers will happen when both FF programs mirror each other, anyway. How do you upgrade a US elite on a AA flight when they won't have any e500s?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere -- I searched the thread but didn't find anything much -- but any idea if we'll be able to credit Alaska flights to US DM at any point before the US name/FF program cease to exist (or even the status of Alaska's partnership with AA longterm given the merger)?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere -- I searched the thread but didn't find anything much -- but any idea if we'll be able to credit Alaska flights to US DM at any point before the US name/FF program cease to exist (or even the status of Alaska's partnership with AA longterm given the merger)?
I doubt that AS will partner with US before the merger. As for AS continuing to be an AA partner post-merger, I have yet to hear anything to the contrary. It works for AA. It works for AS. And I doubt that the DOJ/DOT would have any objections since DL partners with AS as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.