Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Hey guys, quick question. Do you need to enter your credit card info when you are trying to Share miles? I don't want to get charged...I'm supposed to be Sharing, right?
Yes. 1 cent per mile shared, plus $30 fee.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
Yes. 1 cent per mile shared, plus $30 fee.
Thanks. I totally misunderstood post #203 above. Oh well. A deal is a deal. That's a few bills I hadn't planned on spending. But it's still a good deal, so all's well.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I notice that the text describing this promotion is still up on the buy / gift / share miles page, although it does state that it expired yesterday. Somehow I let this one get away from me - has anyone out there bought / gifted / shared miles this morning and still received the bonus? Thought it might be worth a shot to ask.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jkm024
I notice that the text describing this promotion is still up on the buy / gift / share miles page, although it does state that it expired yesterday. Somehow I let this one get away from me - has anyone out there bought / gifted / shared miles this morning and still received the bonus? Thought it might be worth a shot to ask.
I tried doing a 'share' of 50k each at around 10:30 pm last night pacific time. It's now under dispute They show the 'shared' miles in my account, but no bonus. Us Airways is 'making a report' into the matter (according to the fellow on the phone) and will let me know in 1-2 weeks by email.

So, I wouldn't try it my friend. Clearly they're disputing time, even though their promotion doesn't list a time zone on December 31 at which the promotion ends.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Anyone has any idea how many new accounts were opened during this promo? I assume the ones registering 21 dec would be some of the last. My friends acct nr from about that date ends with roughly 136 000. Anyone want to calculate a rough estimate of the risk- and interest free loan US got this way?

With the huge number of new miles around would there be any chance of;
1. More devaluations of US miles, or
2. *A rejecting US miles due to a possible crack on award-availability systemwide?

Nice to have some qualified guesses.. I bought and had confirmed 1,2 mill miles for my family
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by travelkid
Anyone has any idea how many new accounts were opened during this promo? I assume the ones registering 21 dec would be some of the last. My friends acct nr from about that date ends with roughly 136 000. Anyone want to calculate a rough estimate of the risk- and interest free loan US got this way?
Unfortunately I think the ones registering on 21 December may have some difficulty in using the promo - you actually have to wait 11 days before you can transact - so the accounts on the 20th would be fine, but the 21st may have problems.

It would seem you need the last 7 digits to help us out with the number of accounts created... I signed up my family in early December and the last digits were mid 7xxx xxx. I wonder if your friend was an 8xxx xxx?

If your friend was an 8 it would seem to indicate over 500000 created!!

That's some miles purchased and plenty of cash to US (assuming multiple USD30 service fees... if each account did just one transaction that would be $15m, if they did two or more... and that is only from early december)
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Dividend Miles #: 40058 XXXXXX for the last ones registered. A few friends registered dec 21, got transactions accepted at first, and money drawn on visa-card, but no miles.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Please advise which would be the right (best) thread to post the question. I didnt see a sticky-thread where this would be natural, unlike most other forums.

I got the max out of the promo, having 250k on account. I am BMI gold and collect my other *A miles there. But does it make sense to get status on US to burn my miles smoother? What status, and how? Maybe statusmatching my AA exp (again, I didnt see a master thread dealing with FAQs)?

I also saw a note that being Chairman in some cases could be a disadvantage, as the agents would be more knowledgeable, thus denying some routing that others would permit.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Dividend Miles #: 40058 XXXXXX for the last ones registered. A few friends registered dec 21, got transactions accepted at first, and money drawn on visa-card, but no miles.
Yes - this has been discussed before. Purchase is 'registered' and the credit card will show an authorisation for the amount of the transaction, but in the end it doesn't go through (and the credit card authorisation will drop off after however many days it sits there with your particular bank).

Hasn't been a problem for me because I could always do it on day 11, but it will be interesting to see how US deals with it for accounts opened on 21 December - for example, whether they will entertain giving you the miles... but again, wherether they will sit and manually do buy, gits and shares is another matter

But does it make sense to get status on US to burn my miles smoother? What status, and how? Maybe statusmatching my AA exp (again, I didnt see a master thread dealing with FAQs)?

I also saw a note that being Chairman in some cases could be a disadvantage, as the agents would be more knowledgeable, thus denying some routing that others would permit.
I have zero status with US and have got all flights I wanted.

I came across lots of the rules (such as 'only one stopover') which some regulars have reported not being enforced for them - and i wonder whether that is because they have status.

But generally speaking there has been no less availability of the award seats themselves - if they are there US will book them for you.

You can join ANA's program (free) and then have access to all Star award seat availability (except LX, CA and FM).
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by teamaniston
I tried doing a 'share' of 50k each at around 10:30 pm last night pacific time. It's now under dispute They show the 'shared' miles in my account, but no bonus. Us Airways is 'making a report' into the matter (according to the fellow on the phone) and will let me know in 1-2 weeks by email.

So, I wouldn't try it my friend. Clearly they're disputing time, even though their promotion doesn't list a time zone on December 31 at which the promotion ends.
I did a transfer at 2200 and to my mom and it was okayllll I should add that i did many transfers before this!

Let me knoe how it works out.....
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Alphaguy
I did a transfer at 2200 and to my mom and it was okayllll I should add that i did many transfers before this!

Let me knoe how it works out.....
was that at 2200 EST? or west coast? On the phone to me, the guy tried to argue "I'm not from the US, but it seems all time goes by eastern time" and I said "the promo did not list a datestamp and timezone that the promotion ends on December 31"

Your post gives me hope. Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I was unable to have several transactions go through. No problems with the credit card. Agents said it was a Points.com server error (one went so far as to say that the servers had been down for the past 3 weeks - a similar problem in the fall led USAir to extend the promotion again in Dec 09).

I have had my accounts noted to suggest that there were multiple failed transactions - USAir has promised to investigate and report back to me. What are the chances they will honor this promotion (even if they do so manually) in January, once they uncover the cause of the errors?

Either way, I want to write to USAir - could someone send me the email address of the head of the customer services?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:19 am
Suspended

Money is not drawn, it is only blocked. They got a confirmation number but no miles. The money will be blocked for 20 days. If you want to have it released, call your credit card company, explain the situation, get a code for the release of the transaction. Then call US Airways, explain the situation again, give them the code which you got from your cc company, have US to call your cc company, provide them with the release code and have them finally to release the money... Good luck with this
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Anyone knows what US has done the the ones that managed to process transaction on the last day of promo but didnt get the miles?
Old May 7, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
help please

Hi,

I am new to dividend miles and I am looking for some advice.

I need to get 120k x 2 reward miles , I am planning to buy miles and then share them with my partner and she can do the same with me (double mile promotion)

I have opened accounts for all the family ( 5 in total ) so I can transfer between the kids accounts as well if I need to.

If any of you guys can advise me the best and most cost effective way to do this I would be very grateful.

Thanks
Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.