Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by oopsz
Fifth time was the charm. Amazing. If I didn't know to call back...
Think of how many people immediately give up when they're erroneously told by a representative of the airline that US miles can only be used on US flights. I'd almost love to record calls like that and play them back for senior management, assuming they'd care.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ
CCU/DEL/BOM to TLV via FRA?

Anyone had success routing from India to TLV using LH, e.g.:

CCU-FRA-TLV

The individual segments show availability, but the agents keep insisting that this is not a "legal Star routing" or something of that ilk.

Should I give up?
Should I try (yet) another agent?
Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by boazs
Anyone had success routing from India to TLV using LH, e.g.:

CCU-FRA-TLV

The individual segments show availability, but the agents keep insisting that this is not a "legal Star routing" or something of that ilk.

Should I give up?
Should I try (yet) another agent?
Thanks!
Sounds like they're using the *A website to check for published routes. I'd keep trying - even calling a different time of day just for luck's sake.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:21 pm

Is something like this possible on USAirways? U.S. -> Europe -> South America U.S.

For example, JFK-FRA-GRU-JFK

Would it basically be three r/t tickets or is there another way to get 'er done?

Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:49 pm

UA doesn't have blackout dates.
What United actually means is they offer both Standard Awards with no blackout dates, and reasonably priced Saver Awards with limited dates and availability.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Darren
Is something like this possible on USAirways? U.S. -> Europe -> South America U.S.

For example, JFK-FRA-GRU-JFK
Would appreciate an answer to this as well. Looking into routings for YYZ-CAI-GRU-YYZ.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:03 pm

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with Swiss Award availability? The ANA tool shows F, US airways can't see it, the ANA tool will show no C, US Airways can book seats.... I can't really detect any sort of pattern.

Last edited by fly2nrt; Jun 8, 2010 at 11:09 pm
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Coolers
What United actually means is they offer both Standard Awards with no blackout dates, and reasonably priced Saver Awards with limited dates and availability.
Yes, that's true, but it's not like US Airways who say "You cannot book a reward flight on US metal from December 21 to december 28". They don't black out saver availability just because of date (I should know- I just booked christmas flights for my family).

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...koutdates.html
Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:31 pm

Yes, that's true, but it's not like US Airways who say "You cannot book a reward flight on US metal from December 21 to december 28". They don't black out saver availability just because of date (I should know- I just booked christmas flights for my family).

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...koutdates.html
United does in fact have blackout dates for non-premium cabins.

http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...8,1145,00.html

They don't have to call them blackout dates, just reduce the capacity to zero on certain days (e.g. capacity controls)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by gsforfree
United does in fact have blackout dates for non-premium cabins.

http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...8,1145,00.html

They don't have to call them blackout dates, just reduce the capacity to zero on certain days (e.g. capacity controls)

Looks like that must be an outdated page or something. Check out here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1146,00.html

No blackout dates.... of course, there are with no inventory made available, so I guess in the end it makes no difference.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Would appreciate an answer to this as well. Looking into routings for YYZ-CAI-GRU-YYZ.
That would be a hard one to book. It's not technically allowed by the rules because it's not even close to a direct route home. With the right agent you MIGHT get it booked but I doubt it.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by ejh25
That would be a hard one to book. It's not technically allowed by the rules because it's not even close to a direct route home. With the right agent you MIGHT get it booked but I doubt it.
I tried to book IAD-FRA-EZE and was basically laughed at....
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:30 pm

For those that are interested, LH A380 availability is wide open in January FRA-NRT and NRT-FRA (many other months).
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by uva185
[SIZE=1]I tried to book IAD-FRA-EZE and was basically laughed at....
I'd laugh at you too. Flexible / barely enforced rules are awesome but that's seriously pushing it. Can't blame you for trying, of course.

The only "out of the way" one I think should be permitted would be North America - South Pacific awards via Asia. Thankfully US permits this. What would also be awesome would be something like JFK-GRU-AKL if it actually existed, all on JJ.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I'd laugh at you too. Flexible / barely enforced rules are awesome but that's seriously pushing it. Can't blame you for trying, of course.

The only "out of the way" one I think should be permitted would be North America - South Pacific awards via Asia. Thankfully US permits this. What would also be awesome would be something like JFK-GRU-AKL if it actually existed, all on JJ.
Personally, I'm a big fan of this one:

ICN-NRT(stop)-ATL(dest) ATL-MUC(stop)-ICN all for the price of a North Asia/US award ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.