Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: US Airways Chmn,SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,Club Carlson Gold,Hyatt Plat,Avis FP,IHG Plat,Marriott Plat
This is good news to me, I have been US CP for too many years and AA gold, I have always been upgraded on all my US Airways flights . Though I think the merger will eventually still go through .
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by richarddd
What are the odds US pursues OneWorld and codesharing without a merger.

A large strategic investment would likely get blocked.
Odds of US jumping from *A to OW while this lawsuit is in the court system is between slim and none...and slim just left town!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
No surprise, the states joining all contain a US or AA hub - except, what's up with TN?
The DCA-BNA route issue? It's one of the handful of overlap routes out there.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
And so dies my hope of being CP and EXP in the same year........
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:43 am

Does anybody have any idea of what this actually means? No merger? Giving up many spots at DCA and delaying merger? At a minimum how long will this delay the merger? A month? Six months?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lizs
Does anybody have any idea of what this actually means? No merger? Giving up many spots at DCA and delaying merger? At a minimum how long will this delay the merger? A month? Six months?
Looks like game over unless US/AA were to prevail in court, and that's very unlikely. The DoJ made clear that they aren't interested in concessions - they want to block the merger.

I hope someone has taken the CEO's keys away.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by saranyc
Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- American Airlines’ merger with US
Airways Group Inc. should be blocked, the U.S. Justice
Department will say in a lawsuit to be filed today, according to
a person familiar with the matter.
"Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Clause..."

^^^

OK, I'm not really going to get my hopes up, but I really, really want this to be true!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ellinj
The part I couldn't really understand was the Advantage fares. First of all I never head of advantage fares, and it made it sound like these fares were preventing a price war, but yet they are supposed to be cheaper than the competitors nonstop options.
^ this. Surely the article wasn't suggesting AA was thinking of axing MileSAAver? That's the only thing I can think of...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
OK, I'm not really going to get my hopes up, but I really, really want this to be true!
Mee, tooooo!!!!!!!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
^ this. Surely the article wasn't suggesting AA was thinking of axing MileSAAver? That's the only thing I can think of...
No, the Advantage fare program (one A in Advantage) is a US Airways policy of cutting fares on connecting markets where the others fly nonstop. The others have tended to match the low fares set by US on their nonstops that compete with the US connecting routes.

The DoJ is concerned that this low-fare program of US would end with the merger.

It has nothing to do with the American Airlines AAdvantag frequent flyer program. No doubt some poorly educated journalists will confuse the two today in their hastily-written copy. Poorly educated, sloppy editors won't catch the mistakes.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:28 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Gotta love the USAToday/Justice Dep't example of:

For a trip from Miami to Cincinnati on Aug. 13 and returning Aug. 14, the US Airways Advantage Fare was $471 for one stop compared with $740 on a non-stop American flight, according to the Justice Department.

Really, a non-stop is 50% more than a 1-stop? Why is this news or consideration? It's that way in many markets, not because of mergers, but because (some, non FTers, bviously) will pay more for less time in the air.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
MileSAAver is an American Airlines product, so no. They're referring to US Airways Advantage Fares, a strategy to compete with other legacy nonstop routes by providing a cheaper 1 stop routing on US. For example:

For a trip from Miami to Cincinnati on Aug. 13 and returning Aug. 14, the US Airways Advantage Fare was $471 for one stop compared to $740 on a non-stop American flight, according to the Justice Department.
http://www.wbir.com/news/article/284...irways-merger-
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:52 am

This would be why I was under that impression...

"An example is American's Advantage Fares discount program, which American executives said would likely be eliminated after the merger, according to the Justice Department."

from http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/13/us/air...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, the Advantage fare program (one A in Advantage) is a US Airways policy of cutting fares on connecting markets where the others fly nonstop. The others have tended to match the low fares set by US on their nonstops that compete with the US connecting routes.

The DoJ is concerned that this low-fare program of US would end with the merger.

It has nothing to do with the American Airlines AAdvantag frequent flyer program. No doubt some poorly educated journalists will confuse the two today in their hastily-written copy. Poorly educated, sloppy editors won't catch the mistakes.
Means little to us in CLT. US prices its n/s so much higher than everyone else especially West of the Mississippi, and the other legacies connecting pricing does nothing to mitigage that US pricing (i.e. US does not adjust its n/s accordingly).
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
This is all about DCA. Oh, Washington....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.