Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by thyeri
Ho, and if you don't wanna pay 7.5% tax, it's really easy. Just change your address to Switzerland or another country as long as it is not the US or Canada.

Once the purchase is made you can change your address back to the good one.
That's a good one. That will save a significant amount of money...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Darren
The question I have is whether the 50,000 is cumulative over the buy/gift/share miles or whether it applies individually to each.

The dude in the forum said yes! What is the final conclusion?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Ho, and if you don't wanna pay 7.5% tax, it's really easy. Just change your address to Switzerland or another country as long as it is not the US or Canada.

How does this work? Haven't people had serious problems purchasing with a credit card when then billing addresses of the card and what US has on file don't match?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 4:51 pm

Need advice ...

I have 3 accounts to juggle: A= 10k, B = 14k, C=17k.

I don't really have a trip in mind but was wondering if I could benefit from this promo. I thought of 2 scenarios:

1. A shares 4k with C -> C has 25k Cost =$73
A shares 6k with B -> B has 26k Cost = $94.50
A goes to 0, B and C more than 25k each for a total cost of $167.50

2. B shares 14k with C -> C has 45k Cost = $180.50
C then shares 45k with A -> A has 100k Cost = $513.75
B and C go to 0, A has 100k for a total cost of $694.25

Basically, is it worth it ??? 1 or 2 or any other scenario that would work best with the starting miles I have. What can you get at 25k or 100k thresholds?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by lesenok
Yes, it works. Both B & C will have 100k. I have done it.
+1^
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I purchased some miles 11 hours ago (50k) and they have still to appear in the account.

It says all purchases will be confirmed within 4 hours. Has something gone tits up here? Do I need to contact anyone
Initially, I thought I was having the same problem -- but after logging out of my account and back-in the account mileage was updated accordingly.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:34 am

May I ask when exactly the tax will be removed from the total amount? I am an European member and had around six or seven transactions which all included the sales tax. So I cannot see this working. I might be wrong, though, so I'd like to know how you managed to get around the tax?!

@sfernando & lessnok: Thanks for answering my question
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:24 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Credit Card Used

For anyone who has done this with 2 or more accounts; did the miles purchase transaction have to take place on a credit card of the DM account holder? My kids aren't old enough to have cards...just want to get a sense if anyone has accomplished this successfully.

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Originally Posted by nyc6035
For anyone who has done this with 2 or more accounts; did the miles purchase transaction have to take place on a credit card of the DM account holder? My kids aren't old enough to have cards...just want to get a sense if anyone has accomplished this successfully.

Thanks
It can be any major Credit card. It does not matter.
Ive done it many times. Had to use a diff card when my card went limit-up.

Purchase is processed by points.com
Old Dec 10, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by lesenok
It can be any major Credit card. It does not matter.
Ive done it many times. Had to use a diff card when my card went limit-up.

Purchase is processed by points.com
Great!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've come to the conclusion that this might just be too good of an offer to pass up for a second transaction (a single C ticket to europe for my wife to accompany me on a paid trip). After spending just around $500 to transfer all of my wife's miles to my account to top it up for 2 F tickets to Asia for a vacation, I realize I now have 22k extra miles in my account and am trying to figure out the math on the best way to get 80k miles into her account.

Option 1:
I transfer those 22k miles to her she'll wind up with 44kmiles for about $266. I could xfer 31k SPG (20k+5k+11k w/ SPG xfer bonus) and be done with it, a C class ticket for $266 + 31k SPG points.

Option 2:
Transfer 22k miles, and instead of using SPG miles to top up, I could also buy 16k miles for her (and netting another 16k as buy bonus), for a cost of another $460. That nets 80k miles in her account at $720, which is still a good deal for a C class seat.

Option 3:
I guess the other option is to transfer 40k miles from my account for $460 (which would make me 18k miles short in my account for 2 tickets) and then just top my account up 18k SPG points so I'll have enough for the F tickets too. So that's $460 + 18k SPG points

Any thoughts on how to compare these 3 options? I tend to keep about 100k+ SPG points handy and primarily use them for airline transfers. So, at the moment option 1 seems the best combination of the USair promo and using some SPG points that will otherwise just sit around (until I need to top up one of my FF accounts for another ticket).
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by MarioRossi
May I ask when exactly the tax will be removed from the total amount? I am an European member and had around six or seven transactions which all included the sales tax. So I cannot see this working. I might be wrong, though, so I'd like to know how you managed to get around the tax?!

I am curious about this too.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by MarioRossi

You cannot get rid of the 7.5% tax that is Federal Excise Tax. But by having an account outside US & Canada, you save GST (Sales tax), that is charged in addition to Federal Excise Tax.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:26 am

Ok, got confused about the two. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Just a quick question from a friend of mine and the answer in the early part of the thread was inconclusive...

If mother and child both sign up for accounts, will using the same credit card across both accounts (the same one which the father uses by the way on his account) be a problem?

I'm guessing there must be a few families with a single (but shared) card and number.

Regards

lme ff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.