Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 7:10 am

My bigger bet is that your browser is prefilling.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ellinj
Somehow I doubt they would even have the technical prowess to make that happen, unless a third party which has already been doing this is involved.
Heh, yeah, that's probably integration with BlueKai or one of the other interest-based aggregators.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: Legend in my own mind
Originally Posted by akelkar
Honestly I just want them to release more information about their FF programs as fast as possible so I can make travel plans
That and ... can I connect via US CLT hub > MIA > AA Caribbean destinations!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:55 am

Elite States PostMerger

I'm not entirely sure if this has been asked before, but I'm new here....

if you have chairman's status on US Airways, what will happen after the merger?

Additionally, how do you currently use US Airways Dividend Miles on AA?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by srwal
I'm not entirely sure if this has been asked before, but I'm new here....

if you have chairman's status on US Airways, what will happen after the merger?
The merger thread is getting really large, but this has been covered there.
The simple answer is we don't know 100% for sure yet, but there is an assumption that US Chairman will be mapped to AA Executive Platinum. The lower tiers are a little less certain, as US below CP has 25, 50 and 75,000 levels, while AA's below Exec Plat are 25 and 50.

Originally Posted by srwal
Additionally, how do you currently use US Airways Dividend Miles on AA?
You don't, yet. Expect that after the merger completes, sometime this fall. The Halloween timeframe has been bantered about, roughly concurrent with the exit of US from Star Alliance to join OneWorld, but dates aren't announced and are dependent in part on merger regulatory approvals.

Last edited by aztimm; Aug 5, 2013 at 11:35 am Reason: merged thread cleanup
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by phlwookie
The merger thread is getting really large, but this has been covered here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...on-thread.html
Ha!

You just put a link to this exact same thread! Maybe the mods can subcategorize this thread into threads dealing with the FF programs and cross-earning/redemption; the global alliances; fleet equipment; terminal consolodation; airline lounges; etc.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Anybody know about when/if/how (especially regarding the purhasing of the Chairman's club for either 3K or 4K depending on how little you have flown US Air), American will match the status and for how long?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rodsren
Anybody know about when/if/how (especially regarding the purhasing of the Chairman's club for either 3K or 4K depending on how little you have flown US Air), American will match the status and for how long?
There's a whole thread on this subject.... and this isnt the one. Its a sticky on top of the forum. Take a look.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:52 am

Looks like the merger has conditional EU approval - divestiture of one PHL-LHR slot and some other things.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Looks like the merger has conditional EU approval - divestiture of one PHL-LHR slot and some other things.
No, it's divestiture of one LHR slot pair, to be used for a competitor to serve PHL-LHR.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740L620130805

"The decision is conditional upon the release of one daily slot pair at London Heathrow and of other commitments in order to induce entry on the London-Philadelphia route."

This is seemingly a fine distinction, but an important one. Keep in mind that LHR is going to soon serve the role for the combined airline that FRA does now for US: hub for a lot of Europe/Africa/India destinations the airlines doesn't serve directly. AA isn't going to be dropping all of their own service from a major hub to LHR, nor is BA going to drop half of their service. The EU wants competition on the route, not outright surrender from AA. My bet is AA drops a slot pair from somewhere else in the network. This would allow them to fulfill the EU's request and keep capacity stable, which they likely need to do given that US won't be flowing traffic into *A and will into OW fairly shortly.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, it's divestiture of one LHR slot pair, to be used for a competitor to serve PHL-LHR.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9740L620130805

"The decision is conditional upon the release of one daily slot pair at London Heathrow and of other commitments in order to induce entry on the London-Philadelphia route."

This is seemingly a fine distinction, but an important one. Keep in mind that LHR is going to soon serve the role for the combined airline that FRA does now for US: hub for a lot of Europe/Africa/India destinations the airlines doesn't serve directly. AA isn't going to be dropping all of their own service from a major hub to LHR, nor is BA going to drop half of their service. The EU wants competition on the route, not outright surrender from AA. My bet is AA drops a slot pair from somewhere else in the network. This would allow them to fulfill the EU's request and keep capacity stable, which they likely need to do given that US won't be flowing traffic into *A and will into OW fairly shortly.
Good point, my mistake. I agree with your analysis. Do you happen to know the rules for how/when the heavy taxes at LHR kick in? Do all landing flights get crushed, or is it just for O&D traffic? All I know about LHR is YQ hell on BA metal.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point, my mistake. I agree with your analysis. Do you happen to know the rules for how/when the heavy taxes at LHR kick in? Do all landing flights get crushed, or is it just for O&D traffic? All I know about LHR is YQ hell on BA metal.
I just booked some one-way awards SEA-JFK-LHR on AA and AS, on an AA flight. Net cost in cash: $5, two TSA $2.50 charges.

(APD only happens on departure from LHR, not on inbound. BA YQ is folded into fares and only shows up on awards.)
Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
The APD is determined by the distance you are flying out of the UK, as well as the cabin class. However, if you are only connecting through the U.K. (and the connection is under 24hrs) you are not levied the tax. Those who are in F or J flying LHR-U.S. get hit pretty hard. In addition to the other taxes on a ticket. It's why some people will take the train over to BRU/AMS/CDG and fly back from there. Although, CDG has a tax flying out on J and F as well, but not as much. And the ubiquitous LCC flights out of London to the Continent help as well. Price a one way award ticket from MAD or BCN to the U.S. versus from LHR, and you will see a HUGE difference in taxes.

As for this slot redemption, BA can give up a slot pair of any choosing. It doesn't have to be from a U.S.-LHR flight pair. But I doubt that anyone wants to commit 4 years on a PHL-LHR run (most likely at a loss) when it might just be cheaper to buy a slot pair from another carrier and fly to LHR from a more desired airport from the get-go. I guess the EU Commission just wants to give off the appearance of showing a little bit of concern.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
As for this slot redemption, BA can give up a slot pair of any choosing. It doesn't have to be from a U.S.-LHR flight pair. But I doubt that anyone wants to commit 4 years on a PHL-LHR run (most likely at a loss) when it might just be cheaper to buy a slot pair from another carrier and fly to LHR from a more desired airport from the get-go. I guess the EU Commission just wants to give off the appearance of showing a little bit of concern.
Delta flies PHL-CDG, I could see them or VS thinking that it would be a chance to see if AA+US backfires as badly as UA+CO (DL likes to play route dartboard sometimes). But those are probably the only airlines I'd see being remotely interested.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Saw a memo sitting on the check in desk at the DCA club today stating that starting 9/1 AC members and US Club members will have reciprocal access. Memo had US and New American logos at the top and dated 8/1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.