Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
Any body shares some PHL rental story? Like last year, rent a car without driving it from Hertz and others in PHL?
If flying out of PHL any time soon I did a one way rental from KOP area and then a one way back and were under $25 with AAA discount each way. Not as cheap as others are posting but if you were going to park or take a cab it come out about even. Otherwise the $25 is the cheapest I have found which is about $8 more than the $17 I paid last year.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by beltway
Does a four-minute affair even count?
I'm not sure. As you can see above, my wife can have a brutal sense of humor.

Mike
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:56 pm

HERTZ Rental For GS QUESTIONS!

I Have 600 points at my Hertz gold account,
(which is good enough for 1 rental)
and also $100 credit on my Hertz Connect account,
(which is good for 3 separate hourly rental)

My Question is,
Would I get GS hit if I use my hertz points??
Would I get GS hit if I rent a car just for an hour using my credit??

Thank you!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you're renting near LAX, try one of the rental car counters in the hotels near the airport.

The airport lots pass on a $10/rental LAWA (airport authority) fee, along with some other levies, the hotels are considered off-airport and do not....
Thanks for the heads up! Checked the rate at the Hilton's Hertz... but it ended up a/i more expensive than the airport lot! Oh well. Next time!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:05 pm

OP.. would you mind posting a list of the cheapest rentals like the 'mega thread of other hits'. Would help knowing how people are going by their rentals. I am planning rentals in Washington, more preferably in Canada. Haven't been able to find much.

For people who are getting the AAA discount, is the AAA membership free or is there a way I can use someone else's AAA membership info?

Thanks for your input.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
This is what I find at the HLE that was near my home when I lived in MI:

Code:
Pick-up: Change
Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Ann Arbor Sheraton HLE
view details
Return: Change
Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Ann Arbor Sheraton HLE
view details
Discount Change
CDP: AAA ALLIANCE AUTO CLUB (cdp code is 116, no one ever checks)

Arrival Information
No Arrival Information

Your Age Change
25+
Selected Vehicle Change
Nissan Versa or similar More Details
Unlimited Free Miles Included
1 weekend day at 15.29 USD 	15.29 USD
Rate Details
	Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery 	0.66 USD
	ENERGY SURCHARGE 	1.03 USD
Vehicle Subtotal 	16.98 USD
I'm sure there are HLEs out there faar cheaper.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:51 pm

Hmm, not here in SEA. My (former) GE employee leisure CDP seems to give better discounts than AAA but lowest I can find locally in SEA is about $30 (on a Saturday).
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:56 pm

BTW, if you are traveling in the near future, check into one way rentals from a local HLE to the airport to generate rental hits. With my CDP it comes to about $33 which is cheaper than cab fare. Just may do this on my next trip (in lieu of cabs) from home to airport and hotel to airport.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by savekenny
Thanks for the heads up! Checked the rate at the Hilton's Hertz... but it ended up a/i more expensive than the airport lot! Oh well. Next time!
yep for a good few yrs I was getting my car @ The Marriott and @ ONT the HLE but now both @ LAX & ONT the HLEs are alot more then the Airport Lot with all its Nutty taxes
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by samhoq
OP.. would you mind posting a list of the cheapest rentals like the 'mega thread of other hits'. Would help knowing how people are going by their rentals. I am planning rentals in Washington, more preferably in Canada. Haven't been able to find much.

For people who are getting the AAA discount, is the AAA membership free or is there a way I can use someone else's AAA membership info?

Thanks for your input.
I think this request is a bit much. Rental prices chance day-to-day. And there are hundreds of rental locations. All you have to do is go to a site like Orbitz and enter the nearest rental location where you can earn miles and check dates for cheapest rates.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
This is what I find at the HLE that was near my home when I lived in MI:

Code:
Pick-up: Change
Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Ann Arbor Sheraton HLE
view details
Return: Change
Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Ann Arbor Sheraton HLE
view details
Discount Change
CDP: AAA ALLIANCE AUTO CLUB (cdp code is 116, no one ever checks)

Arrival Information
No Arrival Information

Your Age Change
25+
Selected Vehicle Change
Nissan Versa or similar More Details
Unlimited Free Miles Included
1 weekend day at 15.29 USD 	15.29 USD
Rate Details
	Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery 	0.66 USD
	ENERGY SURCHARGE 	1.03 USD
Vehicle Subtotal 	16.98 USD
I'm sure there are HLEs out there faar cheaper.
thanks for this-however there was a lot of talk of non airport locs not getting hits-will these def count?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I think this request is a bit much. Rental prices chance day-to-day. And there are hundreds of rental locations. All you have to do is go to a site like Orbitz and enter the nearest rental location where you can earn miles and check dates for cheapest rates.
I'd recommend carrentals.com (seemed to find much better rates than orbitz for non-airport rentals).
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:15 pm

Just wanted to confirm that a manhattan hourly 1-hour rental seems to work. Just rented a car today, drove around the block a few times, and came back. $15 all-in, and 50 miles show on the receipt.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy
Just wanted to confirm that a manhattan hourly 1-hour rental seems to work. Just rented a car today, drove around the block a few times, and came back. $15 all-in, and 50 miles show on the receipt.
Thanks for the tip thou, was it Hertz connect?? and 50miles on receipt gives you a hit??
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Sadly, rentals in Phoenix area are awful due to the taxes. Anyone had better luck? Otherwise I'll wait until I take a couple of upcoming trips outside Arizona.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.