Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rentals [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Looks like your Alamo is sold out of the $15 rate at the Austin airport this weekend. I just checked next weekend and that $15 rate shows up. Unfortunately it looks like you get zinged with $15 of taxes at the Austin airport, so total is $30. My recommendation would be to try an off airport Hertz location and these codes.
Just to update, since that was my post. I went today and did one of these rentals, total came out to $19.31 ($16.01 before taxes) which is almost as good as the Manhattan hourly rate.

My only problem was the attendant had no idea what I was talking about (not taking the car) and he thought I was trying to use the rental as a parking space since I had driven myself. He kept saying no I couldn't leave my car even if I didn't rent a car.

I finally had to talk to his supervisor who understood what I was getting at even though he was unfamiliar with the Grand Slam. Gonna go back tomorrow and do another one, hopefully they don't freak out again.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by drbobguy
I did two Manhattan rentals this week while there on business.

Now I'm back in my suburban home and I thought I'd do some searching for cheap rentals. Turns out there's a Hertz location as part of a gas station nearby I never noticed.

After searching online for some promo codes I did:

CDP: 211762 (Amex Plat)
PC: 162330 (?? No idea what this is, but it's $5 off, seems to work on Saturdays but not Sundays).

That gets the rental down to about $15 base rate, $19 a/i.

Gonna do one on Saturday and see how it goes.
Originally Posted by booyaa
I love FT! I had a Hertz rental using Amex Plat CDP for tmw too but could not find a PC for a one-day weekend. You just saved me 4 dollars per rental! Thanks! Mine came out to be $19 a/i too!

Side note: I do have a Amex Plat card and can use it if I have to, but is it an issue if I don't use it while using the Amex Plat CDP? Any problems with them giving me the same rate or miles posting if I don't use the Amex Plat card with the Amex Plat CDP?
My gf just "picked up" her one-day rental using the AMEX Plat CDP and PC: 162330. Online reservations shows a $5 discount, making it $19 a/i. But when we went in and processed the paperwork, it came out to be $15 off!! That makes its $9 a/i from a $22.99 weekend rate! Thanks DrBob!!

Breakdown:
$22.99/weekend day
-$15 PC: 162330
-$0.88 Amex Plat CDP 11% Discount
+$1.00 Tax
+$0.75 FF Surcharge
= $8.86!

This was at local Hertz HLE.

Last edited by booyaa; Sep 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Breakdown:
$22.99/weekend day
+$1.00 Tax
+$0.75 FF Surcharge
= $8.86!

BOOYAA!!!! ^
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
BOOYAA!!!! ^
BOOYAA indeed!

But YMMV of course, hopefully not.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 5:35 pm

I have 1000 Gold Plus Points

I have 1000 Gold Plus Points in my Hertz account. How can I use them to get a GS hit?

Should I redeem them and have my Hertz account set to earn US Airways miles instead of Hertz points?

OR

Exchange for FF (US Airways)?

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
BOOYAA!!!! ^

I am getting about $15.00 using this CDP/PC (CDP: 211762/PC: 162330) combo in PHL for tomorrow for a day.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Just to confirm I dont have to drive the car off the lot, just make sure they say I drove it a mile?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by stallion114
Just to confirm I dont have to drive the car off the lot, just make sure they say I drove it a mile?
Depends on who you talk to I guess. For me they just upped the mileage a mile, it's less work for them not even having to mess with the keys.

Worst case scenario you drive it around the block for 5 minutes, put a dollar of gas in the tank, and return it.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by ngupta
I am getting about $15.00 using this CDP/PC (CDP: 211762/PC: 162330) combo in PHL for tomorrow for a day.
I was getting $17.71 all-in at PHL for tomorrow.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by drbobguy
Depends on who you talk to I guess. For me they just upped the mileage a mile, it's less work for them not even having to mess with the keys.

Worst case scenario you drive it around the block for 5 minutes, put a dollar of gas in the tank, and return it.
From some hertz locations in Manhattan it might take you an hour to go get fuel and return the car!!! Good thing fuel is included in the 1 hour rate.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Collegeville, PA - Hertz

I just did my Hertz "rental" this morning. When I went in there, the lady told me that another guy just did the same thing.

I went in yesterday to explain what I was going to do and the woman looked at me like I had three eyes. When I told her that there would likely be others doing the same, she was incredulous. So today when she told me that another guy just did the same, I felt vindicated!

So...

Hi to the FTer who "rented" today at the Collegeville Hertz!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:59 am

My gf just "picked up" her one-day rental using the AMEX Plat CDP and PC: 162330. Online reservations shows a $5 discount, making it $19 a/i. But when we went in and processed the paperwork, it came out to be $15 off!! That makes its $9 a/i from a $22.99 weekend rate! Thanks DrBob!!

Breakdown:
$22.99/weekend day
+$1.00 Tax
+$0.75 FF Surcharge
= $8.86!

This was at local Hertz HLE.
I just went in to close the rental agreements and the guy told me he took the $15 off by mistake (I thought it was system automated?), and it should have been $5 a day, up to $15 for the weekend. Makes more sense. But he kept it at -$15 since it was his mistake. Normal -$5 would make it $19 a/i, still not too bad. Looks like MMMV next week to see if he can give -$15 again, not sure how much authority he's got to keep doing that (and don't want to jeopardize his job at the same time), especially if the car's just going to be unrented if I dont rent. No one would be renting at higher rate than what I'm paying. A sale's a sale.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:32 am

I tried to use the hertz employee Cdp 500030 along with the $5 off promotion code. Got it to work the first time, I guess I confused the hertz employee by asking to rent me a car without taking it. The second time, I was asked for my Hertz ID. Will use the Amex cdp from now on.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:30 pm

I just went in to close the rental agreements and the guy told me he took the $15 off by mistake (I thought it was system automated?), and it should have been $5 a day, up to $15 for the weekend. Makes more sense. But he kept it at -$15 since it was his mistake.

Love when that happens! Uber-BOOYAA!! ^
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: AA CX AC
Has anyone had an issue renting from Alamo/$15 weekend rate and returning the car (or not even driving it) same day-Sat?? The rate requires a Sat nite rental????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.