FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Again for Nov & Dec: Buy/Gift/Share miles, receive 100% bonus
Old Jan 1, 2010, 5:47 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by travelkid
Dividend Miles #: 40058 XXXXXX for the last ones registered. A few friends registered dec 21, got transactions accepted at first, and money drawn on visa-card, but no miles.
Yes - this has been discussed before. Purchase is 'registered' and the credit card will show an authorisation for the amount of the transaction, but in the end it doesn't go through (and the credit card authorisation will drop off after however many days it sits there with your particular bank).

Hasn't been a problem for me because I could always do it on day 11, but it will be interesting to see how US deals with it for accounts opened on 21 December - for example, whether they will entertain giving you the miles... but again, wherether they will sit and manually do buy, gits and shares is another matter

Originally Posted by travelkid
But does it make sense to get status on US to burn my miles smoother? What status, and how? Maybe statusmatching my AA exp (again, I didnt see a master thread dealing with FAQs)?

I also saw a note that being Chairman in some cases could be a disadvantage, as the agents would be more knowledgeable, thus denying some routing that others would permit.
I have zero status with US and have got all flights I wanted.

I came across lots of the rules (such as 'only one stopover') which some regulars have reported not being enforced for them - and i wonder whether that is because they have status.

But generally speaking there has been no less availability of the award seats themselves - if they are there US will book them for you.

You can join ANA's program (free) and then have access to all Star award seat availability (except LX, CA and FM).