Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm sure the answer is no but I'll ask...

Is this 'MoveUp' fee waived for Star Gold? I'm UA 1K and have a TPA-PHL flight coming up this month that I would like to move up 2 hours if possible. It's not worth $75 to me.
-RM
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm sure the answer is no but I'll ask...

Is this 'MoveUp' fee waived for Star Gold? I'm UA 1K and have a TPA-PHL flight coming up this month that I would like to move up 2 hours if possible. It's not worth $75 to me.
-RM
My understanding is that Move Up programs for your own preferred carrier only. I've never been able to move to an earlier flight on UA (or CO previously) without paying as a Star Gold. That being said, it never hurts to ask at the airport if you're already there.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: Gold
Flight change CHARGE for preferred > 6 hrs

i just called reservations to find out about available seats for earlier flights (PHX to RDU). I was originally on red eye at 2315, and wanted to get out at 1446. I was informed by reservations, and Gold desk that since the flight time was greater than 6 hours from my original flight, I would then have to pay for change fee (150) and flight differential cost (200+) and service fee (phone - 25). this applies to all even preferred status.
I wrote complaint email to USAirways and told them I would now change my allegiance to Southwest (no change fees). Not sure what the benefit to status on USAirways is anymore besides boarding early, and a rare upgrade. Can't wait to hear the Chairmens preferred go ballistic over this one.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: Gold
No more no cost same day upgrade....
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by NCTerp
I wrote complaint email to USAirways and told them I would now change my allegiance to Southwest (no change fees).
Southwest requires refares when you make flight changes, even for same-day standby. The grass isn't always greener.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Also "Move Up" can only be done at the airport and not by phone.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
I wish they'd take a play from UA's book here. 24 hours, can even be a different day. I'm cool with banning coterminals, but if you want to reroute via a different city or direct and open up inventory, US should encourage that.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by NCTerp
i just called reservations to find out about available seats for earlier flights (PHX to RDU). I was originally on red eye at 2315, and wanted to get out at 1446. I was informed by reservations, and Gold desk that since the flight time was greater than 6 hours from my original flight, I would then have to pay for change fee (150) and flight differential cost (200+) and service fee (phone - 25). this applies to all even preferred status.
I wrote complaint email to USAirways and told them I would now change my allegiance to Southwest (no change fees). Not sure what the benefit to status on USAirways is anymore besides boarding early, and a rare upgrade. Can't wait to hear the Chairmens preferred go ballistic over this one.
You are right that this represents for many a real loss in benefits.

In your case, since the bank of flights from West Coast to East Coast essentially closes at early afternoon until the red-eyes, you could not even do the "work-around," which is to first move up to a flight that is less than six hours from the originally scheduled one, then move up from that one to the earlier flight. (And, while we're counting off the bad stuff, I know that there are no NS PHX-RDU flights, but, for the sake of illustration, even if there were a hypothetical 18h00 PHX-RDU NS, you would not have been able to move up to that from the original PHX-CLT-RDU routing, since the move-up program now distinguishes NS from connecting flights.)

Remember that even in the good old days (up until last month), you would still have had to go to the airport to avail yourself of the move up program.

Finally, and I really don't mean to be argumentative (especially since seating on WN is a horse of a different color), but probably the bottom line reason I don't price-shop, schedule-shop the way I once did is how all the elite programs have made it difficult for non-elites to get a good seat on, for example, trans-continental flights like PHX-CLT.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by dparkinson
I wish they'd take a play from UA's book here. 24 hours, can even be a different day. I'm cool with banning coterminals, but if you want to reroute via a different city or direct and open up inventory, US should encourage that.
From the outside UA definitely has a much better (lenient) policy. I don't fly US but once a year and I've never even tried to use the Move-Up program so I can't comment from that side.

On the UA side remember that you must have same fare class availability. If you're booked in a low fare class like L, T or G that same fare class must be available on the flights you are trying to SDC to (up to 24 hours in advance or up to 24 hours after your originally scheduled flight). Chances of finding availability in the lower fare buckets is very rare, especially in summer.

It seems to me the Move-Up program works as long as US is selling any seat in the Y cabin and that same fare class availability does not apply.

DL has a 3 hour SDC rule but also works on any Y seat. You don't need same fare class availability. So in this regard US might have a better system because you can do it 6 hours in advance. But just like with UA, DL allows you to SDC over the phone. UA allows SDC online while DL and US do not.

-RM
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
Has anyone actually successfully used the "double move up" or is it just a "should work in theory" speculation.

I imagine a very willing gate agent would be required to essentially game the system on your behalf.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
From the outside UA definitely has a much better (lenient) policy. I don't fly US but once a year and I've never even tried to use the Move-Up program so I can't comment from that side.

On the UA side remember that you must have same fare class availability. If you're booked in a low fare class like L, T or G that same fare class must be available on the flights you are trying to SDC to (up to 24 hours in advance or up to 24 hours after your originally scheduled flight). Chances of finding availability in the lower fare buckets is very rare, especially in summer.

It seems to me the Move-Up program works as long as US is selling any seat in the Y cabin and that same fare class availability does not apply.

DL has a 3 hour SDC rule but also works on any Y seat. You don't need same fare class availability. So in this regard US might have a better system because you can do it 6 hours in advance. But just like with UA, DL allows you to SDC over the phone. UA allows SDC online while DL and US do not.

-RM

You're absolutely correct about UA and the same fare bucket rule to confirm a change, but this rule does not apply if you're willing to standby on UA. If you're gold or greater on UA, standby is free, it must be the same calendar day (not 24 hours) and any open seat will do, and different routings (not co-terminals) are usually permitted. (Different routing depends on availability on the subsequent leg. UA will not send a standby passenger into a potential stranded situation.)

You're absolutely incorrect about DL. The 3 hour rule (and your misunderstanding is very common) is that you must make the move within 3 hours of the departure time of your desired new flight, which must be on the same calendar day. Very clearly on DL, if you have a 23:00 flight, an 07:00 on the same day with same class availability can be substituted anytime after 04:00. Different routings are permissible if there is availabilty on all legs.

Any claim that US's new "Move-UP" system is somehow superior to DL's (or anyone else's, with the possible exception of WN) is just laughable.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by tt120
Has anyone actually successfully used the "double move up" or is it just a "should work in theory" speculation.

I imagine a very willing gate agent would be required to essentially game the system on your behalf.
I did this when they made the changes the first time, about 6-8 weeks ago. I was on a 6:32pm flight, trying to get on a 12:30 flight, no go. They moved me to the 3:15, confirmed, and then put me on standby for the 12:30, then I got on.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Mlife Gold
MoveUp Program - ? - Travelling w/ child

When I booked flights for myself and my child, I was surprised (and delighted!) to see that US allowed me to convey my status to my child and have him in the same preferred seats as me (ok, this makes sense since I want my child to sit with me - but since when do airlines make sense??)

The question is about the MoveUp program. I was hoping to catch an earlier flight and usually this is a no fee option for me as a Gold member but now I'm wondering whether they will charge me for my child. Has anyone had an experience and can tell me one way or the other??
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:59 am

There is a whole thread about the Move Up program, and this has been addressed multiple times (moderator, please merge). Yes, you should be allowed to move-up together without fee, but there are potential system issues depending on how they do it. Bottom line, if there are any troubles, refer the agent to section 8.24 in their customer service manual which says the move-up without fee applies to preferred members, and traveling companions in the same reservation as a preferred member.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zohyeahz
When I booked flights for myself and my child, I was surprised (and delighted!) to see that US allowed me to convey my status to my child and have him in the same preferred seats as me (ok, this makes sense since I want my child to sit with me - but since when do airlines make sense??)

The question is about the MoveUp program. I was hoping to catch an earlier flight and usually this is a no fee option for me as a Gold member but now I'm wondering whether they will charge me for my child. Has anyone had an experience and can tell me one way or the other??
Just did this with my daughter. We both got moved up with no fee. And we both got upgraded to F on the new flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.