Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Originally Posted by uva185
[SIZE=1]I tried to book IAD-FRA-EZE and was basically laughed at....
I'd laugh at you too. Flexible / barely enforced rules are awesome but that's seriously pushing it. Can't blame you for trying, of course.

The only "out of the way" one I think should be permitted would be North America - South Pacific awards via Asia. Thankfully US permits this. What would also be awesome would be something like JFK-GRU-AKL if it actually existed, all on JJ.
In my defense all the N America to S America flights did not have any F/C availability but LH had plenty.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gsforfree
For those that are interested, LH A380 availability is wide open in January FRA-NRT and NRT-FRA (many other months).
I'd love to try the A380 F! Looks really nice.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Well, I'm beginning to like US! Reserved 4 US-Asia F tips today (including NRT-FRA vv on the LH A380). Got two bad agents, third time was a charm. ^

Who would have thought that LH would open up that many A380 F seats so early in the game (availability was O2 for most of the flights I was looking at).
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by jpdx
Who would have thought that LH would open up that many A380 F seats so early in the game (availability was O2 for most of the flights I was looking at).
Just this week I booked the LH A380 in F for a trip over Labor Day weekend. There was availability over a span of several days around the holiday.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
For those that are interested, LH A380 availability is wide open in January FRA-NRT and NRT-FRA (many other months).
But there is no availability on F on the 380 that LH operates in and out of Beijing...
interesting and strange!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
deleted

deleted

Last edited by gottaluvNW; Jun 12, 2010 at 3:43 am Reason: deleted
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:41 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
If you are talking about first class, it's certainly worth trying it. But for their "new" business class seats, that's a different story.

They are not lie flat but angled and you will be in a huge cabin together with (up to) 97 other business class passengers.

More info about the new LH C/F on the A380 here: Link (last couple of pages).
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:57 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, GP DIAMOND
Hi guys and experts, I'd like to book 2 F tix VCE>NYC, I'd like to try TK via IST on the outbound and the amazing LX service on the inbound segment via ZRH.
I just tried with a Usair european rep that told me that is not allowed via IST(???) 'cause we have to book the direct way, so via FRA... Is this flase, isn't it???
thanks Max
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by meecks
Hi guys and experts, I'd like to book 2 F tix VCE>NYC, I'd like to try TK via IST on the outbound and the amazing LX service on the inbound segment via ZRH.
I just tried with a Usair european rep that told me that is not allowed via IST(???) 'cause we have to book the direct way, so via FRA... Is this flase, isn't it???
thanks Max
well.... YMMV - I would call back and try again.

Also - try a call centre in the USA if you can.

However - for the particular date you are looking for enter in the routing via the staralliance search tool (star alliance site). If VCE-IST-NYC comes up there as a valid option you should be fine.

Sometimes however your particular chosen routing will not show. In that case you can generally take it anyway, but they might want to consider the transit point as a stopover, as happened to me once.

Also note that sometimes allowed routings can be direction specific. So my ZRH-BKK-PVG was not allowed (without a stop), but PVG-BKK-ZRH WAS allowed. And that was reflected in the star booking tool.

Best case: ring again and see how it goes.
Worst Case: maybe make IST a stopover.
Even worse case (although not so bad): fly via FRA
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Deleted.

Last edited by uva185; Jun 12, 2010 at 10:59 am
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Strange. ANA is showing no F on most of Jan's FRA-NRT flights. Gone already?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by adamak
Could be. The way back should be there, though.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
The strangest thing just happened....

I was undercharged mileage!

Booked a J * award to Africa and, looking at my account, i was only charged 100k instead of 110k. Perhaps it was just the universe righting itself after i spent more than half an hour on the phone just to ticket an itinerary after reserved...

Should I use these miles (burn baby, burn!) or will the miles eventually get pulled from my account at some future point after an audit?

Just want to ensure that under no circumstances will my J ticket be canceled. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by adamak
I don't think they sold all these seats -when I checked yesterday, availability was showing O2 for pretty much every day in January-, but they probably realized that they'd rather try to sell these seats before they start giving them away. In any case, your observation is correct; according to the ANA tool, there now aren't any FRA-NRT-FRA F award seats on the A380 in January.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
deleted

Last edited by haricharan; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.