Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I find that very hard to believe. For status to be reciprocal, each flier must have an AA and US FF account. Then they have to be linked, with weekly "sweeps" to be done to update them. I would be surprised if that happened anytime before 2014. They will first focus on putting each others code on their flights. So that every AA flight will have a US code on it, and vice versa. Which will make a AA flight the same as a US flight, and therefore earning full EQM and elite level bonus credit. And I would guess that reciprocating benefits on both carriers will happen when both FF programs mirror each other, anyway. How do you upgrade a US elite on a AA flight when they won't have any e500s?
I tend to agree with you - you've identified technical, process and program issues that need to be figured out and September is around the corner.

The IT side is easy, it wouldn't be hard to feed that info both ways. The rest is where it'd get hairy. The programs aren't THAT different, but different enough to make it a challenge.

What I could see is reciprocal mileage earning that quickly.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:19 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fanjet
How do you upgrade a US elite on a AA flight when they won't have any e500s?
Upgrade the CP's (EXP equivalent, no "stickers" required). Leave the rest in the back. More for me.

In all seriousness, they could just match the two statuses via some sort of sync and credit e500's for flights credited to AA. it's not perfect, but since both accounts would have status it'd be a decent interim band aid.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Upgrade the CP's (EXP equivalent, no "stickers" required). Leave the rest in the back. More for me.

In all seriousness, they could just match the two statuses via some sort of sync and credit e500's for flights credited to AA. it's not perfect, but since both accounts would have status it'd be a decent interim band aid.
If the rumor is true, it could also tip toward the combined program offering CPUs at every level and doing away with the stickers. I'm on the record around here as thinking that's unlikely due to revenue issues, but it could be.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: AA ExePlat
Rampant speculation that USdbaAA will fly MIA-Africa along with other hopes and desires for new international service http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1491406-us-mia-could-african-gateway.html
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The IT side is easy, it wouldn't be hard to feed that info both ways.
Apparently easier said than done although it might be easier transferring from the Shares to the Sabre side. In both the HP/US and UA/CO mergers one side used Shares (HP and CO) while the other used a bigger system. And in both cases Shares was the surviving system and both mergers had major problems merging the two systems. Hopefully "new" AA will stick with Sabre which traces it lineage to the industries original computerized res system back in the 1960's - started by AA.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Apparently easier said than done although it might be easier transferring from the Shares to the Sabre side. In both the HP/US and UA/CO mergers one side used Shares (HP and CO) while the other used a bigger system. And in both cases Shares was the surviving system and both mergers had major problems merging the two systems. Hopefully "new" AA will stick with Sabre which traces it lineage to the industries original computerized res system back in the 1960's - started by AA.
They have already announced that they are sticking with Sabre.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Well, I should re-state, it's relatively not difficult from a technical perspective as long as the process and program decisions are made. If you really wanted to do it, you could solicit US FF# from the AA side, match those against US and feed back preferred level and mileage (BIS, RDM, etc), then flag in the AA system as a specific AAdvantage tier - essentially grant matched status - then adjust the e500's/SWUs as necessary. All of this is relatively platform-agnostic as long as you have the ability to get data in and out.

It's not to say someone couldn't screw it up.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I hope I have the right thread for my question.
What would you do-
I need to get to San Jose (SJC) in Mid October from BOS. I think US is out of the transcon business because their flights are almost 2X the competition (~$630 vs. ~$360 when checking to SFO). So unless I work around my company's booking system which would flag such a large variance, I have to book another airline.
Any other year I would have booked UA direct to SFO. Any guesses if US will still be in the *A mid October? I desperately need the miles.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:18 pm

I'm with you - I'm trying to book Christmas travel, and US out/UA return works out to be a few hundred bucks cheaper. I'd love to know whether if I booked now, that mileage could still be credited back to US in Dec.

Does anyone remember CO? If someone booked before CO withdrew from ST, but flew after they withdrew and had their DL FF# in there, did they still credit to DL? Just looking for history here, not that it's going to be reliable.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This is really simple: if you don't like uncertainty, pay the premium to fly US.

If you need to save a buck, you pays your money and you takes your chances. What dcpatti says is probably the best approach, but there aren't any guarantees. You're the only person who can decide if saving a couple hundred is worth losing an elite tier (and possibly not having any way to buy-up status, worst case scenario... though I suspect that DM + buy-ups could be around for 2014. I think DM isn't going to get wound down before January; it might even stumble into 2015).

Like it or not, making it easy for FTers to minimize the cost per mile on their year-end runs for elite status is pretty low on the list of "things AA/US employees are taking into account when it comes to timing of merger announcements", and they are the only people who can remove the FUD, not the uninformed chattering classes and armchair airline CEOs like me on FT.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The IT side is easy, it wouldn't be hard to feed that info both ways. The rest is where it'd get hairy. The programs aren't THAT different, but different enough to make it a challenge. ...
At it's most basic, posts upthread (if correct) indicate that it is planned that US will be flying as a *O carrier from Nov 1.

This would be as a standalone carrier with USxxx flight numbers until the merger is finalized sometime 2014/2015.

This staged approach would very much operate on a KISS principle.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
This is really simple: if you don't like uncertainty, pay the premium to fly US.

If you need to save a buck, you pays your money and you takes your chances. What dcpatti says is probably the best approach, but there aren't any guarantees. You're the only person who can decide if saving a couple hundred is worth losing an elite tier (and possibly not having any way to buy-up status, worst case scenario... though I suspect that DM + buy-ups could be around for 2014. I think DM isn't going to get wound down before January; it might even stumble into 2015).

Like it or not, making it easy for FTers to minimize the cost per mile on their year-end runs for elite status is pretty low on the list of "things AA/US employees are taking into account when it comes to timing of merger announcements", and they are the only people who can remove the FUD, not the uninformed chattering classes and armchair airline CEOs like me on FT.
Yes, but this is a speculation thread. It's where we pull things out of our asses and assert them as truth. Since you're an armchair CEO, are my damn United flights in December gonna credit to US or not?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but this is a speculation thread. It's where we pull things out of our asses and assert them as truth. Since you're an armchair CEO, are my damn United flights in December gonna credit to US or not?
I would assume that December flights won't work if US is going to be in Oneworld by November 1.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:24 am

Well, I should re-state, it's relatively not difficult from a technical perspective as long as the process and program decisions are made. If you really wanted to do it, you could solicit US FF# from the AA side, match those against US and feed back preferred level and mileage (BIS, RDM, etc), then flag in the AA system as a specific AAdvantage tier - essentially grant matched status - then adjust the e500's/SWUs as necessary. All of this is relatively platform-agnostic as long as you have the ability to get data in and out.

It's not to say someone couldn't screw it up.
I can't imagine any IT department of any Fortune 500 "screwing up" such a simple task. You take a duplicate sample of a representative database from each company, export the data to a dummy "new" database and see if it works with the export/import algorithm. Not rocket science. You don't use the algorithm until it has been thoroughly tested. I'd be surprised if the algorithm doesn't already exist. Someone has to be working on this!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Jasper2
I can't imagine any IT department of any Fortune 500 "screwing up" such a simple task. !
Trust me. Fortune 500 != solid IT departments. I support currently 8 or 10 customers and I believe they are all on the Fortune 500. These are all household names and I would be willing to wager that every person on this board does business with some combination of 2 or more of them. One is 5 versions back on our software and can't upgrade because they're out of budget and an upgrade would require Windows 2003 which that can't afford (yes, 2003). One didn't back up their data or application database for about 14 weeks, and only noticed that the backups failed when the database itself failed. This was in April and they'd still tryimg to recover data. One customer's admin team accidentally upgraded an application server when they were trying to install the admin tools to an admin user workstation.

Being in the Fortune 500 doesn't make you immune to having poor IT shops. Seriously sometimes I wonder how some of these companies even stay open, just judging from their IT dramas.

(Most of my customers are actually smart, hard-working and capable, but the duds are real duds.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.