Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Question to US experts :

I'm looking to book ORD(UA)-->FRA(TG)-->BKK(TG)-->HKG and return with US miles.

Am I right in thinking :

1 - I can have a stopover in BKK but not in FRA

2 - Whole itin should be priced @ 120k for F, since the final destination is North Asia. It passes trough South & Central Asia which is priced at 160k trough...

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by nick5000
I booked a trip China - Japan - Australia - China on NH and TG for my friend, and I wasn't aware that they would ask for her birthdate. I got it one year wrong.
Do I have to call back to fix this, or will they update it at check-in at the airport?

The trip doesn't involve flights to the US, is this information also required for tickets other places?
Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter and will be updated at the airport. The name is the only thing that matters!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Question to US experts :

I'm looking to book ORD(UA)-->FRA(TG)-->BKK(TG)-->HKG and return with US miles.

Am I right in thinking :

1 - I can have a stopover in BKK but not in FRA

2 - Whole itin should be priced @ 120k for F, since the final destination is North Asia. It passes trough South & Central Asia which is priced at 160k trough...

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante.
1. No, you are NOT right in thinking that you cannot have a stopover in FRA. FRA would be a legitimate stopover on that itinerary, as a *A hub/US international destination.

2. If you stay longer than 24 hours at both BKK and HKG, your destination is BKK, not HKG- HKG is a stopover. So it should price at 160K. This being US, however, they could price it incorrectly. They also might have issues with a routing where you come back through your destination (BKK) after a stopover (but it's US, their routing rules are quite random)- but routing ORD-FRA-BKK(dest)-HKG(stop)-ICN-ORD with the return to the USA on OZ, for instance, should work just fine).
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
1. No, you are NOT right in thinking that you cannot have a stopover in FRA. FRA would be a legitimate stopover on that itinerary, as a *A hub/US international destination.
Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that I I can only have a stop in a *A hub if I arrive on the *A carrier that operates this hub ? For example, arriving to FRA on LH would allow me to have a stop but arriving on UA would not. Am I wrong here ?

2. If you stay longer than 24 hours at both BKK and HKG, your destination is BKK, not HKG- HKG is a stopover. So it should price at 160K. This being US, however, they could price it incorrectly. They also might have issues with a routing where you come back through your destination (BKK) after a stopover (but it's US, their routing rules are quite random)- but routing ORD-FRA-BKK(dest)-HKG(stop)-ICN-ORD with the return to the USA on OZ, for instance, should work just fine).
This is an interesting routing. I must say that I dislike OZ and find it a very bland and "boring" airline but still it's an option.

So should I do ORD(UA)-->(stop allowed?)FRA(TG)-->BKK(TG)-->HKG and return -again with a stop in FRA,this time arriving to FRA @ TG, of course- this would price @ 120k for F return ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that I I can only have a stop in a *A hub if I arrive on the *A carrier that operates this hub ? For example, arriving to FRA on LH would allow me to have a stop but arriving on UA would not. Am I wrong here ?
Generally, this rule is not enforced, and FRA also counts as a "US international destination". I don't see that it should be a problem.

There's also the possibility of routing through LH/MUC on inbound or outbound with a leg on LH to comply with the "rule".

This is is an interesting routing. I must say that I dislike OZ and find it a very bland and "boring" airline but still it's an option.
Compared to UA?

You have legitimate routing options on OZ, NH and CA. CA's new 77W hard product looks interesting, OZ's new 777 hard product looks good too.

So should I do ORD(UA)-->(stop allowed?)FRA(TG)-->BKK(TG)-->HKG and return -again with a stop in FRA,this time arriving to FRA @ TG, of course- this would price @ 120k for F return ?
Assuming you do not stay in BKK for longer than 24 hours and you have ONE and only one stopover in FRA (that's all you get with US), it should price at 120K.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:21 pm

Generally, this rule is not enforced, and FRA also counts as a "US international destination". I don't see that it should be a problem.

There's also the possibility of routing through LH/MUC on inbound or outbound with a leg on LH to comply with the "rule".
That's a good idea - LH/MUC would cover it. Thanks

Compared to UA?

You have legitimate routing options on OZ, NH and CA. CA's new 77W hard product looks interesting, OZ's new 777 hard product looks good too.
Compared to TG . UA F is possibly the worst I been ever - and I been in MS F

Thanks for spelling the options - I'd like NH but prefer to avoid any NRT connections this days. Too much risk of radioactive catering for my taste
CA F is not too terrible, but I prefer to avoid CA for long haul due to unruly pax that crews are to scared to deal with.

Assuming you do not stay in BKK for longer than 24 hours and you have ONE and only one stopover in FRA (that's all you get with US), it should price at 120K.
Guess I'll go with ORD(UA)-->FRA-STOP-(TG)-->BKK(TG)-->HKG and same on return,abeit without the stop in FRA

Thanks again !

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Compared to TG . UA F is possibly the worst I been ever - and I been in MS F
Thanks for spelling the options - I'd like NH but prefer to avoid any NRT connections this days. Too much risk of radioactive catering for my taste
CA F is not too terrible, but I prefer to avoid CA for long haul due to unruly pax that crews are to scared to deal with.
Wouldn't it be better, if you just would stay at home?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
We flew IAD-LHR-BKK-DPS [destination-7 days] DPS-BKK-CDG [stop - 3 days]-LHR-PHL with no problems
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Does this work?

Looking at the following redemption in Business:

YVR-YYZ-LHR-VIE (5 or 6 day stopover) - IST-KIX OR NRT (destination 7 or 8 days)-YVR

This should qualify as a 90K miles business North Asia reward as LHR-VIE will be on OS.

Can I also get a stopover in ICN if I fly KIX or NRT-ICN on OZ and then ICN-YVR?

Thanks,
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tobegold
Looking at the following redemption in Business:

YVR-YYZ-LHR-VIE (5 or 6 day stopover) - IST-KIX OR NRT (destination 7 or 8 days)-YVR

This should qualify as a 90K miles business North Asia reward as LHR-VIE will be on OS.

Can I also get a stopover in ICN if I fly KIX or NRT-ICN on OZ and then ICN-YVR?

Thanks,
Just one stopover...
And rumor has it that awards are trending to price out according to the most expensive region stopped over; but YMMV....

FDW
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I made my 19th redemption a few weeks ago for my Europe trip in C this coming summer - BOS-IST-TIA-LJU(stop)-VIE-DBV(dest)-ATH-SKG-IST-LGA(stop)-BOS. At least 18 hours in each transit. I will be very sad indeed if US leaves *A/devalues.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
After booking mixed-class award, can you upgrade once seat is available?

If you book an international partner award: Leg 1 in First, Leg 2 in Business, then you get charged for a First class roundtrip award.

If Leg 2 opens up in First, can you switch from Biz to First without incurring any fees?

(AA allows you to do so w/o fees.--In fact, this two-step approach is usually the best way to secure two FC awards on the same flight.)
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:42 am

Impossible routing?

Hi,

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but it is USAirways, so who knows...

Has anyone ever tried/been successful booking a Europe to Australia (via South Africa AND Asia)) award in recent times?

I await with bated breath...

Cheers
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:06 am

IS THIS A HELPLESS SITUATION??

I have approx. 600k US air miles and would like to go bos or pvd Tokyo Biz class in June 2014 with 4 other people. Is it even possible to get 5 people together on biz award ticket to that destination??

If so what would likely be routing that may have a better chance of successful results.

thanks in advance for your replies

Last edited by wordsew; Nov 5, 2013 at 8:43 am Reason: addrd origination
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QFBoy
Hi,

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but it is USAirways, so who knows...

Has anyone ever tried/been successful booking a Europe to Australia (via South Africa AND Asia)) award in recent times?

I await with bated breath...

Cheers
If you do the SA JNB-PER flight on one leg and ICN, SIN or BKK on the other, I would think that it might work, but it's not a common itinerary. Why not ring up and see? Worst case is you spend an hour or three on HUACA.

Originally Posted by wordsew
IS THIS A HELPLESS SITUATION??

I have approx. 600k US air miles and would like to go Tokyo Biz class in June 2014 with 4 other people. Is it even possible to get 5 people together on biz award ticket to that destination??

If so what would likely be routing that may have a better chance of successful results.

thanks in advance for your replies
Kind of hard to suggest a routing when you don't specify an origin...

You'll have better luck if you split up your party in 2/3.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 5, 2013 at 8:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.