Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle
You are correct, the fee is not waived for *A Gold members. The system automatically prompts for the agent to charge the fee, so chance of you getting around it are slim.
Thanks!

I assume if there was a delay on my flight they'd be more likely to let me move to an earlier flight without the fee?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: None
Then you're getting into irreg ops and everything changes, so yes.

Jim
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Does anyone know if u r booked on a usair flight if you can do move up for a code share operated by aa?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by william142
Does anyone know if u r booked on a usair flight if you can do move up for a code share operated by aa?
Maybe my question, too. I am looking at a trip on US metal where booking via aa.com would save a few bucks. But I am having a heck of a time parsing all the stuff on the new web sites about Move Up, and am worried that even though I will be US elite on US equipment, that they might not be able to move a ticket sold by AA.

Anyone tried this yet?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
I booked a NS flight departing at 6:30 PM. The next earliest NS leaves 12:15 PM. Is the only way to get on the 12:15 to pay the $150 change fee?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by dshack89
I booked a NS flight departing at 6:30 PM. The next earliest NS leaves 12:15 PM. Is the only way to get on the 12:15 to pay the $150 change fee?
Outside of a weather event the day-of that activates a change-fee waiver, they're very strict about the 6hr rule FME.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Is it true that for MoveUp, the original fare class must be available on the new flights? ...
Originally Posted by kudzu
That's news to me. If not a very recent change (and US is known for weak communication of policy changes), I'd say the agent was wrong.
UPDATE: Apparently, there's been a change in policy. I went to the airport earlier this morning to MoveUp from a 6pm to an earlier 1:45pm flight on an award Economy ticket. Airport agent was willing, but computer wouldn't allow. She called a support number, and was informed my "class of service" was not available - you and I think "class of service" means First or Economy, but they really mean fare class (there was at least one Economy seat available on the earlier flight).

Also, potential upgrade on a domestic award tix is a benefit of Special Dividends at the 85k level, but the Yes/No upgrade email never arrived for this award tix, and upgrade never cleared. Only a short flight, so I didn't care enough to pursue the matter ... but it seems the system is glitchy these days.

I can also confirm they're strict about the 6-hour rule - an even earlier flight was 6 + hours (over by a few minutes), and the computer wouldn't allow.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
UPDATE: Apparently, there's been a change in policy. I went to the airport earlier this morning to MoveUp from a 6pm to an earlier 1:45pm flight on an award Economy ticket. Airport agent was willing, but computer wouldn't allow. She called a support number, and was informed my "class of service" was not available - you and I think "class of service" means First or Economy, but they really mean fare class (there was at least one Economy seat available on the earlier flight).

Also, potential upgrade on a domestic award tix is a benefit of Special Dividends at the 85k level, but the Yes/No upgrade email never arrived for this award tix, and upgrade never cleared. Only a short flight, so I didn't care enough to pursue the matter ... but it seems the system is glitchy these days.
The class of service issue is a disturbing "enhancement", if true, although I dont see any changes posted to the US website.

Re: award tix upgrades, I only had the opportunity to use this once (in late 2012), but my upgrade was buggy too. I ended up having to call into the CP desk to get it done at T-3 days.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec

I can also confirm they're strict about the 6-hour rule - an even earlier flight was 6 + hours (over by a few minutes), and the computer wouldn't allow.
Part of me wonders if there has to be award availability to move up an award flight? Either that, or MoveUp is just broken on award tickets.

Breaking the 6 hour rule has generally required an intermediate MoveUp to a flight in between.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit
Part of me wonders if there has to be award availability to move up an award flight? ....
Appears so presently in the MoveUp program ... wasn't that way in the past from experience.

Not MoveUp, but related topic of changing dates on another award tix: When I tried to change the date (same flights, same destination) of an upcoming award transcon, not only has there to be award availability, but it has to be the same award class booked. I had booked "O" (FC) all the way. The date I wanted had only "X" (Econ) award availability AVL-CLT; I mentioned I didn't mind flying Economy for that short hop, and willing to downgrade that segment. No Sir, there has to be the same "class of service", in my case "O" availability all the way, before they could change the award date. Kind of amusing that they were willing to downgrade me to "X" CLT-AVL (Dash 8 no FC) in a schedule change on the return award tix, yet would not let me downgrade when I was willing ...

Last edited by kudzu; Feb 20, 2014 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I know you can't MoveUp to start your journey more than six hours earlier, but what about when dealing with overnight layovers? For example, I'm looking at two YYZ-PHL-DCA itineraries:

(1) Depart YYZ 7:59 PM, arrive PHL 9:28 PM; connecting to a flight which departs PHL 10:54 PM, arrives DCA 11:52 PM.

(2) Depart YYZ 7:59 PM, arrive PHL 9:28 PM; connecting to a flight which leaves PHL the next morning at 5:55 AM, arrives DCA 6:54 AM.

Both are fared as YYZ - DCA (not YYZ-PHL/PHL-DCA), but itinerary (2) is a lot cheaper than itinerary (1). I wouldn't actually want to overnight in PHL if going to DCA, but would it be possible to MoveUp from (2) to (1)?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
I know you can't MoveUp to start your journey more than six hours earlier, but what about when dealing with overnight layovers? For example, I'm looking at two YYZ-PHL-DCA itineraries:

(1) Depart YYZ 7:59 PM, arrive PHL 9:28 PM; connecting to a flight which departs PHL 10:54 PM, arrives DCA 11:52 PM.

(2) Depart YYZ 7:59 PM, arrive PHL 9:28 PM; connecting to a flight which leaves PHL the next morning at 5:55 AM, arrives DCA 6:54 AM.

Both are fared as YYZ - DCA (not YYZ-PHL/PHL-DCA), but itinerary (2) is a lot cheaper than itinerary (1). I wouldn't actually want to overnight in PHL if going to DCA, but would it be possible to MoveUp from (2) to (1)?
you're probably going to have issues w/ the calendar date change b/w Itin 1 and 2. I've never tried something like this, but that's just my gut reaction.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber

As Move Up is usually based on departing earlier from the origin, I would suggest trying the earlier flight out of YYZ, which leaves at 5:59PM. Then, there is reason to do the entire itinerary. Maybe AWAflyboy can weigh in here.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mykle
As Move Up is usually based on departing earlier from the origin, I would suggest trying the earlier flight out of YYZ, which leaves at 5:59PM. Then, there is reason to do the entire itinerary. Maybe AWAflyboy can weigh in here.
I suppose I could try that (if I wind up booking this). I've had luck with moving up only the second segment (e.g. changing 3 hour layover to 1 hour layover), but never tried much of anything with an overnight layover...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
1) Can you move up the first segment only of a two-segment flight? How about one where the second segment is the next day?

2) I assume you can still move-up a non-status companion of one person on the PNR is preferred? How about two non-status companions with two preferreds on the same PNR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.