Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
6hr Move Up time limit

I am on a 3:46pm non-stop flight tomorrow. I want to do a SDC to another non-stop at 5:20am. I checked the US website and it says that I can do SDC for $75 (I am not elite) if the flight I am changing to is within 6 hours of my original flight.
I called my TA and she said that there was no mention of the 6 hour rule on her system. I would hate to reach the airport at 4:20am and be stuck there. I will be calling US later to verify my options but I wanted to post this question to all of you out there.

What will happen if I reach the airport and 4am and request to be moved to the 5:20 am flight even though this flight is 10 hours before my original flight? Will US allow it? I think most likely than not, I will be asked to pay the $200 change fee and the difference in fare but then I am just guessing.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by porky
I am on a 3:46pm non-stop flight tomorrow. I want to do a SDC to another non-stop at 5:20am. I checked the US website and it says that I can do SDC for $75 (I am not elite) if the flight I am changing to is within 6 hours of my original flight.
I called my TA and she said that there was no mention of the 6 hour rule on her system. I would hate to reach the airport at 4:20am and be stuck there. I will be calling US later to verify my options but I wanted to post this question to all of you out there.
Your TA wouldn't see anything because MoveUp can *only* be done at the airport. Not even US phone agents can do it.

What will happen if I reach the airport and 4am and request to be moved to the 5:20 am flight even though this flight is 10 hours before my original flight? Will US allow it? I think most likely than not, I will be asked to pay the $200 change fee and the difference in fare but then I am just guessing.
If there is a flight in between the 5:20a and 3:46p flights, you might be able to "move up" twice for $150 -- first to the intermediate flight, and then to the early one. Still, YMMV. Official answer is "no."
Old May 16, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by dtremit
Your TA wouldn't see anything because MoveUp can *only* be done at the airport. Not even US phone agents can do it.

If there is a flight in between the 5:20a and 3:46p flights, you might be able to "move up" twice for $150 -- first to the intermediate flight, and then to the early one. Still, YMMV. Official answer is "no."
Thanks. That makes sense. A short while ago, I priced the change on-line and the resulting change with fare difference and change fee came out to about $260. Now to decide if I want to spend an extra $110 for peace of mind tomorrow morning.
Old May 18, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
so was trying to move up at ATL today, and the Elite check-in line has kiosks. so i used the kiosk but no move-up was offered. i asked the agent to look (although after 5 mins of standing there eyeing her since she never came to the elite check-in line) and she said "if the kiosk doesnt offer you a move-up, then its not available" i can recall a kiosk asking me once total. does anyone know if this is true???
Old May 18, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
so was trying to move up at ATL today, and the Elite check-in line has kiosks. so i used the kiosk but no move-up was offered. i asked the agent to look (although after 5 mins of standing there eyeing her since she never came to the elite check-in line) and she said "if the kiosk doesnt offer you a move-up, then its not available" i can recall a kiosk asking me once total. does anyone know if this is true???
She LIED to you. No doubt about it. I used a kiosk at BWI two weeks ago and it did not offer me a move up. I went to the nearest ticket agent and he gave me several move up options and printed my new boarding passes that got me into SFO 3 hours earlier than originally scheduled.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Traveling on Friday SEA-CLT on the redeye (#1544) connecting to SJU on #1032. I have a 3h42m connection. There is a better connection to US #1030 that would give me a much more palatable 1h52m connection. The earlier flight to SJU looks open (9's across the board - even in F). Can I do the move-up in Seattle when I check-in or do I have to wait until I get to CLT? Also, as a Platinum DM, if they are able to do the Move-Up and there is space available in F when I check-in at Seattle for the CLT-SJU leg, would they clear me then or would I have to wait for a gate upgrade? My status just changed last night so I think I am still in the Gold upgrade queue hence I only cleared the SEA-CLT leg and not the CLT-SJU leg (email says it is too early).
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
If you are on a discounted fare & O class is available at the time of the Move Up, you should be confirmed in O (upgraded first class) when they check you in for the move up flight.

As for your other question, I would ask them to do this at your originating city. If they can't or won't, then ask either at the gate, or at your connection point.

The system limits what flight options they can see in the Move Up transaction entry. There is also a function called "adjust ticket" usually used for weather and other irregular operations that is more flexible, the adjust ticket option will not limit the agent to the 6 hour window, but the agent will have to "lie" in the adjust transaction as it prompts them why they are adjusting the ticket e.g. cancelled flight. I'm not sure what the other choices are maybe oversale, misconnect, etc. Some agents are mor comfortable than others tinkering in the system with adjust ticket and other features that the interface makes available.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Traveling on Friday SEA-CLT on the redeye (#1544) connecting to SJU on #1032. I have a 3h42m connection. There is a better connection to US #1030 that would give me a much more palatable 1h52m connection. The earlier flight to SJU looks open (9's across the board - even in F). Can I do the move-up in Seattle when I check-in or do I have to wait until I get to CLT? Also, as a Platinum DM, if they are able to do the Move-Up and there is space available in F when I check-in at Seattle for the CLT-SJU leg, would they clear me then or would I have to wait for a gate upgrade? My status just changed last night so I think I am still in the Gold upgrade queue hence I only cleared the SEA-CLT leg and not the CLT-SJU leg (email says it is too early).
Checked in at SEA using the Kiosk and was not given the option to MoveUp. I checked with the agent and, after a few moments worth of typing, she was able to get me onto the earlier CLT-SJU flight and she was able to keep my upgrade. I asked whether or not the "day of travel rule" was in play since it was 9:00pm PST 7/12 and the flight I wanted was at 8:00am EST on 7/13 and I really didn't get an answer.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Flying DFW-CLT-IAD.

Am I allowed to move-up my DFW-CLT flight and keep my ticketed CLT-IAD flight, if this would mean a 5 hour layover in CLT? Or is that not allowed for making the connection into a stopover?

I'd like to maximize the time in CLT to visit someone there, plus the earlier DFW_CLT flight (as of now) has preferred upgrades available while my later one doesn't.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by swag
Flying DFW-CLT-IAD.

Am I allowed to move-up my DFW-CLT flight and keep my ticketed CLT-IAD flight, if this would mean a 5 hour layover in CLT? Or is that not allowed for making the connection into a stopover?

I'd like to maximize the time in CLT to visit someone there, plus the earlier DFW_CLT flight (as of now) has preferred upgrades available while my later one doesn't.
I would tend to think this would be allowed as long as it's within 6 hours of original departure, since there's nothing noted in the MoveUp rules about layover lengths, however it may depend on the ticket/gate agent you get.

I had a great ticket agent at DFW yesterday who got me moved up from a 5:30pm flight home through CLT to an 8:30am flight home through PHL including the "double move up" noted earlier in this thread. She did both transactions at her computer, moving me temporarily onto a 12pm flight in between to process the two. Also went from a flight with no upgrades to one with an open F seat which was an added bonus. ^
Old Jul 19, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: None
I've not seen anything that would indicate that MoveUp couldn't be done if it creates a stopover although the intent of MoveUp is to get one to their destination earlier. If there's a rule about it it must be an unpublicized rule.

Jim
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Flying DFW-CLT-IAD.

In my experience, if you have a connection but only show a boarding pass for the first flight, that's all they pay attention to. Before I knew you could confirm a move up for your whole itinerary, I processed them at each individual airport. I can't remember if I've violated layover rules that way, but I am certain that I have moved up several times for the first flight of a 2-segment itin without moving up for the second flight right away. I'd wager if there is space on the flight, you'll get on no problems.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Thumbs up

Flying DFW-CLT-IAD.

Following up, it was allowed. I asked the ticket agent for move-up, she said "if I can confirm the whole itinerary", I said I'd prefer to keep my original conncting flight. She said "really? in that case, no problem.

Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:11 am

I actually moved back the other day.... Original flight was delayed and was only goin to leave 15 minutes earlier than the next flight. I got the club agent at CLT to move me to the later flight which has an F seat available
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tttony
I actually moved back the other day.... Original flight was delayed and was only goin to leave 15 minutes earlier than the next flight. I got the club agent at CLT to move me to the later flight which has an F seat available
Delays tend to change the rules a bit. A few months back I was scheduled CLT-PHL-PIT. I got to the club quite a bit earlier than I needed to for my flight, so I checked to see if there were any options to move up, either through PHL or DCA. The agent couldn't confirm space right that moment, but as we were speaking, my original CLT-PHL flight was delayed enough that it put my connection at risk, and she offered to put me on the direct flight to PIT that left just a short time later (maybe 40 mins or so), and had me back home before my delayed flight would have made it to PHL for my connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.