Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: QF PS, NZ Silver
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
If you've bought miles and they haven't showed up - before really wondering if something went wrong, make sure you're not relying on the total miles in the upper right corner of the US site to dynamically update. Either go to "My Account" and look there at the total, or log out and log back in.

The total in the upper right corner will not update until you log out. The "My Account" details will update without logging out if you refresh the page, however.
Haven't showed up whatsoever in my account; tried logging in and out, different pages, etc.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
This may be obvious to some, not to all. Before you do your mile transactions, verify that your award seats are actually available on the flights you are interested in. Secondly, note that US charges $250 per award ticket change as a fee. Finally, mileage levels go up on January 6 - purchase before this date.

Bottom line - if you are unsure of your EXACT itineraries, its not necessarily a good deal... fees can add up quickly. Finally, what are your liabilities if one of the airlines goes belly up? Are you prepared to risk this?

Good luck!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
This may be obvious to some, not to all. Before you do your mile transactions, verify that your award seats are actually available on the flights you are interested in. Secondly, note that US charges $250 per award ticket change as a fee. Finally, mileage levels go up on January 6 - purchase before this date.

Bottom line - if you are unsure of your EXACT itineraries, its not necessarily a good deal... fees can add up quickly. Finally, what are your liabilities if one of the airlines goes belly up? Are you prepared to risk this?

Good luck!
All very good points. The change fees and redeposit fees can be especially onerous, so I wouldn't book anything unless I was absolutely certain that I could make the trip and was happy with the routing, or unless I was prepared to spend $250.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by ikura
Just a follow-up on this one:

I called US Airways about the purchase, and spoke to THE most clueless airline/hotel chain/insert-anything-here agent I've ever talked to EVER. I kept repeating that I was missing miles that I bought yesterday, while he was constantly talking jibberish about some confirmation I would get "24 hours before the scheduled flight". He also seemed totally uninterested in helping out, and kept taking long breaks during the call where it seemed like he was just lounging on the other end. Is this the standard of US Airways' representatives?
Originally Posted by mvjs
Haven't showed up whatsoever in my account; tried logging in and out, different pages, etc.
I've had absolute murder with this - bought 50/100k miles and they are "lost" somewhere - although I have a Points.com confirmation number and an authorisation on the Amex card used - albeit no email. US can't search using the Points.com reference and any attempt at speaking with points.com will get you nowhere - they wash their hands of it and tell you to sort it out with the airline. I was quite literally thrown from pillar to post.

I wasted about 7 hours on the phone over the weekend talking to a bunch of absolute cretins who quite frankly talked nothing but rubbish. One told me I should have received an eticket number and a confirmation for my miles purchase!!! one minute I'm being told it'll be resolved within 24hrs, next minute I'm told to wait 10 days for an investigation which was completely unacceptable given the short time frame before departure on the reservation on hold - had to rebook it three times!!. Anyhow, I eventually got through to a supervisor who agreed that if I purchased another 50k, they would refund my credit card if the charge for the first chunk of miles actually hit. Lets see, eh!

Thankfully the second purchase hit straight away and I received a confirmation email unlike first time round and I was able to go ahead and have the reservation ticketed.

Last edited by Boddingtons; Nov 17, 2009 at 11:46 pm
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:15 am

I don't know if this matters, but points.com does not allow transfers INTO a DM account if the zip code doesn't match. This is even true if your account has a 4-digit extension on file, but you only enter a 5-digit zip code for the transfer. Since the Buy/Gift/Share is through points.com, this could be causing someone a problem. I think the same is true for the MagsForMiles program.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:24 pm

Opinions on whether this scenario is worthwhile

Person A has 10k miles that expired and can be reinstated for $100.
Person A shares the 10k miles with person B.
Person B shares 25k miles with person C.
Person C shares 50k miles with person B.

We are all related so there are no issues.

I think the costs are:

Reinstate 100 miles = $100
Share 25k = $280
Share 50k - $530

So net gain of 85k miles for $810 or less than 1 penny / mile (.0095).

We mainly use miles for coach tix in the US and to Europe.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Same problem here...
bought 50/100 miles 8h ago and nothing is on my account... and would like to fly tomorrow from HKG lol...

Called US Airways that told me to call Points.com. Then I wait 9am ET to call Points.com, that tell me right away that there is nothing they can do, even if it says the purchase was processed with Points.com. I have to contact US Airways.

So I called again US Airways, with confirmation number, everything... she tells me that there is nothing she can do, I have to wait 24h and miles will appear on the account.

So right now I am packing but still don't know if I will make it on the flight :-/
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thyeri
Same problem here...
bought 50/100 miles 8h ago and nothing is on my account... and would like to fly tomorrow from HKG lol...

Called US Airways that told me to call Points.com. Then I wait 9am ET to call Points.com, that tell me right away that there is nothing they can do, even if it says the purchase was processed with Points.com. I have to contact US Airways.

So I called again US Airways, with confirmation number, everything... she tells me that there is nothing she can do, I have to wait 24h and miles will appear on the account.

So right now I am packing but still don't know if I will make it on the flight :-/
thyeri - not sure why there is so much inconsistency on miles crediting. Is it possible you have the postal code problem referenced above?

You might also simply try ordering another batch of miles (see Boddingtons' post) in the off chance that they credit immediately.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:55 pm
HCA

Originally Posted by HCA
Has any FTer already MAX the 50k transfer bonus can try to attempt transfer to another account which did not receive bonus to see if the limit is only to receiver?
(Or, already done 40k transfer out and trying for another 20k transfer out..)
I really need to confirm this info before the miles stuck in one of the accounts.

Surely, you can PM me to have the receiver's account to try.

Thanks for the help.
Sign... Finally find out by my own.
It should be no problam for A 40k -> B, A 40k -> C, both B and C should get 40k bonus. Thus the bonus limit is based on the recipients and there is no limit for the one to transfer out.

It cost me $86 to confirm (use more transaction to avoid transfer out limitation). I hope this helps others.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thyeri
Same problem here...

I had the exact same problem but mine was because I had opened my account on Nov 7th and was trying to buy miles on the the 17th (the system wouldn't allow purchase on the 16th but allowed it on the 17th - so I thought I was good to go - had the conf# and everything). I phoned US Air with the conf# but all they said was wait 24 hours and the miles would show - it didn't.

What I find out later was that I should have waited until the 18th to purchase - which I did and everything showed up in the account within minutes.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by fijaircan
What I find out later was that I should have waited until the 18th to purchase - which I did and everything showed up in the account within minutes.
Did you get the bonus miles posted too?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kats
Did you get the bonus miles posted too?
Yes, within minutes.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:09 am

Hi,

read through all the pages and hope I understood everything.
Wanna get enough miles for two First tickets from Europe to SAmerica. Would the following work:

Account A has 43,000 miles

Account A shares 25,000 with Account B = A=18 / B=50
B shares 50 with C = B=0 / C=100
C shares 50 with D = C=50 / D=100
C shares 50 with A = C=0 / A=118

A buys 12 and D buys 30 miles.

Does this work? Appreciate your help!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:21 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Hi,

read through all the pages and hope I understood everything.
Wanna get enough miles for two First tickets from Europe to SAmerica. Would the following work:

Account A has 43,000 miles

Account A shares 25,000 with Account B = A=18 / B=50
B shares 50 with C = B=0 / C=100
C shares 50 with D = C=50 / D=100
C shares 50 with A = C=0 / A=118

A buys 12 and D buys 30 miles.

Does this work? Appreciate your help!
This works but there is currently the bonus on buying miles as well so you would have to buy 6k and 15k as opposed to 12k and 30k ^
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
This works but there is currently the bonus on buying miles as well so you would have to buy 6k and 15k as opposed to 12k and 30k ^
Thanks for the clarification, pogo With all this sharing back and forth and calculating I completely overlooked the bonus miles for the buy transaction. All the better, makes it cheaper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.