Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps we need a new thread: "Things I have done in the course of earning Grand Slam hits that an obective observer would interpret as prima facie evidence of mental derangement." That would certainly stress-test the FT servers.
I love to think about all the normal working people who see weird situations due to the GS, but are ignorant of what's going on. The drivers with empty shuttles, the poetry slam box office workers with hundreds of unclaimed tickets, the sales manager at swarovski who sees a huge spike in demand for christmas ornaments in September.

Similar to the Verizon internet store workers who saw orders for thousands of chargers and screen protectors for discontinued phones in a 24 hour period last month...

Freakonomics in action!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by NewArrival
If only you knew how close I came to naming a thread that after reading your post. The character-max cut it off. This promo is like thousands of classmates on a field trip/scavenger hunt

I think we're more like the Hash House Harriers: "Members often describe their group as 'a drinking club with a running problem' ".

(OK, no more tangents/OT posts here from me.)
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by kvs25
You can transfer 600 points to US Airways, so you'll still need to get 100 points somehow if you're looking to transfer points.

600 Points = 500 Miles or 1200 Southwest Points or 1,000 Priority Club Points.
How to transfer hertz points to US DM? I have 1800 points that are of no use... on hertz.com I just see this:

Easy to Redeem

You can redeem your #1 Awards Points for Hertz rentals in The United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain The United States,and Canada the choice is yours.

You can even log on to hertz.com to review your #1 Awards Point balance anytime.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: US Air, United
Just did a "counter rental" at Hertz on Independence Blvd in Charlotte NC for me and my spouse (spouse not present). Ask for Keith. He is very open to doing more for Grand Slammers (but maybe not Poetry Slammers, ha ha). He said if you call that location and ask for him he can give you the best US Air discount and any coupons available. It's a small location so he would rather know what you are doing than bring in an extra dozen cars that are not going to leave the lot. You do need to show up for a card swipe he says. Rental total with tax: $17.27
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by cmckee1961
Just did a "counter rental" at Hertz on Independence Blvd in Charlotte NC for me and my spouse (spouse not present). Ask for Keith. He is very open to doing more for Grand Slammers (but maybe not Poetry Slammers, ha ha). He said if you call that location and ask for him he can give you the best US Air discount and any coupons available. It's a small location so he would rather know what you are doing than bring in an extra dozen cars that are not going to leave the lot. You do need to show up for a card swipe he says. Rental total with tax: $17.27
Nice. Try the Hertz location inside the Doubletree Southpark. In the back of the building. Last year I used the standard US CDP/PC codes and got a 24 hour rental for $6.11 a/i. Don't know if it'll work this year.

I'm trying to find those codes this year--it was on #1 on last years massive GS thread.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:58 am

Anyone have suggestions for the Seattle area. Charlotte is a bit far for a card swipe.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Excellent news. Early Oct will see me at an NYC hertz somewhere between 4-6 times.
I have done two Hertz hourly rentals already. Here is some more info:

- Hertz hourly rentals can be returned to ANY location in Manhattan, not just the one you used for pick-up. Therefore I pick up my car at the garage across the street from my apartment (downtown) and drive to a Hertz garage 6 blocks from my office (midtown). This saves me the $2.25 subway fare in the morning.

- Gas is included in the rate.

- The $12 ($15.29 total with taxes) cost per rental is only valid Mon - Thurs. The Fri - Sun rate is $3 more.

- Rate codes HOURLY and HRLYD are the same. HRLYD is only valid Mon - Thurs for $12 whereas HOURLY is available any day (but will be $15 on Fri - Sun).
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Car rental in Hungary

I am presently in Europe, expecting to hire a car in Hungary and cannot access the GS11 page. I am asked to register, which I have done already, but nothing is possible beyond that. I cannot access the partner activities on the GS page. Is that it, or are there other avenues to finally get at the GS page?
I have researched the car partners (not from the GS page, of course) and Hertz would be a possibility for me. But the reservation needs to be done through the GS page, is that so?
Thanks for any help.
Hakluyt
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Airport parking?

Didnt some get hits for hourly car parking at Thrifty garages?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:48 pm

As long as you've registered for GS11, you don't need to reserve through the US Airways site. Just make sure with the agent that they have your Dividend Miles number on the reservation when you pick up the car.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:01 pm

Have 500 hertz points, good for a free weekend rental. I just need to pay $3 tax. Will this give me a hit? I can put my US number into the reservation.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Originally Posted by flyerfrog
Have 500 hertz points, good for a free weekend rental. I just need to pay $3 tax. Will this give me a hit? I can put my US number into the reservation.
Usually free rentals are not eligible for mileage/point accrual so I would guess no.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:00 am

Car Rental LAX

Actually I'll be in LA for a wedding for a Sat-Mon weekend in early October. Instead of getting a 3-day car rental on Hotwire or Priceline like I usually do, I went through the US Airways codes and booked three separate daily rentals (Alamo 1st day, Dollar 2nd day, Alamo 3rd day) for $30 each day a/i. I may be spending ~$20 more than I would have with hotwire/priceline and have to deal with the hassle of going to LAX each day to return old car / rent new car, but I see my "spend" for GS as the incremental cost of $20, minus 800 miles received for the rentals--so about $10!

Last edited by savekenny; Sep 17, 2011 at 12:06 am
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
anyone got anything for upstate NY? I don't rent cars at all so don't know the ins and outs of finding cheapest rates and all. any help is much appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
anyone got anything for upstate NY? I don't rent cars at all so don't know the ins and outs of finding cheapest rates and all. any help is much appreciated.
I use Kayak as a first filter to get a sense of rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.