Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:14 am
HCA

Has any FTer already MAX the 50k transfer bonus can try to attempt transfer to another account which did not receive bonus to see if the limit is only to receiver?
(Or, already done 40k transfer out and trying for another 20k transfer out..)
I really need to confirm this info before the miles stuck in one of the accounts.

Surely, you can PM me to have the receiver's account to try.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:00 am

Just to clarify before making any transactions,

Whats the cheapest way to get 160k miles into one account when having 2 accounts each with 0 miles?

Thanks guys^
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I purchased some miles 11 hours ago (50k) and they have still to appear in the account.

It says all purchases will be confirmed within 4 hours. Has something gone tits up here? Do I need to contact anyone
Same problem here. I bought 50k about 16 hours ago, no e-mail confirmation nor fresh miles in my account yet......
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Crille

Whats the cheapest way to get 160k miles into one account when having 2 accounts each with 0 miles?

Thanks guys^
The cheapest way to get 160k miles in account A when account A and B both start with 0:

1) Buy 30k miles in A. (Results in 60k. Cost: $836.25.)
2) Buy 25k miles in B. (Results in 50k. Cost: $701.88)
3) Share 50k from B to A. (Adds 100k to A, bringing it to 60k, depleting the miles from B. Cost: $567.50)

Total Cost: $2105.63 (1.3cpm)

If you're using the miles for a Partner Award in First to Asia, that's a pretty incredible deal.

If you're using the miles for two Envoy or Business Awards to Europe, you can do it $50 cheaper by getting to 80k in each account (and booking the tickets separately) instead of 160k in one. Buy 20k in each, then transfer 40k A->B and B->A.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, SK Gold
Originally Posted by ikura
Same problem here. I bought 50k about 16 hours ago, no e-mail confirmation nor fresh miles in my account yet......
Just a follow-up on this one:

I called US Airways about the purchase, and spoke to THE most clueless airline/hotel chain/insert-anything-here agent I've ever talked to EVER. I kept repeating that I was missing miles that I bought yesterday, while he was constantly talking jibberish about some confirmation I would get "24 hours before the scheduled flight". He also seemed totally uninterested in helping out, and kept taking long breaks during the call where it seemed like he was just lounging on the other end. Is this the standard of US Airways' representatives?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:58 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

You want to minimize the number you buy and maximize the number you share, so I think it would be:

Buy 43,000 miles -> 86,000 miles - $1,185.63
Share 25,000 miles -> 50,000 miles in second account, 61,000 miles in first account - $298.75
Share 50,000 miles back to first account -> 0 miles in second account, 161,000 miles in first account - $567.50

$2,051.88 total
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
The cheapest way to get 160k miles in account A when account A and B both start with 0:

1) Buy 30k miles in A. (Results in 60k. Cost: $836.25.)
2) Buy 25k miles in B. (Results in 50k. Cost: $701.88)
3) Share 50k from B to A. (Adds 100k to A, bringing it to 60k, depleting the miles from B. Cost: $567.50)

Total Cost: $2105.63 (1.3cpm)

If you're using the miles for a Partner Award in First to Asia, that's a pretty incredible deal.

If you're using the miles for two Envoy or Business Awards to Europe, you can do it $50 cheaper by getting to 80k in each account (and booking the tickets separately) instead of 160k in one. Buy 20k in each, then transfer 40k A->B and B->A.
Thanks MichaelColey! Really appreciate it.

My idea is to use it for two C class awards from Europe to the US. However, I've learnt that booking a *Alliance award (mine includes multiple carriers and legs) is very difficult, and that you might have to try more than one time to get the routing accepted. That's why I wanted to book two tickets from one account, so that I don't have to go through the hassle twice. Or is there a way around this?

Cheers
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ikura
Is this the standard of US Airways' representatives?
Not in my experience, though as with all elements of US Airways, inconsistency is the standard operating procedure.

Are you calling reservations or the Dividend Miles Service Center?

Have you considered calling points.com, as they're the ones administering the program?

I shared 10k last night and the transaction was immediate. I then shared an additional 20k, and while I could see the transaction listed in the "Your Miles" page within five minutes of doing so, it took 12 hours to update my mileage balance in the various places where it displays said balance.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:05 am

Thanks guys^
I think the cheapest way is to SHARE miles as much as possible, then buy the rest. But you will need to find a swap partner (SWAPEE )

1) share 50k with partner into A. (Results in 100k. Cost: $567.50)
2) buy 30k into A (Results in 60k. Cost: $836.25)
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by lelee
I think the cheapest way is to SHARE miles as much as possible, then buy the rest. But you will need to find a swap partner (SWAPEE )

1) share 50k with partner into A. (Results in 100k. Cost: $567.50)
2) buy 30k into A (Results in 60k. Cost: $836.25)
That would of course be the best solution

Anyone here willing to share?

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
My idea is to use it for two C class awards from Europe to the US. However, I've learnt that booking a *Alliance award (mine includes multiple carriers and legs) is very difficult, and that you might have to try more than one time to get the routing accepted. That's why I wanted to book two tickets from one account, so that I don't have to go through the hassle twice. Or is there a way around this?
You're probably right that it's best to try to book the two tickets out of one account. I'm sure it's worth the minimal price difference of accumulating 160k in one or 80k each in two.

Make sure to look at Beckles' method for getting 160k in one - it's a little cheaper than mine.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
However, I've learnt that booking a *Alliance award (mine includes multiple carriers and legs) is very difficult, and that you might have to try more than one time to get the routing accepted. That's why I wanted to book two tickets from one account, so that I don't have to go through the hassle twice. Or is there a way around this?

Cheers
It is true that you might have to call multiple times to get it, but I personally wouldn't consider it very difficult. For those of you calling from outside the US, it could be costly, although by comparison to booking the same award with say LH or a carrier that charges YQ, you're saving a small fortune.

As for booking from one account or two, I'd say it's a wash. You can tell them you're booking two awards with the same routing and wish to pull miles from two accounts - it's not a problem. The only possible reason to not do so would be if they charge multiple award processing fees if miles are pulled from multiple accounts.

It's not clear from the fees chart how that would work, but I'm certain someone here knows from experience - http://www2.usairways.com/en-US/divi...ooktravel.html
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:24 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Make sure to look at Beckles' method for getting 160k in one - it's a little cheaper than mine.
You also get 1,000 more miles

Note that my method is cheaper even than getting 80k in two anyway (by a whopping $3.12 ... plus you get the 1,000 more miles!).
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: QF PS, NZ Silver
I've just purchased some 50k and they have not showed up as of yet.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
If you've bought miles and they haven't showed up - before really wondering if something went wrong, make sure you're not relying on the total miles in the upper right corner of the US site to dynamically update. Either go to "My Account" and look there at the total, or log out and log back in.

The total in the upper right corner will not update until you log out. The "My Account" details will update without logging out if you refresh the page, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.