Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by longleaf
Where on *Alliance.com do you search to find out if a particular airport is a hub for a carrier.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/spanair/
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, THIS is interesting.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/about...r-new-zealand/

Hubs: Auckland, Los Angeles, Hong Kong
So you could do a (legal) stopover in HKG if you flew NZ on LHR-HKG, or LAX if you flew NZ LHR-LAX. Fascinating.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Not the first time this has been mentioned in this thread
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by stefg1007
As of June 1st, youre only allowed one stopover per iten. But yes, if you book an award ticket to Asia, you are allowed one stopover. Not sure if theyll let you have that stopover in your originating award region.
Do the new rules as of June allow for a stopover on an open jaw?

BNE-LAX stop
LAX-MEX destination and open jaw (cruise)
MCO-BNE

Originally Posted by stefg1007
On my recent award tix, i was told 8 segments total are allowed per iten.
Thanks, should be able to get the return for 3 segs max.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tiki
Do the new rules as of June allow for a stopover on an open jaw?

BNE-LAX stop
LAX-MEX destination and open jaw (cruise)
MCO-BNE

Thanks, should be able to get the return for 3 segs max.
I don't think you'll get a stop over and open jaw.
From the membership guide:

6.Open jaw travel is not permitted when an en route stopover is included in the award itinerary. Open jaw travel is defined as flying to a city and returning from a different city on a valid routing having one common city. The distance between the two open jaw cities cannot exceed the distance of the outbound or return trip. This may include certain itinerary restrictions. Check with the booking agent when making reservations.

You might be able to convince an agent that this does not apply to partner award travel b/c it is not specifically addressed immediately below that section, but I doubt it.
Best of luck.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
BNE-DFW via Europe ?

I am looking at routes from BNE-DFW I cant find availability in C for trans Pacific routes but I can get there if I travel via Europe.

I have found the following BNE-BKK-FRA-DFW destination DFW-FRA-BHX stop BHX-FRA-BKK-BNE all in C.

Would this route be valid ? as it is going the long way round ?

Thanks
Ian
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
As always:
give US a call to book it.
if an agent says it is invalid, hang up and try again. this time tell the agent the previous one gave you these specific flights, you thought it over, decided to ticket!

its bound to work!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
Is it possible to fly Europe - South Asia via North Asia?
Either without or with Stopover?

For example: FRA-NRT-BKK or FRA-ICN-SIN ?

Europe-South Asia is 110k miles in F, Europe-North Asia is 100k miles in F.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by adamak
xxx - FRA - MAD (stop) - FRA - Asia (destination)

Is Madrid a valid stopover in this route? Not sure if I can travel westward after connecting through FRA.
It sounds from the routing you quoted like Madrid isn't a stopover per se, but an actual side trip. If you could actually go from MAD to your Asian destination, then FRA-MAD would likely be seen as a positioning flight for the transcontinental flight. FRA-MAD-FRA is really unlikely to be allowed. On the other hand, you could have a stopover in FRA and buy a quick FRA-MAD-FRA turnaround on Lufthansa.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by JanoS-
Is it possible to fly Europe - South Asia via North Asia?
Either without or with Stopover?

For example: FRA-NRT-BKK or FRA-ICN-SIN ?

Europe-South Asia is 110k miles in F, Europe-North Asia is 100k miles in F.
Yes you can fly to BKK via NRT or ICN. But then it will cost you 110k miles.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by pogonation
TK F has poor service from all my experiences with them. You are also entering yourself into a massive aircraft lottery where there is a high probability you will end up in a crappy business seat on an A340 on the day of travel. Also it means a nice long flight in intra-europe business .

I have flown TK F 4 times now and I would much rather take any *A alternative in F with the exception of US airlines.
Ive read the thread on TK equipment change. It seems some of the F routes have higher priority though. As I remember I didnt see changes on the IST-NRT route. In any case this is also why I put in a stopover in IST, as I suppose TK will be willing to move me to a F seat the day before or after in case my original flight is downgraded even if its no awardavailability? Even with a last minute change, I would rather extend my IST stay 1 night.

LX is known to have better soft product, but the TK suites are clearly better than LX A343.

Originally Posted by pogonation
If you were given a stopover which you didn't ask for then you can ask them to remove it without charging the change fee.
If you were given an extra stopover which you asked for but meant the number of stopovers on the itinerary exceeded the allowed number then you may be able to get it changed without paying the fee.
With either of these 2 scenarios you will not be able to re-route or change carriers (although possibly if you manage to remove the stopover and your onward flight for the new date has no availability).

If you have had an invalid routing ticketed then as far as they will be concerned it won't be ''invalid'' as it was ticketed. If you want to make changes to it then they will most likely charge you the fee.

Hope that helps ^
Yep, only want to reduce the 30 hour stopover to a layover. Either with same routing or doing LX instead of TK if no availability.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by bitnapper
Yes you can fly to BKK via NRT or ICN. But then it will cost you 110k miles.
Only if it's a stopover.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Not to scare everyone, but some has posted that she and her family are being investigated by US for fraud and had their award bookings cancelled after they took advantage of the cheap-miles promos. See here. Maybe someone can help.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
So connection without stopover FRA-NRT-BKK is forbidden, but with stop in Tokyo it is OK?
And because I can have only one stopover, it forces me to fly FRA-NRT-BKK and return directly BKK-FRA. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:54 am

Just booked South Pacific - North Asia F award 120K points plus $200 taxes/fees.

SYD-BKK-FRA-DME and LED-MUC-BKK-SYD
SYD-FRA and MUC -SYD is TG F
FRA-DME and LED-MUC is LH C

30 minutes on phone, no hassles (I had used KVS to work out route and availability - agent thanked me for making it so easy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.