Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
By a glitch Ive been given a stopover I was not supposed to.

Do you think I could change that (or even an "invalid" routing) back to something valid without the change fee?

As it seems that would suit me better now.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by travelkid
Then you as well do TK F with the same suite. Better availability, especially for more pax + IST is a more interesting stopover.

Im travelling from OSL my self to ICN in june and to NRT in july. Same dates?
If so your on the guestlist at my birthdayparty at HR Tokyo july 9. I requested a suite good for partying;-)

Anyone else, just PM
TK F has poor service from all my experiences with them. You are also entering yourself into a massive aircraft lottery where there is a high probability you will end up in a crappy business seat on an A340 on the day of travel. Also it means a nice long flight in intra-europe business .

I have flown TK F 4 times now and I would much rather take any *A alternative in F with the exception of US airlines.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
By a glitch Ive been given a stopover I was not supposed to.

Do you think I could change that (or even an "invalid" routing) back to something valid without the change fee?

As it seems that would suit me better now.
If you were given a stopover which you didn't ask for then you can ask them to remove it without charging the change fee.
If you were given an extra stopover which you asked for but meant the number of stopovers on the itinerary exceeded the allowed number then you may be able to get it changed without paying the fee.
With either of these 2 scenarios you will not be able to re-route or change carriers (although possibly if you manage to remove the stopover and your onward flight for the new date has no availability).

If you have had an invalid routing ticketed then as far as they will be concerned it won't be ''invalid'' as it was ticketed. If you want to make changes to it then they will most likely charge you the fee.

Hope that helps ^
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:36 am

I wanted to book the following ticket

Zrh-LHR(stop)-Dus-CDG(dest)-zrh

An agent came back, that it will not be possible because of the following rule

2.Stopovers are not permitted when travel is within one award region or for multi-city travel.

Is this rule always enforced? or will most agents not know about it and i can get this ticketed?

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
There are many things that get ticketed outside of the US Airways rules. That's because routing validation isn't done automatically. There aren't THAT many rules, compared to some programs. And the ones that DO exist aren't always clearly spelled out or communicated well to agents.

You can always keep trying call center hang up/call back to see if someone will ticket an itinerary, but understand the more clearly than before even things like 2 stopovers aren't actually permitted. You might slip something like an extra stopover, or a stopover within a single geographic region, by an agent. But it's not yours by right...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by moebod

2.Stopovers are not permitted when travel is within one award region or for multi-city travel.

Is this rule always enforced? or will most agents not know about it and i can get this ticketed?

Thanks
From my experience they usually enforce this rule. Most agents seem to know about it. Although personally I would have thought you would have had more problems with the massive backtracking issue on your proposed routing.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by moebod

Thanks
Does that mean 2 stopovers are ok if you are stopping in Europe and Asia?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As of June 1st, youre only allowed one stopover per iten. But yes, if you book an award ticket to Asia, you are allowed one stopover. Not sure if theyll let you have that stopover in your originating award region.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On my recent award tix, i was told 8 segments total are allowed per iten.

Originally Posted by Tiki
How many segments can you have to reach a destination? I may need up to 5 for BNE-MEX in C.

BNE-BKK or SIN
BKK or SIN-ICN
ICN-LAX
LAX-PHX
PHX-MEX

OZ seems to be wide open for April 21 or 22 but nothing on SQ or BKK. NZ is only avalibale in Y and for once in my life I want to try C/J class since I got all those miles from the recent promos.

TG hasn't loaded flights at all past 23 March.

This will be an open jaw with return LAX-BNE.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
xxx - FRA - MAD (stop) - FRA - Asia (destination)

Is Madrid a valid stopover in this route? Not sure if I can travel westward after connecting through FRA.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:38 pm

Is the following a valid award booking under the new rules

Depart LAX to ZRH to LHR stay at LHR for 4 days

Depart LHR to FRA to BKK destination is BKK for 2 weeks
Return to LAX

thank you
(not sure what happened on this formatting)
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
xxx - FRA - MAD (stop) - FRA - Asia (destination)

Is Madrid a valid stopover in this route? Not sure if I can travel westward after connecting through FRA.
You might try flying the FRA-MAD leg on JK and then arguing that MAD is a hub for them, but JK's true hub in Spain is BCN, not MAD, so this might not work (depends on how closely the CS rep is paying attention). (The problem that's more likely to trip you up is the "all stopovers must be in a ticketed partner's hub" rule).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You might try flying the FRA-MAD leg on JK and then arguing that MAD is a hub for them, but JK's true hub in Spain is BCN, not MAD, so this might not work (depends on how closely the CS rep is paying attention). (The problem that's more likely to trip you up is the "all stopovers must be in a ticketed partner's hub" rule).
*A.com says MAD is a JK hub too.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, then, smooth sailing, eh?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
*A.com says MAD is a JK hub too.
Where on *Alliance.com do you search to find out if a particular airport is a hub for a carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.