Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Tiki
Do you mean where I said "Day layover"? I was using the term for lack of a better one to mean I arrive in an airport in the early morning like 0600 or 0700 and fly out the same evening, usually after 1800 so it means I have roughly a day to run around and see some of the highlights of the city. These are always less than 24 hours so don't count as a stopover. There are no stopovers in the itinerary I want, just the open jaw between MEX and LAX. We will need a one-way ticket from MCO-LAX but will use AA miles for that one or maybe a super cheap paid US ticket.
Yup - I did get confused between the two!

Give them a call and see if you can book your planned itinerary - but just a word of warning that even though you may have a layover of less than 24 hours that doesn't mean it won't be calculated as a stopover anyway - especially if you aren't doing an itinerary involving the most direct route.

If you go to the staralliance website and enter in BNE-LAX you will see it ONLY offers AirNZ via AKL. Even if I break it down to BNE-BKK, then search BKK-LAX, it doesn't route via ICN.

This MAY prevent the computer from autopricing, and it MAY be considereda stopover even if less than 24 hours.

I had the same problem wanting to fly Zurich-Bkk-Shanghai. I couldn't go via BKK with an overnight (but only 18 hour) connection because ZRH-BKK-PVG didn't show on the star booking site as a valid route. It DID on the return (go figure) but not on the outbound. So because it wasn't a valid routing they said I could only do it IF I counted BKK as a stopover (even though ti was 18 hours).

So give it a shot - and certainly the only certainty is uncertinty when it comes to allowable routings via the US call centre.

Just if they come back with a 'can't do' you might have to get rid of the open jaw. Or find a connection which is recognised via the star booking engine. YMMV
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Yup - I did get confused between the two!

Give them a call and see if you can book your planned itinerary - but just a word of warning that even though you may have a layover of less than 24 hours that doesn't mean it won't be calculated as a stopover anyway - especially if you aren't doing an itinerary involving the most direct route.

If you go to the staralliance website and enter in BNE-LAX you will see it ONLY offers AirNZ via AKL. Even if I break it down to BNE-BKK, then search BKK-LAX, it doesn't route via ICN.

This MAY prevent the computer from autopricing, and it MAY be considereda stopover even if less than 24 hours.

I had the same problem wanting to fly Zurich-Bkk-Shanghai. I couldn't go via BKK with an overnight (but only 18 hour) connection because ZRH-BKK-PVG didn't show on the star booking site as a valid route. It DID on the return (go figure) but not on the outbound. So because it wasn't a valid routing they said I could only do it IF I counted BKK as a stopover (even though ti was 18 hours).

So give it a shot - and certainly the only certainty is uncertinty when it comes to allowable routings via the US call centre.

Just if they come back with a 'can't do' you might have to get rid of the open jaw. Or find a connection which is recognised via the star booking engine. YMMV
In my experience, US doesn't care about what is a valid routing and what isn't - unless you get a particularly geography-conscious agent. I did DEL-ICN(stop)-IST-JFK-SFO as a way of getting back to SFO. Clearly, ICN is way out of the way. And DEL-IST direct way available on my dates - so mine was a very indirect routing.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by gleff
Any recent experiences crossing one ocean each direction US-Asia?

As we know, an Atlantic or Pacific routing is permitted.

What I'm wondering is can I reserve an Atlantic crossing on the outbound, Pacific crossing on the return?
I just ticketed HKG-oMUC-ORD-oPDX-LAX-oICN-HKG in LH/OZ F (and UA F domestic) for 120k miles and $108 in taxes. Had the most wonderful agent and the entire transaction took 13 minutes 28 seconds (according to my phone). ^
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
I had a very similar experience, though I booked in Biz (not F). Like has been mentioned 1,358,509,438 times in this forum, ymmv. It's all about getting the right person on the phone.

AND... When you do get the right one on the phone, don't even THINK about saying, "OK. I'll call back to ticket later. You sure this is going to be here?" Their response, "of course, it's all blocked off." Only to find out when you call back that of course your masterpiece itinerary was invalid and the new less ameanable rep. will be the first to not only tell you so, but to cancel the res. and NOT ticket it.

Anyways, some personal experience. I will be flying out on 7/18 on the following itin. (as I think I mentioned before):
PHL-LAX-BKK-ZHR-LIS-FCO-PHL. Though it was ticketed, I have been wondering to myself, is this technically a "kosher" itinerary?

Just food for thought...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Redeposit refud...

I recently changed a ticket from lowly econ to biz on a TG fligh for july. The agent charged my 500 (for two tickets) for redepositing the miles, to then rebook in biz.

Is there a way to call up and ask for a 200 dollar refund!?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by ariyo15
I recently changed a ticket from lowly econ to biz on a TG fligh for july. The agent charged my 500 (for two tickets) for redepositing the miles, to then rebook in biz.

In that case they really did have to reissue the ticket as you ticketed an economy ticket .

If you had issued a Business Class ticket from the start but were seating in Coach then if Business Class seats opened up at a later date you could call and move up to one of those seats without re-issuing the ticket.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 2:40 am

Programs: big pimpin'
Wirelessly posted (sam-r560 UP.Browser/6.2.3.8 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Having a problem booking a Turkish Air flight from IST-EBB. search on ANA shows availability but multiple US Air agents don't see the flight at all, anyday in any class--as if it doesn't exist. What should i do?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by uva185
In that case they really did have to reissue the ticket as you ticketed an economy ticket .

If you had issued a Business Class ticket from the start but were seating in Coach then if Business Class seats opened up at a later date you could call and move up to one of those seats without re-issuing the ticket.
I think he's saying that he was overcharged since the redeposit fee is only $150 and not $250. It depends when he made this change, but it sounds to me like they overcharged him. Try to call customer service and explain the situation.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.699 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by chewy3
Originally Posted by uva185

I think he's saying that he was overcharged since the redeposit fee is only $150 and not $250. It depends when he made this change, but it sounds to me like they overcharged him. Try to call customer service and explain the situation.
Whoops!! That's what I get for reading FT at 3:30am.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:19 am

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by gleff
Any recent experiences crossing one ocean each direction US-Asia?

As we know, an Atlantic or Pacific routing is permitted.

What I'm wondering is can I reserve an Atlantic crossing on the outbound, Pacific crossing on the return?
Yes. Less than 30 days ago (I don't remember the exact date) I booked:

JFK-FRA-CDG-BKK-PEK
Dest
HKG-NRT
Stop
NRT-ORD-EWR
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: US,PC
Originally Posted by ariyo15

You should ask for refund, I was charged 190$ extra in taxes which I came to know while booking another award ticket. Agent told me to fill a form and send a complaint using contact us from US airways. I have sent request just yesterday so waiting for the reply.

Fees changed from 250 to 150 effective May 1
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by abcx
This is a good idea. We should start compiling a list of agents who are "good" and times when they work.
This idea is both irresponsible (first names are quite common) and against the guidelines of FT prohibiting posting names of airline personnel, other than publicly known figures.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by gsforfree
This idea is both irresponsible (first names are quite common) and against the guidelines of FT prohibiting posting names of airline personnel, other than publicly known figures.
Surely first name and/or last initial can't be that bad?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abcx
Surely first name and/or last initial can't be that bad?
Do you usually ask for the agent's last name so you could post the last initial? I don't...
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:37 pm

A couple of quick questions

1. I booked my first DM award on Friday (TG F) but have not had any confirmation email yet. How long does it usually take?

2. Check my trip only shows 5 of 6 legs booked, the first is missing. Rang US air yesterday who assured me first leg was confirmed. When should I start to panic? Should I ring US again or ring Thai?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.