Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am immediately complaining to US about this silliness. 6 hours max??? That means if you're booked on the red-eye from the West Coast, you likely cannot leave on ANY earlier flight that day.

And who cares about the same number of stops?

Just stupid all around.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
Had a pretty negative experience with this on Tuesday during a day trip up to BDL from DCA.

My morning DCA-BDL non-stop was delayed ~2 hours due to a mechanical. I asked in the club if they could reaccomodate me on a connection via PHL rather than waiting for at least 2 hours. The agent referenced this policy as the reason they could not make that change - even in case of a mechanical delay.

On my return, originally scheduled as BDL-PHL-DCA, the BDL-DCA non-stop that I would have missed wound up delayed. Again, denied the change.
The agents are completely wrong here. The Move Up policy does not change the Irregular Ops policy. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, they can reroute you on any routing. It's not a Move Up when it's Irregular Ops.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Mykle
The agents are completely wrong here. The Move Up policy does not change the Irregular Ops policy. If your flight is delayed or cancelled, they can reroute you on any routing. It's not a Move Up when it's Irregular Ops.
+1 Move Up is by definition voluntarily
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
This is interesting. I'm familiar with same day change policies on DL and UA, and am a frequent user of those policies; in fact, I think I personally assess the ability to change for free within 24 hour windows as the most valuable of all VFF benefits... even above upgrades.
Someone in the other thread stated that these changes must have been implemented to control gaming of the system, ie, to stop customers from buying a same day itinerary priced significantly lower than the desired itinerary, with the intent of changing the itinerary under the defined rules.
That's rich. I would submit that a much more egregious example of gaming the system is luring cutomers to buy tickets with the knowledge they can same day change for $50 (or free if > gold), then the seller subsequently altering same day change penalties and constraints on tickets already purchased under the prior rules.
In fact, I would think the DOT might be real interested in this US bait and switch.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Mykle
I certainly hope you are right, while I haven't had many opportunities to "Move Up" from a connection to a non-stop, I have had several cases where due to irregular ops I have been switched by US as a solution to missing a connection.

I was booked PVD-DCA-CAK, while enroute to DCA the CAK flight was cancelled. Next CAK flight from DCA was 24hrs later. Rebooked at club DCA-CLT, CLT-CAK. Got in only a 4-5hrs later than anticipated. I would have been livid if they told me I had to wait 24hrs so as avoid adding a leg to the itinerary.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Does anybody know if the move up fee is waived for passengers without status but ticketed in F (O fare)?

Go Gators
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Move Up program price increase

I flew my weekly route today and was informed that move-up charges increased from $50 to $75 last week. Another increase may also be planned and implemented by distance flown. I had not seen or heard of this, but figured others here may find it interesting.

It is still free for preferred members, but alas, I've shifted a lot of my flying elsewhere this year.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
There was a post about the fee increase a few weeks back. They have also restricted how elites can move up as well.

Move up policy

Last edited by Michael El; Aug 2, 2012 at 8:35 am
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NESkier
Boo. Delta's same-day confirmed policy for elites (gold and higher) was already better, even before this change.
In what way?

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
This is interesting. I'm familiar with same day change policies on DL and UA, and am a frequent user of those policies; in fact, I think I personally assess the ability to change for free within 24 hour windows as the most valuable of all VFF benefits... even above upgrades.

Someone in the other thread stated that these changes must have been implemented to control gaming of the system, ie, to stop customers from buying a same day itinerary priced significantly lower than the desired itinerary, with the intent of changing the itinerary under the defined rules.
That's rich. I would submit that a much more egregious example of gaming the system is luring cutomers to buy tickets with the knowledge they can same day change for $50 (or free if > gold), then the seller subsequently altering same day change penalties and constraints on tickets already purchased under the prior rules.
In fact, I would think the DOT might be real interested in this US bait and switch.
I agree with UA's policy being nice, but why Delta? Delta's policy is that you can only move up three hours before your scheduled flight, and can try to confirm that three hours before that. So other than being able to do that via phone (which is nice), the time period is the same (your sentence implies that DL has a 24 hour move up policy).

As for the other comments...of course this change is designed to prevent customers from buying a cheap ticket at 10pm, but flying out at 11am. I've done this countless times, and while it was always within the rules, there was never a question that it was gaming the system.

Your comment about a DOT complaint about this being "bait and switch" is just silly, and it was (and is) free for all preferreds, not just gold and above, as you state.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
Does the same move up policy apply to the shuttle? I freshener reading that us had an even more restrictive policy planed for the shuttle but did not see any mention of that in the link posted upthread.... I how us doesn't/hasn't gone that route because the while virtue of the shuttle is frequency and flexibility...all changers that reduce either make amtrak all the more compelling....
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
One other question: does us still waive move up fee for non-elite traveling on same reservation as elite? (i have to add a large kudos to us for continuing to waive the fee for silvers...hasn't other alters have devalued the entry level elite tier...)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I agree with UA's policy being nice, but why Delta? Delta's policy is that you can only move up three hours before your scheduled flight, and can try to confirm that three hours before that. So other than being able to do that via phone (which is nice), the time period is the same (your sentence implies that DL has a 24 hour move up policy).
Unless I'm mistaken, Delta's policy is that one can call starting 3 hours before the desired NEW flight, not the originally ticketed one. At least, they've never given a friend of mine trouble changing to flights > 3 hrs before ticketed flight.

Delta website has additional information: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...avel/index.jsp
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unless I'm mistaken, Delta's policy is that one can call starting 3 hours before the desired NEW flight, not the originally ticketed one. At least, they've never given a friend of mine trouble changing to flights > 3 hrs before ticketed flight.

Delta website has additional information: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...avel/index.jsp
You're right, thanks. I mis-read the rules (and have a couple co-workers who apparently don't understand their benefits!).

NY-FLA, I take back some of my earlier comments as well regarding Delta's policy--you are correct, and I would have to agree with you that both UA and DL are more generous in this regard.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
So if you've been upgraded to F on your late evening flight (crosscountry to the West Coast, arriving around 11 p.m.), but can only MoveUp to steerage on a flight that gets in 2.5 hours earlier, would you do it in order to get in at a reasonable hour, or would you just do dinner in your East Coast city first and then enjoy the perks of F, even if that means getting in at 2 a.m. Eastern time?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
In what way?

As for the other comments...of course this change is designed to prevent customers from buying a cheap ticket at 10pm, but flying out at 11am. I've done this countless times, and while it was always within the rules, there was never a question that it was gaming the system.

Your comment about a DOT complaint about this being "bait and switch" is just silly, and it was (and is) free for all preferreds, not just gold and above, as you state.
Sorry, just not comprehending how using an advertised benefit is gaming the system. The advertised benefit, IME, formed part of the COC when the ticket was bought. Changes after that point, but before the travel, are changes to the COC, so both parties have to agree. (IANAL, but this is basic contract law)

Correct. On DL, the change is within 3 hours of departure of the new flight, as long as the flight is on the same calendar day.

You're right, thanks. I mis-read the rules (and have a couple co-workers who apparently don't understand their benefits!).

NY-FLA, I take back some of my earlier comments as well regarding Delta's policy--you are correct, and I would have to agree with you that both UA and DL are more generous in this regard.
No problem, for some reason a lot of people get this wrong. Don't spend too much time explaining this to co-workers, I don't need competition for DL SDC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.