Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, for booking awards, is it possible to use the 3 day hold to piece together an itinerary where you want to grab initial segments at T-330, and then stitch together the itinerary as you go along for the intended length of the trip? Or must the beginning AND the end of the trip be within T-330?

Basically, I'd grab a SEA-SFO(UA)-NRT(NH)-ICN(OZ) leg first, keep tweaking the itinerary for my ICN layover (which is actually going to mostly be me burning 30K CO miles I got for less than $100 flying ICN-BKK-HKG-ICN in J), then grab ICN-Europe-TXL, (destination- it's worth 5K US miles/$75 for me not to have to screw with getting from FRA to TXL by doing it as a US-Europe award instead of US-North Asia with Europe stopover, plus I COULD fly other airlines to Europe if I wanted instead of just LH/LX) then tweak a bit more while keeping the itinerary on hold until it was time to grab TXL-FRA-SEA(LH).

Or will US leave the award open while I wait for the return dates WITHOUT me having to call in every 3 days to "mess" with it?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, for booking awards, is it possible to use the 3 day hold to piece together an itinerary where you want to grab initial segments at T-330, and then stitch together the itinerary as you go along for the intended length of the trip? Or must the beginning AND the end of the trip be within T-330?

Basically, I'd grab a SEA-SFO(UA)-NRT(NH)-ICN(OZ) leg first, keep tweaking the itinerary for my ICN layover (which is actually going to mostly be me burning 30K CO miles I got for less than $100 flying ICN-BKK-HKG-ICN in J), then grab ICN-Europe-TXL, (destination- it's worth 5K US miles/$75 for me not to have to screw with getting from FRA to TXL by doing it as a US-Europe award instead of US-North Asia with Europe stopover, plus I COULD fly other airlines to Europe if I wanted instead of just LH/LX) then tweak a bit more while keeping the itinerary on hold until it was time to grab TXL-FRA-SEA(LH).

Or will US leave the award open while I wait for the return dates WITHOUT me having to call in every 3 days to "mess" with it?
You can put on hold anything that is a valid award at the time of the hold. One-ways are permitted (by paying the full price) so it is possible to do what you are suggesting (if I understand you correctly).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I am sort of meaning "Do I have to call back in every 3 days to mess with the itinerary I have so far to keep it alive, or can I just tell US that I'll book the other parts of my itinerary when T-330 becomes valid?"

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 1, 2010 at 12:43 pm Reason: dang it, MI is not a *A airline. :(
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:57 pm

Well, I am sort of meaning "Do I have to call back in every 3 days to mess with the itinerary I have so far to keep it alive, or can I just tell US that I'll book the other parts of my itinerary when T-330 becomes valid?"
You must call every three days should you want to play the game of re-booking an itinerary repeatedly.

At the stated expiration time, your itinerary expires.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamiegutz
Hi,

Can someone confirm the number of miles needed to go from Singapore to Australia on a DM *A redemption - looking at the award chart from South Asia to South Pacific it is 120k - which seems excessive??

Can anyone confirm?

J
All Asia to S. Pacific:

Y: 70K
C: 90K
F: 120K
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must call every three days should you want to play the game of re-booking an itinerary repeatedly.

At the stated expiration time, your itinerary expires.
I don't REALLY want to do that. What I want is to make sure my F seats for the start of my trip aren't booked out from under me while I'm waiting for the END of my trip to come within the T-330 window. But if that's the only way to do it...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:12 pm

Sorry -- a real rookie question. Can I call US to check and hold a *A award if my account doesn't have adequate miles at the time I call for the award? I'm considering taking advantage of the new US gift/buy promo, but don't want to pull the trigger until I know what I want is available.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by lkar
Sorry -- a real rookie question. Can I call US to check and hold a *A award if my account doesn't have adequate miles at the time I call for the award? I'm considering taking advantage of the new US gift/buy promo, but don't want to pull the trigger until I know what I want is available.
Yes, no problems with this whatsoever.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: US,PC
Hi,

Could some expert clarify how to keep taxes down. I have recently paid 300$ taxes for ROA-DEL(connecting through CLT-FRA). The combination was mix of LH and US. I think 300$ is pretty high.

Thanks for help,

Dracs
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:25 pm

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by lkar
Be aware that bought miles don't post until the next week, so you may lose a held itinerary waiting for the miles.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by gsforfree
Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Be aware that bought miles don't post until the next week, so you may lose a held itinerary waiting for the miles.
They post instantly for the vast majority of purchasers.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I don't REALLY want to do that. What I want is to make sure my F seats for the start of my trip aren't booked out from under me while I'm waiting for the END of my trip to come within the T-330 window. But if that's the only way to do it...
That's the only way to do it. But then again, your first class seats may not reappear in the award bucket, if the rest of the cabin has filled up!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'll have some parts of the itinerary I don't care about so much (for instance, SEA-SFO seems to be nearly impossible to get in F, but who cares, it's a 90 minute flight, I'll tough it out in coach to fly NH F instead of taking UA F to NRT out of SEA- and I can pick from several flights).
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
I just booked 2 first award tickets...

7/3 IAD>FRA - LH 747 - 2 First Seats
7/4 FRA>IST - LH A321 - 2 Business Seats (no First)
7/6 IST>NRT - TK 777 - 2 First Suites
7/8 NRT>PVG - CA 777 - 2 coach seats (will watch for better)

7/11 PVG>FRA - CA A340 - 2 First Seats
7/11 FRA>DUS - LH 737 - 2 Business Seats
7/12 DUS>YYZ - LH A333 - 2 First Seats
7/12 YYZ>IAD - UA CRJ - Coach ;(

I was charged 120,000 miles each plus taxes just over $150 each and $50 fee each - booked on two separate bookings. I'm excited to try the Turkish 777 First Suite (as long as they don't switch equipment).
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:27 pm

On NZ 747 with 3 classes -- economy, premium economy, and lie flat premier business -- what US *A reward level is required to book premier business? Is it business or first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.