Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Mykle
There is a whole thread about the Move Up program, and this has been addressed multiple times (moderator, please merge). Yes, you should be allowed to move-up together without fee, but there are potential system issues depending on how they do it. Bottom line, if there are any troubles, refer the agent to section 8.24 in their customer service manual which says the move-up without fee applies to preferred members, and traveling companions in the same reservation as a preferred member.
Thank you for letting me know

For those who may not be aware, there is a sticky at the top of the forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...w-threads.html

I'd suggest taking a peek in there before posting a new thread, as you may find what you're looking for.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Mykle
and traveling companions in the same reservation as a preferred member.
This is the key, you must be on the same reservation.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Has US Changed Computer System for 6 Hour Rule - Airport Unofficial Procedures

I wonder if US has changed its computer programming so it prompts the agent to charge a pax if a Move Up is attempted more than 6 hours in advance?

Also remember the airport agents can do anything with a ticket, they have the permissions in the system to essentially re-evalidate any ticket as an irregular operation. ZSometimes you'll see INVOL in the endorsement box when this is done. They can also change the status of a flight coupon sometimes without reissuing the ticket.

I think also when the system prompts the agent to charge if they press shiuft-F8 it brings up a menu where they can override the fee.

Your mileage may vary as some agents feel completely comfortable overriding the system and putting in place any policy they see fit. Other agents fear that big brother is watching them and they fear or say they fear anyway if they just enter in an INVOL over-ride for whatever you want. But I know at all the airlines, its not just US, an agent can do pretty much withg in reason what they see fit with a ticket and a lot of them don't feel they will be disciplined.

A same day change to an earlier or later flight should be "reasonable," for a preferred member, and this is what I would expect to have as a sort of unwritten or informal policy at the airport despite any rules that come from corporate.

Also whatever you do, don't call, because they will note your reservation that you were advised say that changes cannot be made more than 6 hours. The best procedure is for you to just show up at the ticket counter or the gate.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
US's website says that Move Up is permitted if the new flights have the same number of stops as the original flight(s).

I have a ROA-CLT-LGA trip this weekend, and I would rather go earlier. There is a ROA-PHL-LGA alternative- looks like that should be doable if there are seats available on those flights?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: None
The key is having open seats. As long as you can be confirmed on both new flights you should get the Move Up. However, agents shouldn't give Move Up to a new connecting point only even with the same number of legs, since that would leave you at the new connecting point with no confirmed seat to your destination.

Jim
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:10 am

Has anyone had any success adding a segment, e.g., going from DCA-BOS to DCA-PHL-BOS? I used to do that all the time. Are the agents following the new rules pretty closely? I know we figured out a workaround for the 6-hour rule; has anyone come up with anything for adding segments?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by cactus47
I know we figured out a workaround for the 6-hour rule; has anyone come up with anything for adding segments?
What workaround is this?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
6 Hour Work Around

The 6 hour work around is lets say:
Originally Booked: depart at 7:00pm
Want to Depart at: 7:00am
Move Up to Departure at: 1:00pm
Then Move Up Again to Departure at: 7:00am

This of course assumes that there are extra flights.

I would just ask the agents to make whatever same day changes you want despite the policy in consideration of customer service.

They can always do an INVOL reissue if they need more coupons for extra segments, or there may be another way that can be revalidated on the ticket. They could alsways document the record the change was due to predicted weather delays or some sotry.

US Airways or any airline simply doesn't have the resources or manpower to audit every record. They likely transport say 40,000 to 50,000 people a day and there is just no way physically every PNR could be checked by big brother in PHX.

That being said, at all airlines, you have agents with no fear at all, and others who think they will get fired for the tiniest deviation from the rules. I have even had agents at a legacy sort of laugh and say they can override absolutely anything regarding tickets or fare rules, with no fear.

Its all about personality and comfort level hacking the system I guess.

I wonder if a 20 year agent who is used to the old way is more likely to do this, rather than say a 20 year old who just got hired in the 2012 way of doing things.

Remember in say 1999 anyone regardless of status could standby for any same day flight, and a Move Up fee was un heard of.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:24 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cactus47
Has anyone had any success adding a segment, e.g., going from DCA-BOS to DCA-PHL-BOS? I used to do that all the time. Are the agents following the new rules pretty closely? I know we figured out a workaround for the 6-hour rule; has anyone come up with anything for adding segments?
My experience is that they're following this to the letter - even though most agents will tell you they believe this policy is a bad idea.

If you look earlier in the thread, I had an instance where I was refused a reroute via a connection in spite of a crazy delay in the DCA club.

On the return, the final non-stop of the day back to DCA was delayed, and I asked to get on it and skip the connection (booked xxx-PHL-DCA). Again, refused.

In the second instance, the delay back to DCA would have meant stranding another connecting pax there. Their only option was to fly via PHL on the flight I wanted to change away from, but there were no seats available.

The TA's position was that unless either me or the other pax paid change fee + fare diff, I'd be routing via PHL and she'd be overnighting in DCA.

Seems to me that they've gone out of their way to put fear into GAs/TAs not to work around this rule.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Hi all,

I've been a long time reader and I'm finally going to post. I am hoping for some advice. I'm a US Gold and I'm traveling from Phoenix to Vegas on October 6. I'm looking to move up to a 1:55 pm flight from my current 3:55 pm flight. I know this is in the 6 hour window but how early can I request the change? Can I call today? Does it have to be day of and if so how early?

I've only used this at the airport but would like to make the change now to ensure I have a seat.

Thank you,

Ben
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
...how early can I request the change? Can I call today? Does it have to be day of and if so how early? ...
Welcome to FlyerTalk, WiscAZ ^

MoveUp can only be done same-day at the airport - that requirement has not changed (though the website no longer explicitly says so). As to how early, it's whenever you get to the airport ticket counter on day of flight.

Use any of the online tools to check flight availability before you head out to the airport early. Presently, the 1:55pm US604 flight Oct 6 PHX-LAS shows F7 A7 P7 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 N9 V9 W9 L9 S3 T0 G0 K0 U0 E0 R0 - 7 FC seats for sale, and at least 9 for sale in Economy.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Thank you for the response. Is it best to just show up at the airport or can you call the morning of?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
...Is it best to just show up at the airport or can you call the morning of?
With MoveUp, you have to show up at the airport; you cannot call.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
My experience is that they're following this to the letter - even though most agents will tell you they believe this policy is a bad idea.

If you look earlier in the thread, I had an instance where I was refused a reroute via a connection in spite of a crazy delay in the DCA club.

On the return, the final non-stop of the day back to DCA was delayed, and I asked to get on it and skip the connection (booked xxx-PHL-DCA). Again, refused.

In the second instance, the delay back to DCA would have meant stranding another connecting pax there. Their only option was to fly via PHL on the flight I wanted to change away from, but there were no seats available.

The TA's position was that unless either me or the other pax paid change fee + fare diff, I'd be routing via PHL and she'd be overnighting in DCA.

Seems to me that they've gone out of their way to put fear into GAs/TAs not to work around this rule.
The agents are confusing Move Up with Irregular Ops. In the Irregular Ops situation, with a delayed flight, there is another option they can choose which allows them to reroute you without prompting for any fees to be collected. This is a terrible disservice, and I hope you are writing in to US Airways so they can correct this by giving proper training.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS
Hi,

Originally booked ORD-PHL-HVN but now I'm flying United nonstop ORD-BDL with a US flight number booked on 03 stock. I'd like to take an earlier flight. Do I need to do a MoveUp at the airport or is a UA SDC a possibility?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.