Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hakluyt
I think this is probably the cheapest way. Or is it? Need advice, thanks.
No, this here is the cheapest way:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12918458-post126.html @:-)
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Originally Posted by Hakluyt
Hi Friends,
I am awed at all the possibilities listed here by sharing, buying and gifting US Air miles. On my own, I would never have come up with all the angles.
Since we are frugal travelers, I attempted to get a saver award to Europe for early next year. Tried to book in November, hoping for a saver award at 50,000 miles. This was not possible.
Now to the question of buying and sharing miles.

Account A has 48,000 miles
account B has 60,000 miles

A buys 40,000 + 40,000 = 128,000 miles at $ 460
A transfers 20,000 + 20,000 bonus to B = 100,000 at $ 245 total $ 705.

I think this is probably the cheapest way. Or is it? Need advice, thanks.
Hi Hakluyt,

Buying miles is much more expensive than sharing miles. 2.5 cents/mi -vs- 1.0 cents/mi. Therefore, A buys 40k + 40k would cost $1000 instead of 460. Try to share as much as possible.

Having said that, you could minimize your cost if you do the following

Share A -> B 48k+48k bonus A=0 , B=156k $480
Share B -> A 50k+50kbonus A=100k, B=106k $500 total $980

The amounts dont include the $30 fee + tax per transaction
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Thanks, lesenok. Your example is indeed cheaper. Now, why could I not think of it!, but was not aware of the different cost in buy/share.
Slow learner, I must say.
Thanks again.
Hakluyt:-:
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I've had absolute murder with this - bought 50/100k miles and they are "lost" somewhere - although I have a Points.com confirmation number and an authorisation on the Amex card used - albeit no email. US can't search using the Points.com reference and any attempt at speaking with points.com will get you nowhere - they wash their hands of it and tell you to sort it out with the airline. I was quite literally thrown from pillar to post.

I wasted about 7 hours on the phone over the weekend talking to a bunch of absolute cretins who quite frankly talked nothing but rubbish. One told me I should have received an eticket number and a confirmation for my miles purchase!!! one minute I'm being told it'll be resolved within 24hrs, next minute I'm told to wait 10 days for an investigation which was completely unacceptable given the short time frame before departure on the reservation on hold - had to rebook it three times!!. Anyhow, I eventually got through to a supervisor who agreed that if I purchased another 50k, they would refund my credit card if the charge for the first chunk of miles actually hit. Lets see, eh!

Thankfully the second purchase hit straight away and I received a confirmation email unlike first time round and I was able to go ahead and have the reservation ticketed.
I am in a similar or even worse position.
Purchased the miles online and got a confirmation. However the miles did not post. It has been 3 days now and the money has been taken from my AMEX but NO miles.

Several clueless agents now told me that the transaction has been voided and I should purchase them again!

Er, excuse me. Can I please have my money back first ??

Who do I call to get this mess sorted ?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I would think you need to contact points.com regarding the transaction, but perhaps someone who has had trouble could point you in a more specific direction.

Sorry to hear of the troubles...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Platinum, AFKL Gold, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I am in a similar or even worse position.
Purchased the miles online and got a confirmation. However the miles did not post. It has been 3 days now and the money has been taken from my AMEX but NO miles.

Several clueless agents now told me that the transaction has been voided and I should purchase them again!

Er, excuse me. Can I please have my money back first ??

Had the same problem... but don't worry, if transaction was voided the charge on your credit card will be voided too. Actually it never appeared on my statement, even though for a few days I could see my available credit lowered by 1,500$US..

May I ask you if you just created the account 10 days ago, and if you booked with a credit card that has same name as US Air account?

No need to call Points.com. They won't do anything and say that you purchased the miles on US Airways, so you have to contact them. Some US Airways agents will tell you to call Points.com..

But from the experience I had with them two weeks ago only US Airways was able to do something about it. Actually they were not able to do anything, I had to buy miles with another account, and that worked. They only told me the transaction was voided and that my credit card would not be charge.

They said the problem was because I did not respect the 10 days period... but I actually did... But that was right after 10 days... What I am assuming is that this might be because I was using my own credit card to purchase miles for my brother's account...

I am planning to buy/share miles in two weeks to get 500,000 more miles. I hope I can get those miles for my family's accounts by paying with my credit card...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by thyeri

May I ask you if you just created the account 10 days ago, and if you booked with a credit card that has same name as US Air account?
I purchased the miles on the 11th day...at least according to my calculation.
Points.com was a waste of time. They just pointed me right back to USAir.

Amex told me to wait another 2 days to see if a credit will come through on the card? If not, they will do a charge back.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all

I can confirm that the '10 day' rule actually seems to be '11' days - in that for whatever reason it seems to be that you can only purchase points on the 11th day after opening your account.

I made a 'purchase' on the 10th day and got a confirmation, and my credit card was down the USD1373 in available balance (that is, an authorisation).

I too called US airways when the miles didn't post.

Eventually the agent said I was too early in making the purchase.

I can confirm the purchase did NOT go through, and my credit card was never billed. The authorisation charge went off my card after about 7 days.

I made a new purchase on the 12th day and everything was fine - instant confirmation again - but this time the miles were there!

So to anyone else in the same boat the message is 'don't worry'! You have not been billed - but it does appear as a charge waiting to come on for a few days.

Regards

lme ff
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi all

I can confirm that the '10 day' rule actually seems to be '11' days - in that for whatever reason it seems to be that you can only purchase points on the 11th day after opening your account.

I made a 'purchase' on the 10th day and got a confirmation, and my credit card was down the USD1373 in available balance (that is, an authorisation).

I too called US airways when the miles didn't post.

Eventually the agent said I was too early in making the purchase.

I can confirm the purchase did NOT go through, and my credit card was never billed. The authorisation charge went off my card after about 7 days.

I made a new purchase on the 12th day and everything was fine - instant confirmation again - but this time the miles were there!

So to anyone else in the same boat the message is 'don't worry'! You have not been billed - but it does appear as a charge waiting to come on for a few days.

Regards

lme ff
I had virtually the same experience with buying miles into my wife's new account. The transaction was permitted on day 10 with identical problems to those described above--confirmation received, funds held on credit card, no miles in account, no email confirmation.

Had the usual round robin customer service cluster f**k with US and points.com, also as described, including being asked repeatedly for ticket numbers and record locators. Finally got assertive and asked for a US supervisor. She passed the matter up the line to someone in IT.

Lo and behold, and to my utter shock, I received a call 90 minutes later from a super courteous IT person who indicated there's some glitch when ordering on day 11. Said I wouldn't be charged, asked that I try the transaction again and assured me that all would be well. All was well, the initial e-commerce shortcoming notwithstanding. Kudos to the second tier service folks who provided the necessary reassurance.

All that said, I think you should be fine. Always have a fallback with the CC company in case of a double hit--but I haven't seen any posts from those experiencing these problems indicating that has ever happened.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:56 pm

Quick question for the pros:

Can one person share 100k miles with two seperate accounts and both get the 50k bonus miles?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Quick question for the pros:

Can one person share 100k miles with two seperate accounts and both get the 50k bonus miles?

Thanks for your help!
Interesting question, I would like to know the answer to that too.

A 100
A shares 50 to B - B has 100
A shares 50 to C - C has 50 or 100 ??
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:05 am

Ho, and if you don't wanna pay 7.5% tax, it's really easy. Just change your address to Switzerland or another country as long as it is not the US or Canada.

Once the purchase is made you can change your address back to the good one.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:14 am

Interesting question, I would like to know the answer to that too.

A 100
A shares 50 to B - B has 100
A shares 50 to C - C has 50 or 100 ??
Yes, it works. Both B & C will have 100k. I have done it.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by lesenok
Yes, it works. Both B & C will have 100k. I have done it.
Thanks.
But from what I read on this post, if B receives 50+50 from A, he cannot receive 50+50 from C or D right?
When receiving miles from sharing, it is limited. But when sharing miles to someone else, it is not limited.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:05 am

Thanks.
But from what I read on this post, if B receives 50+50 from A, he cannot receive 50+50 from C or D right?
When receiving miles from sharing, it is limited. But when sharing miles to someone else, it is not limited.
Correct. Receiving(in) is limited to 50k + 50k bonus. Sharing(out) is not limited.

A can share 50k to B & C & D.
B & C & D will have 100k each
B & C & D can receive more miles but NO Bonus. You will get a warning message when you attempt to pay for the shared miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.