Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: US Air, United
Originally Posted by ksl11
Too bad Keith wasn't working when I went in today! After I'd made the reservation online using the $5 US discount, the estimated AI price was $19. When I went in to pay, the guy there gave me a bill where he took away the $5 US discount and put me in a higher car class. I pointed out the discrepancies to him, and he played dumb (or perhaps WAS dumb) and spent another 5 minutes adjusting my price. Not sure if I'll go back there even if Keith is there - the place REEKED - like sour milk.
I agree the other guy was not the sharpest tool in the shed. And I also agree the place stank. It's mold, I know because I own a ServiceMaster and we do mold remediation. However it's good that you were able to get it all done in about 10 minutes and get the rate. For me this place is closest to where I work so I will go back. Another poster upthread suggested a Hertz in Southpark. That is sure to be nicer due to it's location!!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: US Air, United
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Nice. Try the Hertz location inside the Doubletree Southpark. In the back of the building. Last year I used the standard US CDP/PC codes and got a 24 hour rental for $6.11 a/i. Don't know if it'll work this year.

I'm trying to find those codes this year--it was on #1 on last years massive GS thread.
If you find it and it works let me know! I work close by and the Independence location is easy for me. But I would go to Southpark for a deal and spend the extra $ for dinner in the area too!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:35 pm

NYC data point

I just did a one hour rental in Manhattan for $18.88 (all in, using the HOURLY code). I drove the car to the end of the parking garage (about 10ft) before backing it up and returning it. Rental contract shows that I had it for 8mins (had to wait in line to return it) and clearly shows that my US FF acct will be awarded 50 miles. I intend to "wash, rinse, repeat" when I visit NYC over the next two months for the remaining 5 hits!

Last edited by lrwelsh; Sep 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:48 pm

Can we earn miles as well as points at the same time as a gold club member? Thanks. Besides, can I rent cars but post the miles to some else's dividend miles account?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by tylergupku
Can we earn miles as well as points at the same time as a gold club member?
Yes, although perhaps not at a full rate for both? I normally use the UA discount and bonus (50/day + 1000) and I've been accumulating gold points (100/rental) simultaneously.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:12 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by savekenny
Actually I'll be in LA for a wedding for a Sat-Mon weekend in early October. Instead of getting a 3-day car rental on Hotwire or Priceline like I usually do, I went through the US Airways codes and booked three separate daily rentals (Alamo 1st day, Dollar 2nd day, Alamo 3rd day) for $30 each day a/i. I may be spending ~$20 more than I would have with hotwire/priceline and have to deal with the hassle of going to LAX each day to return old car / rent new car, but I see my "spend" for GS as the incremental cost of $20, minus 800 miles received for the rentals--so about $10!
If you're renting near LAX, try one of the rental car counters in the hotels near the airport.

The airport lots pass on a $10/rental LAWA (airport authority) fee, along with some other levies, the hotels are considered off-airport and do not.

I use the Hertz desk at the LAX Hilton and save a bundle. Not as much selection as the airport lot, but the guys there take care of me...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I have done two Hertz hourly rentals already. Here is some more info:

- Hertz hourly rentals can be returned to ANY location in Manhattan, not just the one you used for pick-up. Therefore I pick up my car at the garage across the street from my apartment (downtown) and drive to a Hertz garage 6 blocks from my office (midtown). This saves me the $2.25 subway fare in the morning.

- Gas is included in the rate.

- The $12 ($15.29 total with taxes) cost per rental is only valid Mon - Thurs. The Fri - Sun rate is $3 more.

- Rate codes HOURLY and HRLYD are the same. HRLYD is only valid Mon - Thurs for $12 whereas HOURLY is available any day (but will be $15 on Fri - Sun).
Are you sure the hourly rental can make a hit? If that is, it will be a great hit then?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:23 am

Any PHL rental story?

Any body shares some PHL rental story? Like last year, rent a car without driving it from Hertz and others in PHL?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just go to your local Hertz 'HLE' and tell them about the promo and that you would be willing to part with 15-20$ for a rental that you will not drive. Should be no biggie.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
Are you sure the hourly rental can make a hit? If that is, it will be a great hit then?
Not 100% sure until the first sweep next week starts posting miles. However, the receipt clearly shows 50 US miles are generated from the hourly rental. I only do one rental per day. Will post back to confirm whether these count as hits.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by cjzhang2000
It should. My receipt shows the rate as $15/day (real rate is $45 per day) and that i rented for one day. It doesn't mention anywhere that the rental is only for an hour.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The following conversation took place this weekend:

Me: Oh, I have to run over to the Park Plaza Hotel on Monday.

DW: Why?

Me: I'm having an affair.

DW: (After five minutes of laughing): Seriously, why?

Me: What, you don't believe somebody would have an affair with me?

DW: Okay, what points scheme is this related to?

In Boston, the Hertz "hourly rental" place is across from the Boston Park Plaza hotel. The guy told me that I needed to take the car out once he did the paperwork, but once he realized that I truly had no interest in it, he just checked me back in. He understood once I told him it was a mileage promo. Total was $25.60, due to non-amortized Convention Center tax. The receipt said "50 miles awarded" and gave my DM number.

Total transaction time: about four minutes. It's worth noting that, when I told my wife that, she started to get nervous that I actually was having an affair.

Mike
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Total transaction time: about four minutes. It's worth noting that, when I told my wife that, she started to get nervous that I actually was having an affair.
Does a four-minute affair even count?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: Doing GS11, probably affiliated with every program out there
so I was searching for cheap rental cars around where I live (MCO) and found that alamo locaion at SFB (sanford international airport) right north of orlando, actually not too far from where I live has $18.99 all in for sunday rentals (incude surcharge for credit to US DM). just in case this is helpful for anyone. I am doing a rental on 10/2 sunday for this price. This includes the 10% discount for alamo insider which I am sure you all have already signed up for GS right
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by mikeef
The following conversation took place this weekend:

Me: Oh, I have to run over to the Park Plaza Hotel on Monday.

DW: Why?

Me: I'm having an affair.

DW: (After five minutes of laughing): Seriously, why?

Me: What, you don't believe somebody would have an affair with me?

DW: Okay, what points scheme is this related to?

In Boston, the Hertz "hourly rental" place is across from the Boston Park Plaza hotel. The guy told me that I needed to take the car out once he did the paperwork, but once he realized that I truly had no interest in it, he just checked me back in. He understood once I told him it was a mileage promo. Total was $25.60, due to non-amortized Convention Center tax. The receipt said "50 miles awarded" and gave my DM number.

Mike
This.

The post should be copied to a new topic, stickied and titled as the best post of Grand Slam 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.