Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by mhen
A couple of quick questions

1. I booked my first DM award on Friday (TG F) but have not had any confirmation email yet. How long does it usually take?

2. Check my trip only shows 5 of 6 legs booked, the first is missing. Rang US air yesterday who assured me first leg was confirmed. When should I start to panic? Should I ring US again or ring Thai?

Thanks
1. You probably won't ever get an email.

2. With multi-carrier itineraries that's normal, the single airline PNR only sees those related segments necessary for transporting you and your bags. If you're concerned, call the operating airline for seat assignments...
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Oh and by the way no prob yesterday booking

RNO-SFO-FRA-SIN
KIX-LAX-SFO-RNO

So outbound across the Atlantic, back across the Pacific.

Taxes even auto-priced, no need to hold for the rate desk
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by abcx
Surely first name and/or last initial can't be that bad?
Please don't encourage this. We want to protect the anonymity of very helpful agents.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Oh and by the way no prob yesterday booking

RNO-SFO-FRA-SIN
KIX-LAX-SFO-RNO

So outbound across the Atlantic, back across the Pacific.

Taxes even auto-priced, no need to hold for the rate desk
No stops, I take it?

Originally Posted by ejh25
Please don't encourage this. We want to protect the anonymity of very helpful agents.
Fair enough. It was just a suggestion. I guess usually it's easy enough to tell if the agent is going to be a stickler about the rules.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
No stops, I take it?
Wasn't for me.

Was for a family friend, open jaw to meet the start and end of a cruise...
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:25 pm

Booking *A for Domestic Flight

I have used *A with my DM account to go to Europe in the past. I understand how all the tools work and have my ANA account. Does the same process work for domestic tix? I am trying to travel between BOS and PDX on 8/14, returning 8/24 and the agents I have spoken to say that they can not book that on United.

I have also checked the ANA website and there is not any availability that shows up so that may be my issue. UA Mileage Plus does show seats but I do not have UA mileage.

If anyone can definitively answer if this is even possible (i.e., use DM miles to book UA flight to PDX) please let me know.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
You can book domestically (it's just an single region award that way) on UA or CO. If ANA doesn't show snailability then that's your issue. Make sure you're checking segment by segment using the various UA and CO hubs though.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just a short question:

I´m currently ticketed FRA-KIX(LH)-BKK(TG)-SYD(TG) all in F (no stopovers on my way to SYD).
TG is telling me the aircraft for KIX-BKK has been downgraded with no F cabin.

Is it possible to reroute due to the downgrade F -> C without paying a change fee? (To make things a little more complicated I assume this is also an invalid routing due to backtracking.)

Thank´s!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by travelkid
Had a very pleasant encounter with US CSR now^

When I initially couldnt find F flights PEK-BKK (and no seats on PEK-SIN), I decided to route via HKG back. When I got the TK suites, I wasnt too worried about missing TG F and the infamous spa, especially since there were no seats on 777 BKK-CDG. As mentioned above I managed to get the second stopover in HK surprisingly (as I had to even fight for the first one in PVG).
Then I figured that the stopover maybe wasnt so smart as they wont check my 100 kg+ luggage through. And thats a major hassle to sort in HK potentially, + even customs? I decided to give it a try to change without change fee. However no LX/TK seats within layoverlimits. So I got HKG-BKK-ZRH in F ( yes both segments) for 2 pax. I managed to save the 2x change fee of 150$ (I did one change of a different reservation with same agent first, and then he claimed 250$ change before he corrected himself to 150$) telling him it was initially an illegal stopover, + he didnt say a word about higher taxes (despite having a issue with rate desk and paying higher taxes on the first one. See next post).
I was afraid though that they might invalidate the original routing so I first made sure that if an illegal routing was ticketed it would not be cancelled, which he confirmed. There was also a potential issue that despite seeing 2 seats on ANA, and agent changing one itinerary first, that the second seat could go, + being unable to get original routing back.

So 2 pax, no change fee, no extra tax, + an extra F segment^
Also transitting a higher priced region.
However despite changing both pax, they managed to xxxx it, as they gave GF same day connection LX ZRH-OSL, I however got a full stopover ( 33 hours) flying ZRH-OSL the day after. An illegal an unwanted stopover. I first discovered when checking seats with LX. Called US, and agent claimed she had to check availability on all segments (which of course werent there). I told her its 100% sure she could change one segment, which she denied and claimed she had been doing this for years. I even asked her to check tickethistory as it had been previously modified for segments only (after issuing- for free). She was very certain it was not possible and I made her please check with an supervisor. It got sorted, no fee.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I just had reservations tell me I couldn't use my dividend miles to book an award flight on united because "This are us airways account, you can only use to book us airways flights".

Try 2- "That date is a "Blacked Out" date, no travel is possible on that date with your miles."

Try 3- (got an american this time) "Sorry, I'm not seeing any flights on continental or united. Those flights book up fast. They make a certain number of seats available to us, and when they're gone, they're gone."

Last edited by oopsz; Jun 8, 2010 at 2:06 pm
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
Try 2- "That date is a "Blacked Out" date, no travel is possible on that date with your miles."
Not that this wasn't a false response as long as you saw UA availability via ANA. However, you are at mercy of blackout dates the partners may have. There are some time periods in the summer that you cannot book *A awards on OZ, for example. But of course when this is the case there simply won't be any availability listed on ANA for OZ.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:08 pm

UA doesn't have blackout dates.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,1146,00.html

I'm seeing availability on ANA and continental.com. I just can't find an agent willing to look up the flights.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
UA doesn't have blackout dates.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,1360,1146,00.html

I'm seeing availability on ANA and continental.com. I just can't find an agent willing to look up the flights.
Just keep trying. For every time I've struck gold on the first call there's been another instance I've had to try 5 or 6 times before finding an amenable agent who either knows the system or will let me walk him/her through what I want.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG, BA
I'm sure I read on here not too long ago about TG's schedule ...

Basically I'm looking for a BKK-LHR in April 2011, but looking at it, there is no availability after 1st Jan 2011.

Usually there is ALWAYS TG F available.

So .. is it because the schedules haven't been loaded yet?
Interestingly, there is plenty of LHR-BKK showing??

Last edited by United_Flyer3; Jun 8, 2010 at 3:04 pm
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Just keep trying. For every time I've struck gold on the first call there's been another instance I've had to try 5 or 6 times before finding an amenable agent who either knows the system or will let me walk him/her through what I want.
Fifth time was the charm. Amazing. If I didn't know to call back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.