Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Another interesting thing about DL's policy is that you can SDC when the flight is showing Y1, even if it is oversold by 100.

I've used this many times to SDC to an already oversold flight to then immediately volunteer my seat for $400 Delta Dollars.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by coswellnc
If you are connecting, you no longer can be placed on standby if the flight you want to standby for is booked to capacity or oversold. Even though I'm CP and would be at the top of the list if the flight had a no-show, I wouldn't even have a shot because I was connecting in CLT
coswellnc xxeditxx sorry I misunderstood the scenario... Yeah this new policy doesn't really make sense.

However... I am assuming that you weren't checking bags... Did you try hanging around the departure gate on the earlier flight to see if there was any space - at which point you could be confirmed on the earlier flight... (Although of course you would be at the back of the standby line..)

Last edited by Cloudwanderer; Feb 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by kudzu
Thanks for writing to CP desk and confirming this new rule.
Moving Up or standby for the entire itinerary isn't that new - it's been the policy for at least a couple of years. The reason is simple. If you have a ticket A-B-C and want to MoveUp or standby to A-D-C and there's isn't a seat from D-C you could be stuck there with a ticket for C-D.

The agent should have the freedom to apply some common sense, as in the case of the same connecting city but earlier flights in and out of that city. Unfortunately, too many are afraid of the consequences of "interpreting" the policy instead of enforcing it.

Jim
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by coswellnc
However the information provided to our agents both in reservations and at the airports state that customers booked on connecting flights may only Move Up from the originating city if both segments are under capacity. Standby (if flight is at or over capacity) is not an option for customers ticketed on connecting flights.
So...they did change the rule, communicate it to the Agents and Airport staff but failed to communicate it to the customer. If you are connecting, you no longer can be placed on standby if the flight you want to standby for is booked to capacity or oversold. Even though I'm CP and would be at the top of the list if the flight had a no-show, I wouldn't even have a shot because I was connecting in CLT.
I'm not sure it actually has changed -- I think it's a matter of terminology. "MoveUp" refers to a positive space, confirmed flight change for a fee -- and always has, as far as I know. Standby is a separate offering, and is still available if -- and only if -- confirmed space is not available. I think the thing the CP desk has clarified is that you can't stand by for any segment if confirmed space is available on any other future segment.

However, I think there's an easy way around the complication in a case when an earlier segment is only available standby. The key is that the MoveUp program does not require you to arrive earlier -- only depart earlier than your original flight.

So, if you want to take an earlier flight, and the second segment is not available for MoveUp, confirm a change to an itinerary with the earlier first segment but the same second segment you originally booked. Say you'd rather spend time in the club at the hub, or that you're worried about your connection, or whatever.

When you get to the hub, change again. If seats have opened up on the flight, then you can get a confirmed seat; there's plenty of evidence that it's possible to move up multiple times. If seats haven't opened up, then you should be able to add yourself to the standby list, since there aren't any more segments on your desired itinerary with available seats.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
US airways change same day flight? Free or money?

what is US airways rule on same day change? How many hours before the flight?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UA1KPHL
what is US airways rule on same day change? How many hours before the flight?
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...ds/MoveUp.html
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:36 pm

Anyone had luck moving up a party of two (same PNR) at the kiosk with one preferred, and a non-preferred? I seldom fly with another person, so I've not tried this scenario at the kiosk.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: DM member since 1996, DM Gold, Marriott Gold
Dumb question but if seats are available on an earlier flight is it first come first served for move up? Or do they use your status level to determine who gets the few empty seats.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
FCFS for move up, Standby, which is an entirely other animal, is by status
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bighead1970
Dumb question but if seats are available on an earlier flight is it first come first served for move up? Or do they use your status level to determine who gets the few empty seats.
If the flight has seats open, it's first come, first served and you're confirmed immediately when you are checked in by the agent or kiosk.
If the flight is full, and you are placed on the standby list, the status does play a role in who gets the seats first.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle
Anyone had luck moving up a party of two (same PNR) at the kiosk with one preferred, and a non-preferred? I seldom fly with another person, so I've not tried this scenario at the kiosk.
Is the fee waived for a non-preferred on the same PNR as a preferred if both move-up? Not sure if this is the same question because I always move-up with an agent - I didn't know you could do it at the kiosk.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie3
Is the fee waived for a non-preferred on the same PNR as a preferred if both move-up? Not sure if this is the same question because I always move-up with an agent - I didn't know you could do it at the kiosk.
Yes, companions in the same PNR should get the fee waived with the preferred member. My question was whether it could be done at the Kiosk. I have been able to move up at the kiosk when traveling by myself, without a fee, as preferred.

Last edited by Mykle; Mar 31, 2013 at 7:45 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Mykle
Yes, companions in the same PNR should get the fee waived with the preferred member. My question was whether it could be done at the Kiosk. I have been able to move up at the kiosk when traveling by myself, without a fee, as preferred.
There's no harm in trying -- you can always back out. That said, even without that complication, the kiosk often misses eligible itineraries.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:02 pm

Is there any same day option at all, beyond the normal $150pp change fee, to do a same day change > 6 hours? Two of the 3 are SP. Do they still allow us to stand by at no charge or is that also within a 6 hour window? I looked on the website but it wasn't entirely clear to me on the standby or options outside of 6 hrs - generally silence means the $150 fee, though.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Does MoveUp allow you to move to an earlier connecting flight even if you take the same originating flight? Right now I'm scheduled for a five (!) - hour layover in CLT, and as appealing as the US Airways Club screw-top wine sounds, there are two earlier connecting flights to my destination. And if MoveUp does allow for this, will the agent at my origin city be able to apply MoveUp right then and there, or will I have to wait until CLT and find a ticket agent there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.