Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by blueheronNC
Does MoveUp allow you to move to an earlier connecting flight even if you take the same originating flight? Right now I'm scheduled for a five (!) - hour layover in CLT, and as appealing as the US Airways Club screw-top wine sounds, there are two earlier connecting flights to my destination. And if MoveUp does allow for this, will the agent at my origin city be able to apply MoveUp right then and there, or will I have to wait until CLT and find a ticket agent there?
The rule is same start and end point, same number of connections. I'm not sure if you have to connect through the same airport, though it sounds like you're doing that anyway at CLT.

Try at the airport on your outbound. I believe it's allowed, but if one agent says no, try for another if it's a big airport. Worst case, try again at CLT with the agent in the club. Worst worst case, call the Preferred desk from the club at CLT, but I believe they can't do anything because the flight has been released to the airport and MoveUp has to be done at the airport.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The rule is same start and end point, same number of connections. I'm not sure if you have to connect through the same airport, though it sounds like you're doing that anyway at CLT.

Try at the airport on your outbound. I believe it's allowed, but if one agent says no, try for another if it's a big airport. Worst case, try again at CLT with the agent in the club. Worst worst case, call the Preferred desk from the club at CLT, but I believe they can't do anything because the flight has been released to the airport and MoveUp has to be done at the airport.
I have done it at the second airport but it does not hurt to also ask at the first.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Don't be afraid to ask at the Special Services desk - i was given this hint by the gate agent who couldn't process my request. I had already tried the club who sent me to the GA.

Bottom line, as silly as it is, there are a variety of different folks who you can ask for assistance and they all can provide help at different times.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle
Anyone had luck moving up a party of two (same PNR) at the kiosk with one preferred, and a non-preferred? I seldom fly with another person, so I've not tried this scenario at the kiosk.
To answer my own question, the kiosk did not offer Move Up with two people in the same reservation. I went to the F line and the agent there took care of us, although it took a few minutes as she had to adjust the reservation manually instead of the normal Move Up entry.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Catching an earlier flight

Hi All, I have a cheap Y one way from PHL-LAS coming up. Have never flown US Airways. I may finish my meetings in PHL earlier, what is the US Airways policy if I roll up to the airport early in the hope of getting on an earlier flight?
Would be good to know as I won't waste my time if they don't allow.

Thanks,
Irubi
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Irubi
Hi All, I have a cheap Y one way from PHL-LAS coming up. Have never flown US Airways. I may finish my meetings in PHL earlier, what is the US Airways policy if I roll up to the airport early in the hope of getting on an earlier flight?
Would be good to know as I won't waste my time if they don't allow.

Thanks,
Irubi
Why don't you call US and ask?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Why don't you call US and ask?
Am not in the US, local office is closed.

Also, hoping to glean the knowledge of this forum as there is often a par between official policy and reality.
I have switched flights easily before on AA, despite ticket conditions, for example.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
From the website:

We allow you to move up to an earlier flight on the day of departure. You must be at the airport to MoveUp. The MoveUp fee is $75 for flights within the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada. It's $150 to move up on flights to/from Europe, Israel and/or South America.

You can MoveUp for $75/$150 if the flight is:

Within 6 hours of your original scheduled departure
On the same day with the same number of stops

We waive the MoveUp fee for Dividend Miles Preferred members. However, the same rules apply: the flight must be within 6 hours of your original scheduled departure, and on the same day with the same number of stops.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: None
There are two options depending on whether seats are available - the MoveUp program if there are open seats and stand-by if there aren't available seats (no fee for stand-by). For stand-by just go to the departure gate of the earlier flight and ask to be put on the stand-by list. You're hoping that no-shows or misconnects will result in a seat being available for you.

Jim
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
There are two options depending on whether seats are available - the MoveUp program if there are open seats and stand-by if there aren't available seats (no fee for stand-by). For stand-by just go to the departure gate of the earlier flight and ask to be put on the stand-by list. You're hoping that no-shows or misconnects will result in a seat being available for you.

Jim
Many thanks for that clarification and to the Mod for moving the thread. As is it is only 2 hrs earlier and I will doubtless end up in a middle seat, I think I will just stay put.

Irubi
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
I'm looking at flights coming back from DUB to DCA, and the DUB-(PHL)-BOS/BOS-DCA is over $100 cheaper than the DUB-PHL/PHL-DCA. Is it at all possibly to move to the PHL-DCA flight when I'm in the middle of a direct flight? I would technically not be changing the number of segments as DUB-BOS is booked as a direct flight (US723) and I will have any checked bags as I have to pick them up for customs. I would be attempting this at the service desk before rechecking my bags.

Don't get me started on how DUB-BOS is considered a direct flight when DUB-PHL is on a 767 and PHL-BOS is on a E190. How do the even assign seats? The seat map doesn't come up which is understandable.

Last edited by branston; Apr 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by branston
I'm looking at flights coming back from DUB to DCA, and the DUB-(PHL)-BOS/BOS-DCA is over $100 cheaper than the DUB-PHL/PHL-DCA. Is it at all possibly to move to the PHL-DCA flight when I'm in the middle of a direct flight? I would technically not be changing the number of segments as DUB-BOS is booked as a direct flight (US723) and I will have any checked bags as I have to pick them up for customs. I would be attempting this at the service desk before rechecking my bags.

Don't get me started on how DUB-BOS is considered a direct flight when DUB-PHL is on a 767 and PHL-BOS is on a E190. How do the even assign seats? The seat map doesn't come up which is understandable.
I would recommend trying in DUB, before you check in. It's an odd scenario, requiring rebooking and re-ticketing in a manner that doesn't fit the usual "Move up" situation. I'm sure it 'can' be done, but you'll have to find the right person who knows how to do it. Better to do it before you leave DUB, as it would be simpler than en-route.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Move up Possible???

So right now I have a return flight booked. IAH-CLT-PHL 5:30pm departure.

I called and tried to get on the direct flight IAH-PHL at 6:15am.

Ive looked it up on KVS and their are still plenty of seats available. When I called US, they quoted me a fee $345.

Now im wondering if I just showup at 545 AM you think i got a shot of them letting me get on the plane since its half empty? It just sucks becasue if I get there and im wrong, im sitting at the airport until 2 when there is another direct flight.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Negative Tom. US changed its move up policy last year.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I may be wrong, but from what I understand, they no longer allow you to "move up" from a flight with a connection to a non-stop flight.

I used to do this all the time when the rates for PHL-BOS were outrageous, by booking a flight PHL-LGA/DCA-BOS and then "moving up" to a direct flight.

It doesn't really make sense if there are seats available since you would be freeing up a seat for sale on two flights, and taking up an unsold seat on one flight, but I think you are probably out of luck.

You could probably move up though to another flight with a connection though, but it would have to be within 6 hours of your original flight time.

Also, just keep in mind that the counter at IAH in the early morning can be somewhat of a zoo, with flights to PHL, CLT and PHX all leaving pretty close to one another.

Last edited by hginPHL; May 1, 2013 at 8:15 pm Reason: correction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.