Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
can anyone tell me if there is anyway to get a car rental hit when someone else picks up the car?
is that possible?
Originally Posted by heffa
Worked last year great at Hertz, at least with the same last name, but I don't think that would matter.
Originally Posted by karnold8103
So...I can reserve a car for my parents under my name and the rental agency (typically National for me) would let them pick up and use the car? They would get to use my executive perks, and I would get the points and hit? This seems like a win win to me, has anyone done this before?
No, but you could (at least at Hertz) have your parents rent & pay for a car, and have it credited to your US account.

(if the car is rented under your name, then you need to be there and pick it up and your parents needs to pay the daily additional driver fee)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by kvs25
If anyone is doing a car rental anyway (e.g. not just for a hit), you can register with Hertz Gold for free (cancel within a year). Members also get 500 Bonus points which is enough for a weekend day rental.

1.Click http://goldplus.hertz.com/
2.Register for Gold Membership (Free & $60 Value)
3.Earn 500 bonus points, Qualify for 1 Free Weekend Day Rental

You can transfer 600 points to US Airways, so you'll still need to get 100 points somehow if you're looking to transfer points.

600 Points = 500 Miles or 1200 Southwest Points or 1,000 Priority Club Points.

* it takes up to 4 weeks for bonus points to post. *

Also, Hertz is offering $5 1-way rentals. Conditions apply of course: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/bb-8657875/drive-into-arizona-for-as-little-as-$5-per-day-special-offer

ivetried a few times but cant get that link to work
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:10 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
PHL was mentioned but can anyone suggest city/cities which usually have very low rental rates?
thx
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
PHL was mentioned but can anyone suggest city/cities which usually have very low rental rates?
thx
I rented from PHL last year, but I remember DC having super cheap rates as well.
I am struggling to find anything near me now. (In Texas)

If I need a car for 3 days, will making 3 seperate reservations for one day work? (without returning the car each day)
Seems like a long shot, I can only rent from Hertz or AVis here.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond; AA: Exec Plat
I found a rate for DCA this weekend through Avis @ $23 per day. Not great, but not too bad either since it's only 5 minutes from my house.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Car Rental Question

I know that Avis requires you to rent from an Airport location to get miles. However, I would rather use a local place and get the miles. Which other rental companies provide miles even on a neighborhood rental?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:56 pm

So has someone yet found the cheapest rentals for the GS11 promo?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by geaux_tigers
I found a rate for DCA this weekend through Avis @ $23 per day. Not great, but not too bad either since it's only 5 minutes from my house.
With AAA you can generally get a $10/day weekend rental after the $10 off/day coupon listed on the Hertz website. The best deal is to book [as a member] on the aaa.com site, NOT from hertz.com, where the rate is usually about $13-18/day before taxes and coupon for a compact/economy.

Last weekend I had a compact car three days @ IAD for total of $31.24.

Last edited by heffa; Sep 13, 2011 at 4:50 pm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by samhoq
15.00 at Alamo weekend rate out the door for less than 20.00 less gas.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: US Air, United
Originally Posted by heffa
With AAA you can generally get a $10/day weekend rental after the $10 off/day coupon listed on the Hertz website. The best deal is to book [as a member] on the aaa.com site, NOT from hertz.com, where the rate is about $15-20/day before taxes and coupon for a compact/economy.

Last weekend I had a compact car three days @ IAD for total of $31.24.
Can you please confirm that you have had US DM posted to your account with this method?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by cmckee1961
Can you please confirm that you have had US DM posted to your account with this method?
I'll do. For this weekend, I just reserved a three day rental at IAD for $20 with miles crediting to US. From past experience it takes 2-3 weeks for Hertz to post to US.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Under $25 in LA...Maybe

Originally Posted by rookie10
15.00 at Alamo weekend rate out the door for less than 20.00 less gas.
The $15 rate is available at BUR and comes to $24.80. However, when booking, I don't see any way to enter my DM account information. Since this is a "last minute" rate -- although I booked it for late September -- I'm concerned that it's not eligible to earn miles. Any thoughts on this?

Can anyone point me to comprable, or better, rates in LA? Thanks and good luck to all.

xlax
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by samhoq
Weekend rates at PHL are around $15 with AAA. All in about $20 with taxes and fees.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xlax
The $15 rate is available at BUR and comes to $24.80. However, when booking, I don't see any way to enter my DM account information. Since this is a "last minute" rate -- although I booked it for late September -- I'm concerned that it's not eligible to earn miles. Any thoughts on this?

Can anyone point me to comprable, or better, rates in LA? Thanks and good luck to all.

xlax
When I set up my profile I entered all my info including my partner airline US Air. I think I checked a box indicating to accept surcharge and that it was my preferred choice. Set up an account if you have not done so and you should be able to update your profile with your DM info.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
It sounds like some people from last year got to know an off-airport location and specifically asked to be charged so they could get their hits. I've never been charged for a no-show either. (Obviously you would on a Hotwire/Priceline rental but those aren't in scope for GS hits...)
Is this confirmed? Hotwire, Priceline car rentals don't count then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.